Sportsnet: Problems in the Leafs' dressing room

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Decent Team that quit = bring in Tony Robbins for some motivational speaking = Stanley Cup.

No No No.

This team was lucky early on and then got exposed.
Add in some bad luck (Bernier) and panic ... and that was the collapse.

The Dressing room problems start with bad results on the ice.

The dressing room issues started as soon as Dion walked in....like an idiot...who felt entitled...changed the music. Then complained constantly to Burke and Nonis.

number72

Oct 9, 2011
The dressing room issues started as soon as Dion walked in....like an idiot...who felt entitled...changed the music. Then complained constantly to Burke and Nonis.

All of Burke's mistakes are still haunting the leafs. Caryle, Nonis, Phaneuf as C, the kessel trade that sent back the leafs proper rebuild, drafting and signing gritty character and low skilled players like Biggs.

Burke's influences is still being felt with the low puck possession style of hockey the leafs play and never ending seasonal collapses.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Decent Team that quit = bring in Tony Robbins for some motivational speaking = Stanley Cup.

No No No.

This team was lucky early on and then got exposed.
Add in some bad luck (Bernier) and panic ... and that was the collapse.

The Dressing room problems start with bad results on the ice.

the snow balling effect gets mitigated by a strong dressing room.

Cool Hand Luke

May 27, 2008
I just remembered a night 3 years ago that I was out with a old highschool buddy and with him was a friend (yeah a buddy of a buddy story) who is some well known poker player in Toronto. I don't really follow poker players so I'd be hard pressed to remember his name but I'll try and ask. Anyway, he was playing @ a table with Kessel and said Kessel was saying how much of a blowhard Dion was and couldn't stand him.

Always thought B.S. but maybe there was some truth to it. Bottom line is that we will probably never really know.

I know these "buddy of a buddy" stories are ridiculous, but I have heard sooo many of these about Phaneuf, both from his days in Calgary and his time here. When you start to hear things like this over and over and over, I start to wonder if they are true. Just think about it for a second.

If you hated Phaneuf as a person(hypothetically), and he was forced upon you as a captain/leader and wasn't very good at it, and then...Nonis gives him an 7 year extension which pretty much establishes that he will continue to be the captain for at least the next 4 or 5 years, wouldn't you stop giving a ****?

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
I know these "buddy of a buddy" stories are ridiculous, but I have heard sooo many of these about Phaneuf, both from his days in Calgary and his time here. When you start to hear things like this over and over and over, I start to wonder if they are true. Just think about it for a second.

If you hated Phaneuf as a person(hypothetically), and he was forced upon you as a captain/leader and wasn't very good at it, and then...Nonis gives him an 7 year extension which pretty much establishes that he will continue to be the captain for at least the next 4 or 5 years, wouldn't you stop giving a ****?

We'll never know until one of these guys writes a book or gets drunk and spills on a reality show. For all we know his problems are with Lupul, Kulemin, Franson, Reimer and we see them go and we think nothing about it.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Hey guys,

It seems as though there are definitely problems in the Leafs' dressing room.

According to the Toronto Sun, there have been whispers during the season that there were ripples of discontent among the players, and that newcomers David Clarkson and Dave Bolland weren’t impressed by the maturity, or lack of it, demonstrated by some of their teammates.

In turn, Clarkson was said to not always have meshed with some of the other Leafs. Clarkson and captain Dion Phaneuf had a heated argument outside the dressing room before a game in Anaheim on the morning of March 10, but it wasn’t clear whether that was an isolated incident or part of something larger.

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/04/14/maple-leafs-coach-randy-carlyles-job-could-be-in-jeopardy

There have been whispers during the season that there were ripples of discontent among the players, and that newcomers David Clarkson and Dave Bolland weren’t impressed by the maturity, or lack of it, demonstrated by some of their teammates.

In turn, Clarkson was said to not always have meshed with some of the other Leafs. Clarkson and captain Dion Phaneuf had a heated argument outside the dressing room before a game in Anaheim on the morning of March 10, but it wasn’t clear whether that was an isolated incident or part of something larger.

Though Bolland has expressed a desire to return, he has been frustrated with a lack of character, a source said, and that could be a determining factor in whether he goes to the open market on July 1.

The thinking is Bolland is keeping an eye on unrestricted free agency, with the Florida Panthers and Montreal Canadiens as possible destinations.

TheVision

Sep 18, 2011
Hey guys,

According to the Toronto Sun, there have been whispers during the season that there were ripples of discontent among the players, and that newcomers David Clarkson and Dave Bolland weren’t impressed by the maturity, or lack of it, demonstrated by some of their teammates.

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/04/14/maple-leafs-coach-randy-carlyles-job-could-be-in-jeopardy

Now if only we could obtain Scott Hartnell, maybe then our Captain will be brought down a few pegs. Add in the Schenns and Keith Aulie as well.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Hey guys,

Odd when we hear about every little thing with this Team but a "heated argument" is kept quiet for over a month.

TML FTW*

Hey guys,

I wonder how impressed the rest of the team was with Clarkson who had a bloated contract and was the worst player on the team?

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585
If Bolland went to the Habs they would immediately become a lot better. He would be a great fit there. For all the grief the "smurfs" get, they play with a lot of heart.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
We'll never know until one of these guys writes a book or gets drunk and spills on a reality show. For all we know his problems are with Lupul, Kulemin, Franson, Reimer and we see them go and we think nothing about it.

or you can attempt to be astute, try reading between the lines and have a measure of "where there is smoke there might be fire"

I ask you this teeder.

how many people said or thought during JFJ jrs time that

everything he was doing was just to get them back into the playoffs.

then we find out years later , that "THE BOARD" set a mandate that they budgeted for atleast 3 playoff games.

ummm ,so our GMs top priority is to do his best to meet his bosses top/1rst mandates and goals?

does that put into a clearer light the Rask trade, toskola trade and some other moves?

sure does to me.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
or you can attempt to be astute, try reading between the lines and have a measure of "where there is smoke there might be fire"

I ask you this teeder.

how many people said or thought during JFJ jrs time that

everything he was doing was just to get them back into the playoffs.

Ferguson stated his vision in his intiial press conference which was to bring the Leafs up to date in the scouting department and to build the team from the draft up, in other words complete rebuild.

Tanenbaum was never on board with his hiring because it was Richard Peddies hiring and thus torpedoed every move so much so that Craig Button whom Ferguson hired quit in the middle of a management meeting.

The feud that existed between Evil Larry and Peddie was enough to screw up Leafs decisions for year. When Pulver was having a problem getting more then 5 years at 4.5 from Ferguson for his client he merely called Tanenbaum. Tanenbaum then ordered JFj to give him whatever it was he wanted plus the now infamous NMC and thats how Mccabe got so vastly overpaid.

then we find out years later , that "THE BOARD" set a mandate that they budgeted for atleast 3 playoff games.

that was for this year, and any major company always projects their budgets based on best case scenario

does that put into a clearer light the Rask trade, toskola trade and some other moves?

sure does to me.

Rask was holding out for top ten pick money or would not sign with the Leafs. they were getting near the 2 year limit for signing draftees and so put they're money on Poggie's future but still needed a goalie immediately.

there were a few UFA's but none that would provide the help they needed nor at the right price, Raycroft was willing to sign for the money they had earmarked for a goaltender and Rask was the price

most at the time said the move was a gamble not because everybody knew Rask was going to be a superstar but because they weren't sure how long Raycrofts wonky knee would last, if only they knew it was what was going on between his ears was the real problem

Toskala was unfortunately a panic move trying to counter the Raycroft move, but again Vesa's number in San Jose playing behind Nabokov were fairly strong and don't forget San Jose chose to initially keep Toskala figuring he was the future instead of Kiprusoff who had been sent to Calgary

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
imo dion had a far better season than clarkson

it was probably hard for the players on the team to take clarkson seriously bc of how bad he was

I would argue that DION had a greater responsibility to the organisation and his team mates to ink a more friendly contract.

He is our Captain, supposed leader and he was on that roster when he inked.

His cap hit and pay only serves Dion , it can be fairly argued, that cap hit really hurts the team he is "supposed to be leading toward a Stanley Cup and by example"

Clarkson was not part of the team at that time , he owed nothing and no allegiances to anyone , Nonis caved AGAIN and spent on a player who puts greed and selfserving at the top of the list.

Last edited:

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
I would like another year of Clarkson with maybe a different coaching staff or part of a different coaching staff. I just don't believed he was utilized properly.

They have to make a decision on Reimer. He believes he is starting material, I believe he will never find a better gig than be a back up in Toronto.

Seems to me that there seems to be discontent with Dion in two different dressing rooms. I would like to see him move on if they can do it. Some on here will cry but I believe it would be addition by subtraction.

No need to blow this team up, they just need refining and a Pat Burns approach where everyone has a strict role to play. Play it or you are out.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
All this problem in the dressing room is not new news.....Dion can not get along with anyone.

I love how people on here dismiss the Clarkson and Dion exchange because Clarkson had a bad season....it matters little about the season the player had, but the issue at hand.

Here are others that had heated debates with Dion: Verstegg, Schenn, and Aulie all gone as a result of the human turnstile....lets hope it is him that goes this time. Dion went to Burke and they were shipped out....it was the same with any media that asked any questions about these incidents or hinted at trouble in the dressing room. They were embarrassed and not welcomed back into the dressing room to interview players, Burke was a joke and did not ever want to admit about mistakes he made....he would rather shipped the other players out! Look at how he handled the Don Cherry argument....he went behind Cherry's back like a coward to the CBC. We got rid of Burke now finish the job.

If both Bolland and Clarkson understand that our Captain is an issue....then he is going to be shipped out, and I will be among the happiest Leaf fan, as then we can start building a team!

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Toskala was unfortunately a panic move trying to counter the Raycroft move, but again Vesa's number in San Jose playing behind Nabokov were fairly strong and don't forget San Jose chose to initially keep Toskala figuring he was the future instead of Kiprusoff who had been sent to Calgary

Burke even thought enough of Toskala to make the Kessel deal.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Ferguson stated his vision in his intiial press conference which was to bring the Leafs up to date in the scouting department and to build the team from the draft up, in other words complete rebuild.

Tanenbaum was never on board with his hiring because it was Richard Peddies hiring and thus torpedoed every move so much so that Craig Button whom Ferguson hired quit in the middle of a management meeting.

The feud that existed between Evil Larry and Peddie was enough to screw up Leafs decisions for year. When Pulver was having a problem getting more then 5 years at 4.5 from Ferguson for his client he merely called Tanenbaum. Tanenbaum then ordered JFj to give him whatever it was he wanted plus the now infamous NMC and thats how Mccabe got so vastly overpaid.

that was for this year, and any major company always projects their budgets based on best case scenario

Rask was holding out for top ten pick money or would not sign with the Leafs. they were getting near the 2 year limit for signing draftees and so put they're money on Poggie's future but still needed a goalie immediately.

there were a few UFA's but none that would provide the help they needed nor at the right price, Raycroft was willing to sign for the money they had earmarked for a goaltender and Rask was the price

most at the time said the move was a gamble not because everybody knew Rask was going to be a superstar but because they weren't sure how long Raycrofts wonky knee would last, if only they knew it was what was going on between his ears was the real problem

like I have been preaching since I joined this board.

"What is ownerships top, first to address priority"

after 41 years of following it boils down to "just get us into the playoffs'

I am not creative enough to articulate it any better then that.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
All this problem in the dressing room is not new news.....Dion can not get along with anyone.

I love how people on here dismiss the Clarkson and Dion exchange because Clarkson had a bad season....it matters little about the season the player had, but the issue at hand.

Here are others that had heated debates with Dion: Verstegg, Schenn, and Aulie all gone as a result of the human turnstile....lets hope it is him that goes this time. Dion went to Burke and they were shipped out....it was the same with any media that asked any questions about these incidents or hinted at trouble in the dressing room. They were embarrassed and not welcomed back into the dressing room to interview players, Burke was a joke and did not ever want to admit about mistakes he made....he would rather shipped the other players out! Look at how he handled the Don Cherry argument....he went behind Cherry's back like a coward to the CBC. We got rid of Burke now finish the job.

If both Bolland and Clarkson understand that our Captain is an issue....then he is going to be shipped out, and I will be among the happiest Leaf fan, as then we can start building a team!

I heard Dion and Schenn didn't get along, but do you have links to arguments with Versteeg and Aulie or is it just conjecture?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I heard Dion and Schenn didn't get along, but do you have links to arguments with Versteeg and Aulie or is it just conjecture?

It's all conjecture.

Although if there were the odd dispute, it certainly wouldn't make the Leafs unique to this, it happens all over the league.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
like I have been preaching since I joined this board.

"What is ownerships top, first to address priority"

after 41 years of following it boils down to "just get us into the playoffs'

I am not creative enough to articulate it any better then that.

You have to admit though, after taking Boston to game 7 and a couple of nice additions in the summer that this franchise was about to turn around. They have enough guys there to stand up to the board and all preach patience with Lieweuke, Shanahan and Nonis. We have some nice pieces and now we have to dwindle down a few players to get the rot out.

I believe, after a strong draft, that this team can become very competitive next year. It takes time. Great organizations, franchises and companies have always dealt with adversity. We have to stop going back to JFJ and Burke and focus on the now. If we don't, 47 years with turn into 75 really quick.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00