Pro Style, Roller, or Carry Bags?

leer2006

Jan 20, 2010
Transcona
The higher the level of hockey you play generally dictates what type of bag you use. For example my son play's Bantam AA and the team he plays for does not allow roller bags. You either get a team bag(which is a large carry) or purchase a non-team carry bag. Same goes for AAA.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
If your bag has wheels you don't.

LOL.

But really pro style bag for me. Team has them with an extra pocket that the manager paid to have sewn on. Love how much crap i can fit into my bag.

im glad people still know this, i tell my kids this is the case and to be real player you have to carry your bag.

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
Wheeled backpacks with fans and a stick bag are the only way to ensure you fishbowl stays on straight.

also keeps the gleem of your whitetoe capped skates stay mad shiny

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
I got sick of having all black everything. Everyone has a black bag. Now I can spot mine right away. I also got bright red skate soakers to replace my black ones, which I always had to dig around for as they'd hide in the shadows.

Oh, I'll get chirped no matter what I do :laugh: All part of the fun though. I also have one of those monster 6-in-1 rolls of shin tape that gets a good laugh too.

i hear you i bought a pair of thinnies in every color they had so i dont have to search for black socks in my black (carry bag cause wheels are wack)

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Don't be those guys who get the roller bag, please. Unless your over 50 there should be no reason to ever get one. Man up'

edit - unless your a goalie. You have to carry a load of crap so you can get the wheels if need be.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Most/all teams above Bantam won't even allow you to use a roller bag. It makes no difference if you are playing pick up or beer league, use whichever type is most comfortable to you.

You will never, ever see any junior/pro/midget AAA/Senior players using roller bags, regardless of the "technological advancements".

I used 4 different bags one year in junior, all pro leather, that I still have in my basement. (18 year old junior season, Started with my previous teams, cut by said team, picked up by another, traded four games into season, moved provinces, traded again at the halfway point, won league title)

All bags are the same aside from the team logos :laugh:

LarryO

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Most/all teams above Bantam won't even allow you to use a roller bag. It makes no difference if you are playing pick up or beer league, use whichever type is most comfortable to you.

You will never, ever see any junior/pro/midget AAA/Senior players using roller bags, regardless of the "technological advancements".

I used 4 different bags one year in junior, all pro leather, that I still have in my basement. (18 year old junior season, Started with my previous teams, cut by said team, picked up by another, traded four games into season, moved provinces, traded again at the halfway point, won league title)

Is it just a coincidence that your avatar fits the post just above yours? :laugh:

sanityplease

Jun 21, 2011
Used pro-style bags for years. Don't wear shoulder pads very often anymore, didn't need the room & it's tough to get larger bags in the trunk of a small sedan. Bought a bag with wheels on it, always carried it. Until I took a flight with my gear, loaded it & a suitcase up with small bags & rolled them. Hurt my back last summer in a game, could barely walk, sure was nice to have the wheels to pull the bag the 200 yards to the car. It's nice to roll it in a busy arena (week-end tournaments), try getting through a packed arena with a bag on your shoulder, cooler bag & a few sticks. I've rolled it a few times on an icy parking lot when I had a few too many post game pops.

I'm pushing 40, am strong, in very good shape & a very good player, I have nothing to prove to anyone. I carry the bag %99 of the time, but it is nice to have the wheels sometimes.

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
I have a roller bag and I love it. Certainly not because of the wheels, I always carry it, and pulling it makes my back hurt. But it has a pocket for my skates, one for my under armour, socks, and jersey, and one for tape. I just like a bag that lets me find everything right away. But I usually take my entire equipment out before I put it on anyway, so I guess it wouldn't even make a difference.

rh71

Nov 12, 2005
Long Island, NY
I've strained my elbow once before lifting a carry bag and I am always thinking about it as I lift even after it has healed. If you think about it, the lifting motion of the straps to your shoulder involves contorting your elbow at a weird angle for a split second - it's not a simple bicep curl. That's what got me. I wouldn't mind a roller bag these days.

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
From my teen years as a goalie, straight through to my beer league ice hockey and roller hockey leagues as a skater, I never owned a hockey equipment bag. I always carried my stuff in one of my father's old green Army duffel bags.

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
I've strained my elbow once before lifting a carry bag and I am always thinking about it as I lift even after it has healed. If you think about it, the lifting motion of the straps to your shoulder involves contorting your elbow at a weird angle for a split second - it's not a simple bicep curl. That's what got me. I wouldn't mind a roller bag these days.

lol do you pull your groin putting on your shoes too

HighAndTight

Ready To Be Hurt Again
Jan 12, 2008
Victoria, BC

bro-do-you-even-lift_o_917728.jpg

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012

What the heck? Each time you moved each team gave you a new bag? And you got to keep it?

In the NHL when a player gets traded he'll get a new team bag but his new EQ manager will send the old bag back.

As for the topic on hand, I use the Bauer pro style bag because I like everything in one big compartment. Although I do wish it had skate pockets on the inside.

Bbddll

Oct 5, 2014
I have a pro style bag that I use that is 15 years old.
I am 54 and play 3 times a week, would never ever consider a bag with wheels for me.

10coach*

Feb 21, 2014
For officiating I have two bags:
1 roller issued to me which is basically the size of a suitcase. I use that for college especially with the frequent flights and also that I carry 5 different jerseys in it.
If I am local during the weekdays for high school or youth I will just throw my stuff in Bauer team premium duffle bag.

mikitas donut

Flowers of Antimony
Sep 10, 2010
Northern Illinois
I have a Z2 carry bag. Nice and simple with no bells or whistles. Other guys on my team have roller bags with loads of compartments, and that's cool too. I myself just prefer simplicity.

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008
Bought a roller bag about two years ago. Why? Why not?

Work smart, not hard.

why not? because roller bags fall apart much quicker than regular carry bags.
I don't consider it "hard" for me to carry my equipment from the car into the rink.

JaeTM

Dec 3, 2009
Long Island
why not? because roller bags fall apart much quicker than regular carry bags.
I don't consider it "hard" for me to carry my equipment from the car into the rink.

Says who? Mine's been fine. You get what you pay for I guess. Buy a cheap bag, carry or roller and it will fall apart.

And it's a general saying, usually about your job. Obviously it is not "hard" for you to carry a bag, but it's most definitely easier to roll it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad