Helene St. James Prices likely too high; Wings may well decide to go with what they've got

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Tuukka Rask is supposedly getting 7 mil per season on his next contract.

The word "overpaying" gets thrown around a lot... but this fits that perfectly. Only a 1 year starter for 8 years? Ouch. Pressure on now...

he was awesome before this year, he just had to contend with a conn smyth trophy winning goalie(who may have also won the vezina)

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
he was awesome before this year, he just had to contend with a conn smyth trophy winning goalie(who may have also won the vezina)

I know he's a great goaltender, but it's the 8 years thing. Seems a little soon to commit that much this early.

Howard really isn't that much worse, and will be making nearly 2 mil less a season :yo:

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
What's your definition of a "good year"?

Being solidly entrenched in a playoff spot throughout the season. Being top four in the conference, not at the bottom fighting it out with the likes of Columbus and Dallas and Minnesota or whatever perennial bottom feeder for a playoff spot until the last day of the season. The playoffs were fun and we went farther than anyone expected. But it seems to new playing tricks with people's recollection of the season.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It means the standards for success have been lowered. This team is mediocre so just getting to the second round is now considered a success.

I don't understand how the expectation for a team can be to finish in the top 2 or 4 every single year. I don't see how making the 2nd round is a bad thing. Unless people think anything short of hoisting a cup every year is a failure.

There has to be a middle point for people. It seems like everyone wants us to be Cup Champions or tank and get the #1 pick. You have to be realistic.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I know he's a great goaltender, but it's the 8 years thing. Seems a little soon to commit that much this early.

Howard really isn't that much worse, and will be making nearly 2 mil less a season :yo:

i love howard and think his contract is great but rask is easily a top 5 NHL goalie behind lundqvist, price and possibly rinne and thats about it

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
I don't understand how the expectation for a team can be to finish in the top 2 or 4 every single year. I don't see how making the 2nd round is a bad thing. Unless people think anything short of hoisting a cup every year is a failure.

There has to be a middle point for people. It seems like everyone wants us to be Cup Champions or tank and get the #1 pick. You have to be realistic.

No you're moving the goalposts and exaggerating now. No one said getting to the second is bad. What we are saying is sometimes it matters how you get there. We didn't get there by virtue of a very good season. We won a round after a rather poor regular season. I'm looking at the playoffs as in a vacuum detached from where this team is heading.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
I'm gonna go with "because he has little connection to reality"; this is the same man who thought he'd easily move Lou's contract for profit.

One of the many GM's who make me very glad we employ Ken Holland even when I don't agree with all his decisions.

Agreed. As I've said before, Gillis is the problem in Vancouver.

RedWingsNow*

Poster A: The Red Wings are on the decline
Majority of fans: No they are not you're being negative
Poster A" The Red Wings are on the decline
Majority of fans: No they are not, you're being negative
Poster A: The Red Wings are on the decline:
Poster A: The Red Wings are on the decline
Majority of fans: Of course they are, no team can be at the top forever

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
If you're a baseball guy... Think what the Red Sox did in 2010. In a cap free world like the MLB, you can maybe get away with bad contracts like what the Red Sox did with Carl Crawford. You're are effed if you do this in a cap league. Prices are too high? Don't overpay for them. Keep that cap space for when you have to give your young guys raises, or when there's this one guy on the market you have a legit shot at. If you seriously think that FA can make this team a SC contender, well... I don't know what to say.

If you an FA can make this team a contender??? What the hell kind of comment is that? Who else is going to make teams contenders if they're building rosters? Trading with assets? Hey, that price was too high too.

Or are you overlooking history? How about Rafalski? Was one FA just enough to get them closer, or maybe a couple guys, a trade here and there-- you know, tweaking a roster.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
I think we'll be right up against it this year. Looks like we've got $10.7M in space atm, with upcoming contracts to Smith, Nyquist, and Andersson on the RFA front, and Cleary, Brunner, and Weiss on the potential UFA front. You do the math.

I see a lot of teams taking advantage of something called an amnesty buy-out, assuming the problem actually will be cap space.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I have such a soft spot for the movie Slapshot... torn...

I'm in. Let's put on the foil!

Edit: Off topic, but if anyone in this thread hasn't voted for FlashyG in the Waffle Cup, do so here: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1457139.

Dude makes the best Game Day Threads on the intarwebs and he's up against the massive wall of Canadian votes a team like Montreal gets. Do NOT let us look less committed than ISLANDERS fans!

I cant vote in the poll.

Maybe im not a real member?? not sure why i cant vote

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
I see a lot of teams taking advantage of something called an amnesty buy-out, assuming the problem actually will be cap space.

Oddly enough; this is another area where our insistence on signing a bunch of 2-3 million dollar players instead of playing rooks and "5 guys who eat up 60% of the cap" hurts us.

Our buyouts are smaller/less effective/won't help us rebuild top 2 lines or top 4 defense pairings.

I'm really starting to hate these 2 year contracts to guys in their mid 30's.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
If you an FA can make this team a contender??? What the hell kind of comment is that? Who else is going to make teams contenders if they're building rosters? Trading with assets? Hey, that price was too high too.

Or are you overlooking history? How about Rafalski? Was one FA just enough to get them closer, or maybe a couple guys, a trade here and there-- you know, tweaking a roster.

Let me rephrase what I said. You don't FA your way into championships like the Yankees. FA is best served in getting that last piece of the puzzle you need. You should have most of your team put together already.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
poster a: The red wings are on the decline
majority of fans: No they are not you're being negative
poster a" the red wings are on the decline
majority of fans: No they are not, you're being negative
poster a: The red wings are on the decline:
poster a: The red wings are on the decline
majority of fans: we're on the rebound

fify

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Let me rephrase what I said. You don't FA your way into championships like the Yankees. FA is best served in getting that last piece of the puzzle you need. You should have most of your team put together already.

thats exactly what i ahve been saying for years

you accomplish this by
-drafting high
-trading up in the draft
-trading for young high end talent
-offer sheets

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
Oddly enough; this is another area where our insistence on signing a bunch of 2-3 million dollar players instead of playing rooks and "5 guys who eat up 60% of the cap" hurts us.

Our buyouts are smaller/less effective/won't help us rebuild top 2 lines or top 4 defense pairings.

I'm really starting to hate these 2 year contracts to guys in their mid 30's.
A lot of teams are using amnesty buyouts in order to get under the cap, or get cap space to fill out the rest of their roster with cheap pieces.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The issue in Vancouver is that only one team can win a cup every year. It is tough to do and an ill-fated hip check by Hamhuis likely cost them the cup. That and traveling a much more physically demanding road to get there. They were close and they had a window and came up short unfortunately for them. But that wasn't a poorly constructed team and probably should have won a cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad