Post-Game Talk: Pricer stymies Laffs in shootout, 6-5!

Status
Not open for further replies.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
That game was exciting to say the least for both fan bases,perhaps worrisome for Leafs fans considering blowing a lead like that.

Was surprised Marner couldn't catch AL on that first goal,thought he flew,but AL can no doubt. Domi is fast as is Drouin and that speed will be beneficial in the Habs stratagy.

Fleury and Suzuki had rough games,but to be fair,when NS got stripped of the puck that led to a goal,could have been a penalty for slashing,has in the past.NS should observe the way JT plays as similar smarts,but JT,slow as molasses.

Some pretty good coaching in the 3rd changing things up to do that comeback,and 9 shots in OT! Tampa had 13 in the whole game the other night,WTF?

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Well the Montreal Canadiens is the only team which can allow the most shots per game (lot of them being breakaways) and have people saying they played well ;) Price is not having a good start but he's playing behind arguably one of the 5 worst defenses in the league. You could make a case for it being the worst and actually not look too ridiculous.

I thought 2 of the leafs goals were stoppable.

But, Price takes time to round into the Prician form. I think Kinkaid should get a game in Buffalo. Unless Clod decides to go all out first 10 games of the season.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
These are the guys he added via trade currently on Roster
Drouin, Tatar, Domi, Danault, Armia, Weal, Thompson, Suzuki, Weber, Petry, KulaK, Rielly, Folin

These are the guys still in NHL that he has traded away
Segachev, Patches, Galchenyuk, Subban, Beaulieu, Eller, Kassian. Include Shaw if you want he was an add by trade and a subtraction by trade.

Have to agree to disagree, I personally prefer the acquisition list. Exchanging it for the guys traded away right now would be far from lateral IMO.
C Domi and danault Thompson >>>> galchenyuk and Eller
W Drouin,Tatar,Armia,weal,suzuki >>>> patches and Kassian and shaw if you want
D Weber, Petry, KulaK, Rielly, Folin>> Sergechev,Subban, beaulieu
Almost all of his moves have been lateral trades. You can argue Domi is better than Chuck if you want but one is coming at the cost of the other and it was largely seen as a lateral trade. That's all this guy does. The one exception in recent history is the Max trade but there he's trading for futures.

Some times it works out - Domi - and sometimes not - Weber, Drouin... It would be like us dealing Petry for Gostisbehere now... lateral move. Doesn't mean we might not be able to come out ahead but he's only making lateral moves for the most part.

The man is not capable of ADDING star players. The end result is we build with retreads and bargains... that might help us a little but it's sure as hell not going to lead to a cup.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc McKenna

RandR

May 15, 2011
Overall a pretty encouraging start to the season. Carolina and the Leafs are both serious contenders to win their divisions and are off to good starts, grabbing 11 points out of 12 in their first 3 games. The Habs did well to get 3 points against them and they did it on the road.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Almost all of his moves have been lateral trades. You can argue Domi is better than Chuck if you want but one is coming at the cost of the other and it was largely seen as a lateral trade. That's all this guy does. The one exception in recent history is the Max trade but there he's trading for futures.

Some times it works out - Domi - and sometimes not - Weber, Drouin... It would be like us dealing Petry for Gostisbehere now... lateral move. Doesn't mean we might not be able to come out ahead but he's only making lateral moves for the most part.

The man is not capable of ADDING star players. The end result is we build with retreads and bargains... that might help us a little but it's sure as hell not going to lead to a cup.

By definition, unless you are trading futures most trades are going to look like lateral moves at the time. The other GM will not give you something for nothing. The only way to instantly get better is through the UFA market. Most high end UFAs won't sign here and that is the market (combination of media, taxes, language) MB or anyone else that is not going to change anytime soon.

So how can you get better drafting and trading. On the trade front you have to identify undervalued assets. Domi is a great example. You won't win every trade like that MB has been better than most in that regard. If you look at the totality of what he acquired via trade vs the totality of what he traded away you see it. In his one for one trades

Domi - Chucky win
Drouin-Sergachev jury's still out but I never liked the trade as he acquired a area of strength (LW) for area of weakness - defense
Weber- Subban he got the better player but sacrificed age. Starting to look like despite the age difference Weber may hold up longer. it's in my win column
Patches -tatar looking close even without the futures of Suzuki and the 2nd
Weise- Danault clear win plus there was a 2nd rounder too.
weal chaput again a win
Weise- diaz a win
Kassian - Prust was a gamble that did not work out. Didn't lose much in worn out Prust.

The thing he has not done is trade away a 1st round pick to get instantly better. Is that good or bad? Hard to acquire the star player via trade without doing it but lots of examples of teams to git it really wrong (ottawa for Matt D is probably the best example). If you know you are at risk of not making playoffs trading an unprotected 1st is a risk he does not seem willing to take.

He has added star players in Domi and Weber who came in and were stars in the first year. He traded away a star player in Subban, maybe a declining one in Patches and possibly a future one in Sergachev. He added potential future ones in Danault and Suzuki

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Their still things to improve for every team at this point of the season but their is a lot of positive from what i have seen. Drouin playing like a true top 6 players is huge for this team, lets hope he can be consistant this year, but his effort level is the best i have seeen since joining the Habs. It look like we’re gonna have a very entertaining season and for me that’s a very important part since we’re not really in a contending position at the very least lets play an entertaining brand of hockey.
I know I’ll get ripped for this, but Suzuki seems to be struggling. A few more games like the first 2, and I really think he needs time in Laval. I watched the first 2 Laval games, and honestly, Evans might be more ready at this point than Suzuki. Poehling needs time too. That was actually a good decision. He’s done nothing in Lavals first 2 games (although most of them haven’t)
Granted, it’s still early.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I know I’ll get ripped for this, but Suzuki seems to be struggling. A few more games like the first 2, and I really think he needs time in Laval. I watched the first 2 Laval games, and honestly, Evans might be more ready at this point than Suzuki. Poehling needs time too. That was actually a good decision. He’s done nothing in Lavals first 2 games (although most of them haven’t)
He's definitely struggling. Leafs are a really good team though, tough to ask him to go against the likes of Matthews and Tavares. Give him another game and see how he does.

I don't think too many people would be upset to see him go to Laval for seasoning.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Anyone get to see what Captain Kirk wrote on the whiteboard before the OT PP?

My guess :

“WEBER”

Reactions: THE HOFF

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Anyone get to see what Captain Kirk wrote on the whiteboard before the OT PP?

My guess :

“WEBER”
It doesn't matter what he writes or says... his PP doesn't work. He can write Weber, he can write Fluffy Unicorns... the outcome will always be the same. Good thing he got the extension though. THAT will fix the powerplay for sure.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

I would agree with all your points though do think the getting stripped of the puck and getting scored on wasn't all on Suzuki. He definitely should had been much quicker and more aware of his surroundings, but I believe Chiarot gave him the puck deep and Suzuki wasn't at full speed when he got it. I just thought the play was bad overall and I also think it was Domi who blew coverage for that specific goal. That said, I'm hoping Nick figures it out in the next few games. It's the NHL now and he can't play as slow as he can in juniors.

As for Poehling, and everyone else in Laval, Bouchard did come out and say it this weekend that half the team needs to get their heads on straight and play better. We'll see how everyone responds, but I am not concerned at all right now for Poehling.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
I would agree with all your points though do think the getting stripped of the puck and getting scored on wasn't all on Suzuki. He definitely should had been much quicker and more aware of his surroundings, but I believe Chiarot gave him the puck deep and Suzuki wasn't at full speed when he got it. I just thought the play was bad overall and I also think it was Domi who blew coverage for that specific goal. That said, I'm hoping Nick figures it out in the next few games. It's the NHL now and he can't play as slow as he can in juniors.

As for Poehling, and everyone else in Laval, Bouchard did come out and say it this weekend that half the team needs to get their heads on straight and play better. We'll see how everyone responds, but I am not concerned at all right now for Poehling.

I imagine no one will be rewarded with going to the big club if they are part of the group that Bouchard mentioned

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
He's definitely struggling. Leafs are a really good team though, tough to ask him to go against the likes of Matthews and Tavares. Give him another game and see how he does.

I don't think too many people would be upset to see him go to Laval for seasoning.

The east is really strong this year. It's going to be very good team pretty much every night outside of Ottawa. Even Detroit doesn't look as bad as last year if their kids keep the pace.

Last edited:

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Damn... that's too long between games. Not even Mechant Mardi this week.

My reaction to the NHL game scheduler :

iba1B97.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: Mrb1p and Geecko

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site

I’m not totally blaming Suzuki for that play, I’m sure he won’t make that mistake again. As for Laval, they have not been good. I really don’t get it. The vets that they have, they should be cruising. I thought that Varone guy was a leading scorer in the AHL? He’s done nothing. Evans and Belzile, maybe Hudon are the only guys going.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
i feel a lil bad for suzuki and to a certain extent fleury but lets not lose sight of the fact that that was two VERY HOSTILE enemy crowds to start off your nhl career lol
he just needs a home game imo

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
i feel a lil bad for suzuki and to a certain extent fleury but lets not lose sight of the fact that that was two VERY HOSTILE enemy crowds to start off your nhl career lol

Speaking of crowds taht can be hostile... Hopefully they got the jitters out and will be more steady. if not, well... it's a process.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Then they'll truly get a hostile crowd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad