Helene St. James Prices likely too high; Wings may well decide to go with what they've got

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
http://www.freep.com/article/20130702/SPORTS05/307020109

General manager Ken Holland is continuing talks with his other two UFA forwards, Daniel Cleary and Damien Brunner, and the negotiations are close enough that deals could still happen.

Knew this would happen. This would be a great scenario if Samuelsson, Bertuzzi and Cleary weren't coming back. But that won't happen - brace yourself for a full season of a lineup with Cleary, Samuelsson and Bertuzzi in the top 6.

Good game.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto

Knew this would happen. This would be a great scenario if Samuelsson, Bertuzzi and Cleary weren't coming back. But that won't happen - brace yourself for a full season of a lineup with Cleary, Samuelsson and Bertuzzi in the top 6.

Good game.

I would link to my series of articles predicting exactly this with dates on them and everything but:

A) against forum rules

B) **** it, too depressed :(

cupforwings09

Mar 30, 2010
Michigan
Wow. I can't believe they don't do anything.... i guess the upside is they plan on bringing up Jurco, Sheahan and Ferarro next year (and probably parts of this year)...... I don't know though

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Clarkson wants, 7 years 6.0 million per
Horton wants, 5 years, 6.0 million per (wants to be at warm south)
Filppula wants, 8 years, 5.5 million per
Bozak wants, 7 years, 5.0 million per

This freaking market is going to be insane. Players revenge from the lockout?

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Clarkson wants, 7 years 6.0 million per
Horton wants, 5 years, 6.0 million per (wants to be at warm south)
Filppula wants, 8 years, 5.5 million per
Bozak wants, 7 years, 5.0 per

This freaking market is going to be insane.

I'm more frustrated with the fact that he most likely won't get rid of Samuelsson, Cleary or Bertuzzi. No reason to dump them now.

Austin Wings Fan

Mar 9, 2010
I asked St. James via twitter if the Wings' indecision on the Samuelsson buyout was related to his health or the forward glut. No response from Helene yet, but I can't imagine a scenario where keeping Samuelsson is a good idea.

At this point, if the Wings re-sign Brunner and let Cleary and Fil walk, I won't be beyond furious, unless one of the FA targets signs for something very reasonable.

I'm ok with not chasing Clarkson at those prices, and 5 years was too long on Lecavalier, although it was fun to think about.

However, I can't justify bringing Cleary and Samuelsson back next year. If they let Brunner walk and bring back Cleary + keep Sammy, I will lose it.

we like our team*

i smiled a big stupid smile when i saw the thread title

RedWingsNow*

Helen St. James is pathetic.
url

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Keep everybody? Sign Brunner.

Mule - Z - Brunner
Bert - D - Nyquist
Akader - Helm - Sammy
Miller - Andersson - Tatar
(Eaves - Emmerton - Tootoo)

Kronwall - Ericsson
Quincey - Kindl
DeKeyser - Smith
(Lashoff)
(Colaiacovo?)

Howard
Gustavsson

This is pretty funny, but we have the guys already. Just let Flip and Cleary walk.

RedWingsNow*

She's paid to report. Ask some questions. Get answers.
Not give us Holland's PR
define-journalism.jpg

we like our team*

i think that quote applies more to real journalism than sports journalism

RedWingsNow*

Why couldn't we offer 3 years, $6M a year?
Buy out Sammy. Dump some crap.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
You seriously have to wonder if Illitch is going all in on the Tigers and is telling Holland to keep the wings payroll as low as possible (but still good enough to make the playoffs to generate them big dollars)

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Helene St. James ‏@HeleneStJames 7m

#RedWings would have given Vincent Lecavalier $4.5 million per, but for two years, not five. Too much term for 34 YO with slow pace.

Two years. That was the problem and that was their plan. Bring the kids in after those years and the term didn't fit.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Keep everybody? Sign Brunner.

Mule - Z - Brunner
Bert - D - Nyquist
Akader - Helm - Sammy
Miller - Andersson - Tatar
(Eaves - Emmerton - Tootoo)

Kronwall - Ericsson
Quincey - Kindl
DeKeyser - Smith
(Lashoff)
(Colaiacovo?)

Howard
Gustavsson

This is pretty funny, but we have the guys already. Just let Flip and Cleary walk.

Yeah that's a real Stanley Cup winning team, Not.

Jussha

Jan 15, 2006

Good game.

this makes me really sad. I'm ok with us not pursuing Vinny if it meant "lets give the kids a real shot" and see what we got, versus lets keep these old vets around and not give the kids a shot.

I honestly don't get it. If we sign Weiss to a 5 yr 25 million deal too, I don't get it. Like Babcock loves size, does Holland think that Babs rather have Weiss than Vinny? I mean maybe he does, but I find it hard to believe that if Kenny said to Babs I can get you either Weiss or Vinny, that Babs is choosing Weiss

is it too late for the compliance buyouts? does that mean for sure Sammy still on the roster next season?

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Wow. I can't believe they don't do anything.... i guess the upside is they plan on bringing up Jurco, Sheahan and Ferarro next year (and probably parts of this year)...... I don't know though

By next year, you mean 2014-2015, right?

Prices likely too high; Wings may well decide to go with what they've got

This is the same song and dance we've heard and are going to continue hearing. Yay.

This is as predictable as James Cameron's Avatar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad