Confirmed with Link: Prison Break: Jake Gardiner Freed

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Don't think for 1 second that Gardiner is going to win us games...

If we're gonna break out of this slump and keep ourselves in the playoffs the WHOLE TEAM needs to step it up...

However with our offense consisting of dangerous scorers like Kessel, kadri, JVR, Lupul, maybe Gards could do wonders to supplement a good attack... you truly never know what could happen...

And on the other hand, he could have a disastrous go-around in the NHL....

Not gonna jump to any conclusions or anything, but I think were gonna see a lot of both the good and bad of Gards being in the lineup...

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
That's because he has to cover up for all his weak partners. Would you feel comfortable jumping into the rush knowing Holzer was back there?
Well said. More so, Carlyle is actually utilizing Phaneuf's strength in a shut down role at ES and SH. Gardiner needs to be a lot more stronger to be used in such a role. Gardiner and Phaneuf could be effectively used on the PP, however.

It would be better to give Gardiner some sheltered minutes with Kostka who can cover him defensively. Let him QB while Kadri and Lupul are on the ice. Both could be used when Kessel's line is up. This would place a lot less pressure on the top pairing as well.

Leaf4Life

Feb 8, 2010
Don't think for 1 second that Gardiner is going to win us games...

If we're gonna break out of this slump and keep ourselves in the playoffs the WHOLE TEAM needs to step it up...

However with our offense consisting of dangerous scorers like Kessel, kadri, JVR, Lupul, maybe Gards could do wonders to supplement a good attack... you truly never know what could happen...

And on the other hand, he could have a disastrous go-around in the NHL....

Not gonna jump to any conclusions or anything, but I think were gonna see a lot of both the good and bad of Gards being in the lineup...

Either way you cut it it's still better than Holzer in the lineup.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
I would have to think they go:

Phaneuf-Franson
Gardiner-Gunnarsson
Liles-Fraser

They probably don't want to break up the Fraser-Franson pairing though.

Which is a shame, because I thought Phaneuf - Franson looked quite good.

Lack of mobility on paper, perhaps, but they seemed fine to me. Wouldn't mind giving it another spin.

RonEllisFan

Nov 8, 2009
Rjukan
skidooelan.blogspot.com
I think Gardiner will help the leafs with getting more goals, but the question is will he help us keep the goals against down. Randy's not a run and gun style guy, hope Gardiner is reponsible in his own end. But it will be cool to see him up and what he can do, watched him in the AHL and he was the best guy on the ice many nights.

Bernier the Boats

Formerly BBurke
Aug 31, 2011
http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2...aple-leafs-defence-learn-to-love-cody-franson

Good article.

I would say we should try:

Phaneuf-Franson
Gardiner-Gunnarsson
Liles-Fraser

Franson may be offensive-minded, but he doesn't try to do too much in the offensive zone. He doesn't go into corners and get caught deep in the opposing zone. He would be our best bet as a compliment to Phaneuf, especially taking into account his right shot.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I firmly believe Gardiner will make a difference. Just watch.

Even Liles made a difference, I think Jake will too. The aHL experiment is coming to an end finally, or as I have seen it, the nightmare.

1 D left to replace in Gunner, not because he is a poor D but because that hip is clearly effecting his game. Hi Komisarek

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2...aple-leafs-defence-learn-to-love-cody-franson

Good article.

I would say we should try:

Phaneuf-Franson
Gardiner-Gunnarsson
Liles-Fraser

Franson may be offensive-minded, but he doesn't try to do too much in the offensive zone. He doesn't go into corners and get caught deep in the opposing zone. He would be our best bet as a compliment to Phaneuf, especially taking into account his right shot.

Franson is well due to Frasers strong defensive play. Phaneuf won't provide that.

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
Which is a shame, because I thought Phaneuf - Franson looked quite good.

Lack of mobility on paper, perhaps, but they seemed fine to me. Wouldn't mind giving it another spin.

I wouldnt mind seeing if Franson can handle increased ice time (say 22 minutes) and still provide solid hockey

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Keep it simple

Phaneuf Gunnar
Kostka Gardiner
Fraser Franson

Or if you want Liles in

Phaneuf Franson
Liles Gunnar
Fraser Gardiner

Penalty Kill Icing*

Next step: replace Gunnar with Komisarek.

In b4 people ignoring Komisarek's play and saying "He sucked under Wilson, so he also sucks under Carlyle" talk. Matter of fact is, he had been pretty good in limited time this season.

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
Well said. More so, Carlyle is actually utilizing Phaneuf's strength in a shut down role at ES and SH. Gardiner needs to be a lot more stronger to be used in such a role. Gardiner and Phaneuf could be effectively used on the PP, however.

It would be better to give Gardiner some sheltered minutes with Kostka who can cover him defensively. Let him QB while Kadri and Lupul are on the ice. Both could be used when Kessel's line is up. This would place a lot less pressure on the top pairing as well.

I agree that Phaneuf is best utilized as a shut-down D. Further I think if he were paired with a good PMD and instructed to play a simple shut down game, Dion would be at his best. However, I don't think he plays that way. With both Holger and Kostka, he had more the PMD role...I think its the same with Gunnar. Phaneuf gets in trouble when he tries to freelance which is not his strength.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad