Pro Style, Roller, or Carry Bags?

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Looking for some input here.

I've been using a backpack style bag for six years now and liked it, but I'm getting tired of having to play Tetris to get all my stuff in, especially when I just want to throw my gear in and go. So I'm thinking of getting a regular bag again.

I noticed that bags today have a different design than they used to. They used to be long duffel bags with tons of pockets and stuff, now it seems like they are going more to the pro style where it's just a big bag with a ton of room. I also see that the roller bags are less like suitcases and more like pro bags with wheels on one end, and are a lot lighter. Lastly, before they used to have shoulder straps and now it seems you just carry them in your hand.

What kind of bag do you prefer? Have you gone to a pro style bag and then missed the pockets? Or did you find that having the extra space made it really nice to pack up gear?

Also, do you like the roller bags or is that just a waste of money?

Double also, any recommendations for good bags that aren't a ton of money?

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
Got to be a carry bag for me. The gear isn't that heavy and when I see someone outside of a goalie wheeling their bag about the place, I got to admit I wonder how many push ups they are capable of doing.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Roller bag and I'm a skater.

My stuff gets in and out of it quickly and it's a lot easier to keep track of my gear. Lost a couple pieces of small gear, water bottles, change of clothes because the carry bags would just mix everything together. But if you don't have amnesia like I do, that isn't an issue.

Also prefer that over my old carry bag because it's easy to dry stuff in it. Saves a lot of space and just need to aim a fan at it and it dries up over night.

mattkaminski15

Feb 25, 2014
Chicago
If your bag has wheels you don't.

LOL.

But really pro style bag for me. Team has them with an extra pocket that the manager paid to have sewn on. Love how much crap i can fit into my bag.

MattGTI

Dec 4, 2010
Milford
I just have a pretty standard Easton bag with a side pocket for your skates that has a mesh for ventilation. I went with it because it's a good size, but not overwhelming. The price point was good, for the build quality. Compared to other bags in it's price range the stitching seemed a little stronger, and the zippers were a bit bulkier.

I've had it for about a year, and it's held up well. It fits all my stuff, and has a bit of extra room if I need it. The only thing I wish it had was an inside pocket to keep things like tape, wax, my inhaler, and small things like that. Other than that it's perfect.

I'm not a fan of roller bags(although they do offer my exact bag just with wheels). I never really have to walk to far with my stuff, and it's not as if equipment is that heavy that I can't walk a few hundred feet.

Never tried one of those compartment bags, they do look useful to me. However I like the idea of just having the open space in a bag like mine to just put stuff in how I see fit.

Good luck finding what you need!

gswift

Mar 27, 2013
Kind of have my eye on the Warrior Pro bag. Looks really durable and easy to spot amongst all the bags in the room.

Exactly the carry bag I would recommend, the internal pockets are just right, durable & the mesh inserts on top really help keep the funk out, the zippers also seem very durable...other than that if it's a wheel bag you're looking for, I really liked the layout of the Easton RS bag...

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
I have a big Nike bag that isn't even necessarily designed for hockey, but fits all my gear easily. It has a pocket on either end for my skates, and a shoulder strap for easy carry.

I've had it for 12 years. No interest in replacing it unless it falls apart.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
Roller, because its easier than carrying it, and I can withstand chirps from kids

Wouldn't ever think to give anyone any locker room comment about it because it's an individual choice and there are more topical things in life. Of course it's easier, but there are some people who always take the elevator up to or down from the first floor too because it's 'easier'.

Don't like seeing parents carrying kids gear for them either, especially when coaching (in any sport).

CapsCast

Mar 12, 2008
Got to be a carry bag for me. The gear isn't that heavy and when I see someone outside of a goalie wheeling their bag about the place, I got to admit I wonder how many push ups they are capable of doing.

They chirped goalies when they first put on masks and they chirped guys that started using curved sticks. Being old-school is one thing, but I don't understand all the hate that wheeled bags get.

I use a wheeled bag for the same reason I don't ride a horse to the rink : It's 2014 and technology has made certain things more efficient than they once were.

Everyone is embracing new technology. You're probably doing it too, albeit selectively. Look at your other gear. It's a lot lighter and more protective than it was 20, 15, or even 10 years ago. It's all changing for the better. That's why people still don't use the same wooden 'Christian' sticks they had back in Pee-Wees.

So if you want to chirp progress and efficiency, go ahead, but you would have more credibility if you do so while using a straight, wooden stick and vintage, leather skates.

kr580

Who knows.
Aug 9, 2009
California
Pro style bag here. I've done the normal player bag thing but tossed it after every single seam and zipper on it broke with normal use. I don't think I would ever bother with a roller bag. Every time I see someone using one of those they flip it a couple times at least. It seems like more of a hassle than it's worth. As long as I can carry a bag I'll stay away from wheels.

intangible

Apr 28, 2010
I use a roller bag for goalie because of my really bad back.

But for playing out it's a carry bag with a compartment at each end, one for my skates and one for my clothes. I like that way better, as it keeps my nasty clothes away from my gear, and also keeps the sweaty equipment away from the steel blades. Win-win.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
My history of bags:

I used a Gear bag from Hockey Giant for a couple years. It was $20. My first one ripped apart and my friend gave me his, the same model. It worked fine. It was the long duffel style. Nice part was it had external skate pockets and jersey pockets plus an area for small accessories. But yeah both bags ripped apart and lots of zippers broke.

Then I tried a Shock Doctor power dry bag...it was huge and heavy and clunky and I hated carrying it around. The heated blower was nice, but I just couldn't deal with an additional 20 pounds of bag.

Lastly I went with a Mission backpack which I still use. I was living in an apartment and going up and down three flights of stairs with it. I really like how easy it is to get in and out of doors vs a regular bag. It's not the lightest but not the heaviest. The downside is there is just no space. I have to stuff pads inside of pads. I also don't like not having pockets for jerseys. Lately everything just ends up strewn about.

So that's why I'm thinking, why not just get a bigger bag with a lot of room on the inside? After a loss I don't want to pack up my bag carefully for 15 minutes, I want to chuck my gear in and split. I don't want to play Tetris anymore. And I honestly don't really like having external pockets for my skates.

Also, I have a second kid on the way, which means my backseat is full of car seats, and I have to put gear in the trunk. The backpack isn't the best fit back there.

Downsides again, I'd like a separate spot for laundry but I don't have one now and I could live without it. The Warrior bag at least has internal skate pockets, which seem interesting.

Another question, do the straps dig into your shoulder? My right shoulder always gets bruised up from the strap digging in when I first put on the backpack. No big deal but it seems like with the pro bag even more pressure would dig into the shoulder.

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008
my friends that have roller bags seem to be replacing them every year or so. roller bags also tend to be bigger and in cramped locker rooms I see my teammates struggling to get them out the door.
I use the Warrior Pro and have for about 2.5 years. it fits perfectly in the back of the car, is incredibly durable (mine still looks like new), the pockets are perfect and it also does well when flying to tourneys.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
They chirped goalies when they first put on masks and they chirped guys that started using curved sticks. Being old-school is one thing, but I don't understand all the hate that wheeled bags get.

I use a wheeled bag for the same reason I don't ride a horse to the rink : It's 2014 and technology has made certain things more efficient than they once were.

Everyone is embracing new technology. You're probably doing it too, albeit selectively. Look at your other gear. It's a lot lighter and more protective than it was 20, 15, or even 10 years ago. It's all changing for the better. That's why people still don't use the same wooden 'Christian' sticks they had back in Pee-Wees.

So if you want to chirp progress and efficiency, go ahead, but you would have more credibility if you do so while using a straight, wooden stick and vintage, leather skates.

Curved sticks and hockey masks are the same thing as wheeled bags? News to me.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Another question, do the straps dig into your shoulder? My right shoulder always gets bruised up from the strap digging in when I first put on the backpack. No big deal but it seems like with the pro bag even more pressure would dig into the shoulder.

The Warrior Pro one does. That's the only gripe I have with mine. There's no shoulder pad on the straps, maybe look for that in another bag.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad