Post-Game Talk: Pricer stymies Laffs in shootout, 6-5!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Lehk's pass on that play was excellent as well try fitting that backhand in at full speed, Definitely not the play of an offensive black hole,

Nice play by Lehkonen for sure.

It’s just that the way Domi went for it was so fluid that I thought it deserved to be underscored.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
He’s a Hab fan for sure!!.....if there was something that was ever a sure bet, it was that Tie Domi would never be a Hab Fan.....this is Twilight Zone material lol

Hoping that extension gets done soon. We have enough evidence, this guy should be a Hab for a long time.

Reactions: Habs Icing

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
He’s a Hab fan for sure!!.....if there was something that was ever a sure bet, it was that Tie Domi would never be a Hab Fan.....this is Twilight Zone material lol

giphy.gif

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
There's something wonderfully efficient about the way Domi scored his goal against the Leafs.

I've watched this several times and the way he comes out from the bench and streaks like a bullet to the opposing net, it's a piece of art. It's as if he had already read the play just before hitting the ice and had enough foresight to see it materialize itself. It barely took a few seconds.

Here is the sequence in real time. No motion is wasted, everything seems to fall right into place. A thing of beauty.

Just wow.

Z4yUEoq.gif
Domi's something special. Aside from the raw talent, he's a very smart hockey player who, as you noticed, sees the whole ice. That vision and understanding of the play is what made him a terrific C last season. And the other thing is he's driven. We make fun of Toronto for being soft -- Domi's the opposite. He's the kind of guy who steps up when the pressure's on. I'm a fan.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
The argument I would make is that at this moment, he is more valuable in the line-up than as a trade chip.

And if he were 22, I would be absolutely intransigent against trading Petry, unless we had more Petrys than we knew what to do with (which isn't the case right now). But as it stands, he'll be 32 in December, and next year is a contract year, which changes things. Do we re-sign him, in which case we'll essentially be signing up to watch his sunset years as his trade value dwindles into nothing. Or do we trade him. What is likely to be more valuable in 4 years: Petry, or his return?

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I clicked the link, saw Jack Todd’s name and quickly exited.

Jack Todd is the Michel Therrien of journalism. Absolute trash.

Appreciate the link posting from you but he really is terrible.
Todd's a good writer, but he's way too sulky and hypersensitive to be a credible journalist. He's not driven by facts; it's all about his feelings.

Reactions: Strat

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Petry still has a lot left in the tank. He's our best D. I'd work on resigning him and moving Weber for picks and prospects before he can't skate anymore in the next couple years.

We don't have to trade all of Weber, Petry, Price, etc. But we should get value for some. At varying times I have called for us to trade any of these guys. I think Petry is the most moveable and will give us the highest return.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
i hope max knows karma is a bad thing, he is making fun in a bad way of players.

It's character but class always beats everything. Kasperi himself said it was dumb and that he didnt know the rule why be a jerk about it

At minimum, he must've known it was a penalty. I can understand not knowing it was a penalty shot, but they were already shorthanded. You don't throw broken sticks at people. Pretty standard stuff in hockey

Also, Kapanen trolled Domi when the Leafs made their comeback at the end of last year, which is why Domi was enjoying it so much with this particular player. There's history there.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
And if he were 22, I would be absolutely intransigent against trading Petry, unless we had more Petrys than we knew what to do with (which isn't the case right now). But as it stands, he'll be 32 in December, and next year is a contract year, which changes things. Do we re-sign him, in which case we'll essentially be signing up to watch his sunset years as his trade value dwindles into nothing. Or do we trade him. What is likely to be more valuable in 4 years: Petry, or his return?
Agree 100%, and I say this as a huge Petry fan. I'd love to find a practical reason to re-sign him, but since Bergevin can't fortify today's team, the smart move is to build tomorrow's team. Because that team in the near future won't have a prime Weber (this season's team may not, either) or possibly Price, and will need some elite players. Where will they come from if not from top draft picks?

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Leaf nation took this one hard, being up 4-1 and eventually losing against other teams is not quite the same as having it happen against the Montreal Canadiens and of all times on Hockey Night in Canada! 33 million dollars worth of contracts unable to score in a shoot-out, imagine if that was us? We would lose our minds lol, most of us were losing our **** at 4-1 and then it happened, we actually came back and won, it didn't matter that our defense was horrible and that we gave up what seemed like 10 odd-man rushes/breakaways, nope, none of it mattered because we won. Winning cures all, the glory and despair of pro sports and the constant flip flopping that is being a sports fan.

Some are actually loosing there minds even if we won the game.. So can’t imagine if we loss

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
They were soft near their own net. Habs scored most of their goals from close in because the Leafs D couldn't contain them. And that's against the Habs -- imagine the Leafs against some of the bigger, more skilled teams. Toronto may have gained some skill in the back end, but they lost physicality.

That’s why a player like Chiarot is important to have

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

32 isn't old for D-men. Many can go to 36 easy as long as injuries don't pile up or their skating disintegrates. Petry is a fantastic skater and is rarely injured.

A 3-4 year contract is fine, although I'd prefer 3. Problem is Petry AND Weber blocks Brook, especially with Fleury on the bottom pairing, and nevermind Juulsen - if he can stay healthy.

It's also possible Weber retires after another 2 years. He'll be 37 and making $3m. The following year he makes $1m. Is he really going to play at that money?

Habs have to prepare for Weber potentially not completing his contract. We'll see how Brook does in the AHL this year.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
It's time for the T-T-T-T-Tough Minutes REEEEEEEEport

Phillip Danault played 6:13 against Alexander Kerfoot, 64% CF with, 70% CF without, 1 DZS, 1 OZS, 1 GF 1 GA

Jesperi Kotkaniemi played 5:27 against John Tavares, 31% CF with, 54% CF without, 0 DZS, 1 OZS, 0 GF 0 GA

Max Domi played 5:51 against Auston Matthews, 75% CF with, 55% CF without, 3 DZS, 1 OZS, 1 GF 0 GA

Nate Thompson played 4:28 against Auston Matthews, 40% CF with, 57% CF without, 0 DZS, 0 OZS, 0 GF 2 GA

Reactions: Lshap

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
I clicked the link, saw Jack Todd’s name and quickly exited.

Jack Todd is the Michel Therrien of journalism. Absolute trash.

Appreciate the link posting from you but he really is terrible.
Ok but the point is Hockey Night in Canada being like Hockey Night in Toronto which for me in Nova Scotia agrees. The whole Toronto stuff is unbearable.

Anyhow I'm rooting for the Habs to finish ahead of the Leafs. :yo:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Ok but the point is Hockey Night in Canada being like Hockey Night in Toronto which for me in Nova Scotia agrees. The whole Toronto stuff is unbearable.

Anyhow I'm rooting for the Habs to finish ahead of the Leafs. :yo:
I don't disagree that there's more coverage but that's different than the announcers being biased. Those are two different things.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Todd's a good writer, but he's way too sulky and hypersensitive to be a credible journalist. He's not driven by facts; it's all about his feelings.
I disagree. He's a terrible writer. Bottom of the barrel as far as I'm concerned.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
32 isn't old for D-men. Many can go to 36 easy as long as injuries don't pile up or their skating disintegrates. Petry is a fantastic skater and is rarely injured.

A 3-4 year contract is fine, although I'd prefer 3. Problem is Petry AND Weber blocks Brook, especially with Fleury on the bottom pairing, and nevermind Juulsen - if he can stay healthy.

It's also possible Weber retires after another 2 years. He'll be 37 and making $3m. The following year he makes $1m. Is he really going to play at that money?

Habs have to prepare for Weber potentially not completing his contract. We'll see how Brook does in the AHL this year.

Petry would not prefer 3. His value is the highest it has ever been and ever will be, and this may be his last contract. Do we give it to him, or do we sell high is the question.

The thing about injuries is that they're unpredictable. Some people are frail and injure easily, but that didn't describe Weber and then, all of the sudden, at age 33, he needed two surgeries. To not account for their possibility is just being foolish. Age is age. The number of good years Petry has left can almost certainly be counted on one hand. My question has always been ''what are we doing with those years''? What's the point? Because at the end of those years, we get nothing.

Reactions: montreal

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Agree 100%, and I say this as a huge Petry fan. I'd love to find a practical reason to re-sign him, but since Bergevin can't fortify today's team, the smart move is to build tomorrow's team. Because that team in the near future won't have a prime Weber (this season's team may not, either) or possibly Price, and will need some elite players. Where will they come from if not from top draft picks?
Bottom line is that we need a new GM.

The idea that we have to build from the draft alone is ridiculous, and I say this as somebody who believes strongly in building your team through the draft. The fact that our GM is unable to actually ADD to the team is insane. We're the only team in the league that can't do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad