Sportsnet: Problems in the Leafs' dressing room

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
All this problem in the dressing room is not new news.....Dion can not get along with anyone.

I love how people on here dismiss the Clarkson and Dion exchange because Clarkson had a bad season....it matters little about the season the player had, but the issue at hand.

Here are others that had heated debates with Dion: Verstegg, Schenn, and Aulie all gone as a result of the human turnstile....lets hope it is him that goes this time. Dion went to Burke and they were shipped out....it was the same with any media that asked any questions about these incidents or hinted at trouble in the dressing room. They were embarrassed and not welcomed back into the dressing room to interview players, Burke was a joke and did not ever want to admit about mistakes he made....he would rather shipped the other players out! Look at how he handled the Don Cherry argument....he went behind Cherry's back like a coward to the CBC. We got rid of Burke now finish the job.

If both Bolland and Clarkson understand that our Captain is an issue....then he is going to be shipped out, and I will be among the happiest Leaf fan, as then we can start building a team!

Not arguing, but how do you know all this? Interested in reading more about this if you have any links.

ThirdRowGreens

Nov 18, 2011
Ottawa
Crappy podcasts like this one that "speculate beyond reason" are just mental masturbating.
100% waste.
Probably why NHL Hockey players don't want to play in Toronto.
We have a cap that prevents the Leafs from spending the most, and a media that sucks so bad that players don't want to come here.
To put up with the media, ideally we could pay them more. But not with the cap.
Just another reason Toronto has the deck stacked against them.

You're totally right man. I mean, look at all the problems the New York Yankees have signing great players because of the media spotlight there.

MrBungle

Mar 21, 2010
Oakville
You're totally right man. I mean, look at all the problems the New York Yankees have signing great players because of the media spotlight there.

The Yankees have no problems winning championships, though. The media pressure is bearable if you know you can win a World Series.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA

Guess you missed the line in his post that referenced the cap? What's the Yankee payroll relative to the MLB average?

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
We do not hear much of what goes on with the Leafs between team mates etc. As explained above.

Why did Nonis sign him....he tried to trade him and was very close, but in the end did not pull the trigger, was it his decision? Nonis was put in difficult place of either ship him out, let him walk for nothing or resigning him. The Leaf organization chose to resign him....

If you have been paying attention this week it has been very clear that Tim felt that Nonis needed help and I do not believe that Nonis made any decision with out the permission of Tim....

maybe those at the top though the player return for DION might threaten making the POs this year.

maybe that is where Dion and is astute agent found the ground/leverage, pressure point in getting DN to cave into this horrid contract.

asdf

Mar 8, 2006
I would argue that DION had a greater responsibility to the organisation and his team mates to ink a more friendly contract.

He is our Captain, supposed leader and he was on that roster when he inked.

His cap hit and pay only serves Dion , it can be fairly argued, that cap hit really hurts the team he is "supposed to be leading toward a Stanley Cup and by example"

Clarkson was not part of the team at that time , he owed nothing and no allegiances to anyone , Nonis caved AGAIN and spent on a player who puts greed and selfserving at the top of the list.

I'm not the biggest fan of Phaneuf's contract, but this is a reach. Because he has a C on his jersey he should take a discount while everybody else is getting overpaid? And no matter how much a player signs for, they always could have signed for less.

Sundin made top dollar, as did Sakic, Yzerman and others. Does that make them lesser leaders? Look what Captain Shea Weber (who pretty much everybody, myself included, would love to have on this team) did to his team, signing a poison pill contract with the Flyers.

Or what about Phil Kessel. I don't see as much kvetching over his new contract, which is even larger. Shouldn't he have taken a discount, especially considering the boatload given to acquire him? Or is he allowed to cash in because he doesn't have a letter on his jersey?

You say it's greed and self-serving, but that's the way it is everywhere. Not just one player.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I'm not the biggest fan of Phaneuf's contract, but this is a reach. Because he has a C on his jersey he should take a discount while everybody else is getting overpaid? And no matter how much a player signs for, they always could have signed for less.

Sundin made top dollar, as did Sakic, Yzerman and others. Does that make them lesser leaders? Look what Captain Shea Weber (who pretty much everybody, myself included, would love to have on this team) did to his team, signing a poison pill contract with the Flyers.

Or what about Phil Kessel. I don't see as much kvetching over his new contract, which is even larger. Shouldn't he have taken a discount, especially considering the boatload given to acquire him? Or is he allowed to cash in because he doesn't have a letter on his jersey?

You say it's greed and self-serving, but that's the way it is everywhere. Not just one player.

Bergeron at 6.5m

Datsyuk at 7.5m--- both inked under this new CBA ,,oh look both inked with franchise we would kill to emulate, coincidence?

say

hello, I'm a true leader.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
We do not hear much of what goes on with the Leafs between team mates etc. As explained above.

Why did Nonis sign him....he tried to trade him and was very close, but in the end did not pull the trigger, was it his decision? Nonis was put in difficult place of either ship him out, let him walk for nothing or resigning him. The Leaf organization chose to resign him....

If you have been paying attention this week it has been very clear that Tim felt that Nonis needed help and I do not believe that Nonis made any decision with out the permission of Tim....

Who did he almost trade him for?

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
Bergeron at 6.5m

Datsyuk at 7.5m--- both inked under this new CBA ,,oh look both inked with franchise we would kill to emulate, coincidence?

say

hello, I'm a true leader.

The thing is though is that many in the media were saying that is what he would have gotten if he hit free agency and maybe a little more. With A.MacDonald just signed for 6yrs and 30mill, it's not that bad of a deal. They can still trade him if there is a team that wants him. No one wanted Campbells contract but it was moved.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
That may have been the way with the Media(mostly print) in the past where being shut out by a Team would lose you your job.
In an age where bloggers can be considered media, things don't remain quiet. Getting these scoops is how you get yourself a name, seperate yourself from the pack.
No chance the multitudes who would have known of this would have kept it quiet.

Very good point. And it's not like we're talking about Kessel here, who would probably get more courtesy out of respect for potential future interviews. Reporters trying to generate hits aren't going to be worried about the wrath of Kris Versteeg and Keith Aulie.

Some posters in this thread have to quit talking like they have insider information unless they're prepared to back it up. Let's deal in facts and not conjecture and assumptions.

hockeyfanz*

Guess you missed the line in his post that referenced the cap? What's the Yankee payroll relative to the MLB average?

Shut up with the cap...Whats the Leafs excuse pre-2004? Coulda spent a billion dollars on payroll...still wouldnt help.

Stop with the lame excuses. Are the Leafs the only team with cap restrictions? What a joke.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad