Pro Style, Roller, or Carry Bags?

29Potvins

Jul 17, 2012
I'm pretty surprised to see all this anti-wheel sentiment. It's not 'manly' to have wheels on your bag? One's not a 'real' hockey player if their bag have wheels? What is this? I like reading the 'Gear that will get you chirped' thread, but sometimes between that thread and this one, I wonder how old the posters are.. or how insecure they are.

In case you're wondering, I have never heard a word from anyone about my bag.

neumann103

Feb 20, 2010
I'm pretty surprised to see all this anti-wheel sentiment. It's not 'manly' to have wheels on your bag? One's not a 'real' hockey player if their bag have wheels? What is this? I like reading the 'Gear that will get you chirped' thread, but sometimes between that thread and this one, I wonder how old the posters are.. or how insecure they are.

I assumed that most posters were just joking. Or dicks. I have played about 800 beer league games and never heard anyone chirped about have wheels on his bag. It is not a tinted visor FFS.

On my main team it is about 50/50 wheeled vs carry. My other team has a few more kids who have team bags left over from the teams, but seems generally more carry bag heavy.

I popped into this thread because I need a new bag and wanted some input. The thing is, lots of people have different criteria, leading to different conclusions. My criteria are specific enough that I told my wife that while I would love a new bag for Xmas, the chances that she or some random guy at the local hockey store would psychically divine mine are small. I have something functional now. Chances are anything she picked up would not be better in a significant way.

I am kinda the organizer for my regular team so I carry extra jerseys, socks, pucks, padlocks, laces, screws, water bottles, first aid kit, a spare elbow pad here and there...
Anything that can be laundered gets laundered every use. Everything that can't be gets febreezed and aired out. Laundered things do not go into a compartment with dirty things.

The result is that what I end up needing:
Something on the large side, maybe 40" x 18" x 18"
A separate pocket at each end for isolation of clean things.
Decent fabric and heavy duty zippers.
Skate pockets are preferred but not essential. If they are there having them not be too sticky-outy is good.
And - shame on me - having wheels is nice.

I play twice a week, year round in Toronto, so the bag sees some exposure to the elements. I am lucky to get 18 months out of a bag.

Normally it is the zippers that go as a result of the strain of overstuffing the bag. I have considered a goalie bag or an oversized team bag style, but they tend not to have separate pockets for clean stuff. At least the ones i have seen. I expect because it would be cruel to ask a goalie to carry extra stuff, and on a higher level organized team with actual staff a coach or equipment manager would carry extra pucks, jerseys etc.

I have looked at these tower style bags but while they look like a potentially ergonomic solution, they don't seem to have much in the way of extra space. Plus they are not cheap and don't seem to go on sale much.

I would be willing to pay for a solution that worked and lasted, but as long as something is going to be a compromise or get replaced almost once a year I don't feel inclined to break the bank.

For the last 8 months or so I have been using a pretty standard Sherwood carry bag. It has decent sized pockets on each end and slightly awkward external skate pockets on one side. It's okay, and in the territory of "good enough until I see something better" but it has no wheels and is a bit on the small side. As a result of the latter (and being routinely overstuffed) I don't expect the zippers to last. I always have something like that lying around as I keep looking for something that really works.

The loading of the bag also seems to make it more awkward to carry. The weight is not a big deal, but whether it is the distribution or just the fact that it is stuffed to the gills it just seems not to sit on my shoulder well. Team bags or even goalie bags that aren't crammed to overflowing seem to have the ability to conform, sitting on the hip a bit, I dunno. Maybe longer straps on this thing would help, but it tends to bounce and swing and slip. And that is the main reason I want wheels.

I buy things that look plausible when on sale. They might last a year. I might use one for my kids. I always have something as a spare in case one busts.

Anyhow my two cents.

Mikwammichi

Jun 25, 2014

Wow! I sure hope carrying my own bag doesn't make me manly. I would have got a pink wheel bag with sparkles and tassels. Otherwise how would people know I'm a real woman? I also didn't realize being manly, or even being a "real hockey player" was so easy - just carry stuff around!

I thought being a real hockey player, and being a real man or woman, was about wayyy more than that. I understand people have their opinions and preferences and some here are valid (wheeled bags can be disruptive if you're not careful, etc) but really, unless you're a teenager, do you care that much?

I have a pro style bag - it says I voted for Carry, but I might not have known what pro style meant when I voted, or that was before my husband bought me my Warrior Pro. I also have the duffel version for shinny I got myself. They are spacious and tough! On my weak days, like when I feel rusty or tired or haven't eaten or slept enough, I can't carry any extra gear in my full sized one - good reminder to stay in shape as I age.

Also, I'm glad my husband doesn't think he has to carry everything on his back all the time in order to be a man. It looks really dumb sometimes. Anyway he knows it's his choice of vehicle that really makes him a man. He has carry bag for player gear, Grit Sumo for goal.

I'd never get a wheeled bag because I break stuff too much and I'd be blindly running over toes etc.

10coach*

Feb 21, 2014

You shouldn't use a wheeled bag. As someone said if your bag has wheels you don't.

LarryO

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Arrrrgh, I carry my hockey gear in this. Anyone who uses a bag is not a real man.
wooden-chest-14506397.jpg

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008
Says who? Mine's been fine. You get what you pay for I guess. Buy a cheap bag, carry or roller and it will fall apart.

And it's a general saying, usually about your job. Obviously it is not "hard" for you to carry a bag, but it's most definitely easier to roll it.

I've watched several of my wheel bag friends replace their bag every year or two and they constantly complain about how their bags are falling apart and they're not cheap bags. as for easier to roll, I'm not sure I'd say that either. I'm sure it's different everywhere but where I play the locker rooms are usually kind of small and I'm always seeing the late arrivers with wheel bags struggling to get them into the room over all the other bags.

wils5150

Mar 19, 2014
massachusetts
I've watched several of my wheel bag friends replace their bag every year or two and they constantly complain about how their bags are falling apart and they're not cheap bags. as for easier to roll, I'm not sure I'd say that either. I'm sure it's different everywhere but where I play the locker rooms are usually kind of small and I'm always seeing the late arrivers with wheel bags struggling to get them into the room over all the other bags.

This ^^^^^

LarryO

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
www.youtube.com

A wheeled bag has handles so you can easily carry it when you need to. Whether you have a wheeled bag or a carry bag, if you arrive last in a small room, you'll struggle to step over everybody else's bags. The difference between a carry or wheeled bag in this case is non-existent. But outside the room, the wheeled bag is easier.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
A wheeled bag has handles so you can easily carry it when you need to. Whether you have a wheeled bag or a carry bag, if you arrive last in a small room, you'll struggle to step over everybody else's bags. The difference between a carry or wheeled bag in this case is non-existent.
For the record, I don't know if I have ever seen someone with a roller bag actually pick it up in the locker room. They tend to tilt it to the side and drag it that way instead of putting it down then picking it up by the straps.

Though to be fair, I haven't seen that many people with roller bags in my playing career.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
When I play goalie, I use a roller bag. I'm usually first in the locker room and last to leave. I used a carry bag for my first session, but I've found I like the roller bag a lot more because it's easier to toss my leg pads over the shoulder and carry my sticks in one hand and pull the bag in the other.

I do use a carry bag while skating out and have no issues with doing so. Wheeled bag as goalie just saves me a lot of logistical bullcrap.

CapsCast

Mar 12, 2008
Arrrrgh, I carry my hockey gear in this. Anyone who uses a bag is not a real man.

Someone finally said it. It's funny to see all these sissified kids posting about their carry bags with those fancy straps and handles.

This is hockey, son. If you need bags with straps to 'carry' your equipment maybe you should be playing something less strenuous like shuffleboard .

The men I play with all use a similar wooden crate that they carry on their backs. It's hard work, but we never, ever get chirped and that's the most important thing.

It's sad to see how soft these so called 'hockey players' with their strap bags have really become.

LarryO

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Someone finally said it. It's funny to see all these sissified kids posting about their carry bags with those fancy straps and handles.

This is hockey, son. If you need bags with straps to 'carry' your equipment maybe you should be playing something less strenuous like shuffleboard .

The men I play with all use a similar wooden crate that they carry on their backs. It's hard work, but we never, ever get chirped and that's the most important thing.

It's sad to see how soft these so called 'hockey players' with their strap bags have really become.

You got it man! And those softies actually drive their bags to the rink! Can you believe it? Talk about bags on wheels. :shakehead If that isn't chirp-worthy, I don't know what is? :dunno:

Huskys

Oct 7, 2011
They chirped goalies when they first put on masks and they chirped guys that started using curved sticks. Being old-school is one thing, but I don't understand all the hate that wheeled bags get.

I use a wheeled bag for the same reason I don't ride a horse to the rink : It's 2014 and technology has made certain things more efficient than they once were.

Everyone is embracing new technology. You're probably doing it too, albeit selectively. Look at your other gear. It's a lot lighter and more protective than it was 20, 15, or even 10 years ago. It's all changing for the better. That's why people still don't use the same wooden 'Christian' sticks they had back in Pee-Wees.

So if you want to chirp progress and efficiency, go ahead, but you would have more credibility if you do so while using a straight, wooden stick and vintage, leather skates.

^^ this.

Like carrying your own bag is some badge of honour :laugh:

I love these backwards people that chirp people for what they carry their gear in. :rolleyes: "Me so strong.. I carry me own gear"

Embrace things that make life easier, like lighter equipment. Buy whatever fits your equipment the best and helps you get your gear to the rink. Don't worry about what a bunch of ******'s think.

PorkChopSandwiches

Oct 31, 2011

i use a carry bag for this reason - too clunky and doesnt fit well in a car with a smaller trunk due to the hard frame.

Huskys

Oct 7, 2011

^^^ Gold

Maybe I could put some wheels on that pirate chest and get some chirps..arrr

Dude you had be laughing way to hard at work. Couldn't word it better myself.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Used to use a roller bag when I was a little kid. Too big, too clunky, actually wore down faster. Used a carry bag ever since I was able to carry the bag from the car to the rink. Would never switch back. The bags aren't heavy at all.

I also would never show up to anything past age 12 with a rolling bag :laugh:

I think it has something to do with the experience growing up. Any sort of competitive hockey won't allow roller bags and most players will carry that along with them. It's a look. Same reason players in AAA/highschool are required to wear a formal shirt/pants/shoes. Its all about the team looking good and professional. Hard to not carry that with you.

PallasAthena29

Jan 11, 2015
Raleigh, NC
I am 100 percent a beginner, and I didn't realize until a clinic last month that the roller bag vs. carry bag was a thing. (I have a roller bag because, duh, I can roll it.) We were in the locker room, and someone said that she had been told that the roller bags were for losers. Hello, high school. I thought it was because she's maybe 20, and she's still in that phase of caring so much what people think about her. Then I found this thread, and WOW. I didn't realize adults did this too.

I have noticed that my bag is wearing down quickly for the use I give it. But it seemed that the only people who had an issue with the rollers were 1) kids (loosely defined) or 2) people who were kids when they started playing.

My bag is fine for a beginner bag. It was 20 percent off, and I like how easy it is on my shoulders. (One rotator cuff awaiting surgery.) When I replace it, I may or may not get one that rolls, but it won't be because I GAF what someone might say in the locker room.

Now, if they came out with a treasure chest with a padded shoulder strap...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad