Post-Game Talk: Pricer stymies Laffs in shootout, 6-5!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Bottom line is that we need a new GM.

The idea that we have to build from the draft alone is ridiculous, and I say this as somebody who believes strongly in building your team through the draft. The fact that our GM is unable to actually ADD to the team is insane. We're the only team in the league that can't do this.
I don't get it either. But while he's here, the one thing he can probably accomplish is stockpiling picks. So why not acquire a 1st-round pick for once? I know the downside -- without Petry our D becomes a train-wreck -- but trading him may create the perfect storm of a lower finish, a better pick, a second top pick, and maybe something we haven't had in years: a superstar wearing a Habs jersey in two/three years.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I disagree. He's a terrible writer. Bottom of the barrel as far as I'm concerned.
I remember Todd from the late 80s. Before he got his sports column, he was a beat writer covering people and events around Montreal. Still found him whiny, but every now and then his melodramatic style found a match with an emotionally-loaded local topic and he came out with a powerful article.

I'll maintain he has a skillset, but not for his current gig as a sports writer. He just can't keep it in his pants. If he was an HF poster, you and I would be infracting him every week.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I remember Todd from the late 80s. Before he got his sports column, he was a beat writer covering people and events around Montreal. Still found him whiny, but every now and then his melodramatic style found a match with an emotionally-loaded local topic and he came out with a powerful article.

I'll maintain he has a skillset, but not for his current gig as a sports writer. He just can't keep it in his pants. If he was an HF poster, you and I would be infracting him every week.
:laugh:

I'll just say I'm not a fan and leave it at that.

Reactions: MXD

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I don't get it either. But while he's here, the one thing he can probably accomplish is stockpiling picks. So why not acquire a 1st-round pick for once? I know the downside -- without Petry our D becomes a train-wreck -- but trading him may create the perfect storm of a lower finish, a better pick, a second top pick, and maybe something we haven't had in years: a superstar wearing a Habs jersey in two/three years.
I'm all for picking a direction. I'd prefer we add to what we have but if it's the other way, so be it. But you can't trade Petry without dealing Price. It makes absolutely no sense to trade away a guy who's going to drive down Price's value as badly as his leaving would.

If you trade Petry, you're committing to a full rebuild. It won't work to deal him and think we can just retool. We can't. We've got depth up front but zero on the backend. Without Petry we're in serious trouble.

Reactions: Walrus26

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I didn't see the whole game as I don't have much interest in this season good or bad since I just don't see this team being a top 3 team in our division so it's either wild card or no playoffs again. I can't stand Molson but I actually agree with their plan and have been saying we could be looking at a long time frame before we are contenders and that's if we hit on the high end of several of our prospects which is a very big if since you just never know how they are going to progress. But I'm 100% focused on the future as that's the big picture imo, not hoping for a wild card.

As for trading Petry, I would have traded him last year, unless you enjoyed watching the team miss the playoffs again, I would rather sell at peak value. I would rather keep Weber around to mentor the Brook, Fleury's, etc... plus his cap hit at almost 8M is going to be a problem for many teams, with Petry we could retain to get a higher return since we have the cap space last year and this year.

You don't replace Petry with Brook or Fleury, you replace him with marginal vets until the Brook, Fleury, Juulsen, Romanov's etc.. are ready to move up. So it's about taking the hit in the short term for hopeful long term success vs hoping for a wild card and drafting in the 15-18 range like we have been doing for so many years and continuing to miss out on that high end talent.

People will say how bad we would have been last year without Petry but how would you feel about having Byram instead of Caufield? That doesn't mean the plan would work out as no plan is 100% but just look at the additions the team has had in the past year and what Molson has said, it's clear the direction they are taking us.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I'm all for picking a direction. I'd prefer we add to what we have but if it's the other way, so be it. But you can't trade Petry without dealing Price. It makes absolutely no sense to trade away a guy who's going to drive down Price's value as badly as his leaving would.

If you trade Petry, you're committing to a full rebuild. It won't work to deal him and think we can just retool. We can't. We've got depth up front but zero on the backend. Without Petry we're in serious trouble.
Yeah, that makes sense. What a shame if the Carey Price era ends with a whimper. But as you said... if we're out of options, then so be it.

The only wildcard is if Bergevin stumbles on an opportunity and pulls the trigger. Don't know what, when or who, but nothing ever turns out the way we expect.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Carey Price is the only elite goaltender in the world who can get lit up for 8 goals in 2 games and have people saying ''HE'S BACK!''

Is he? You sure?

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
At minimum, he must've known it was a penalty. I can understand not knowing it was a penalty shot, but they were already shorthanded. You don't throw broken sticks at people. Pretty standard stuff in hockey

Also, Kapanen trolled Domi when the Leafs made their comeback at the end of last year, which is why Domi was enjoying it so much with this particular player. There's history there.

That's right. Kapanen started the whole thing last year with the kiss-blowing and the violin-playing crap he pulled off after their comeback win. Good to see dumb-faced "I can't hear you" Tavares get rocked by Weber as well.

Hockey Karma IS a thing. And it hit the Leafs and Kapanen in spades on Saturday. You love to see it.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Yeah, that makes sense. What a shame if the Carey Price era ends with a whimper. But as you said... if we're out of options, then so be it.

The only wildcard is if Bergevin stumbles on an opportunity and pulls the trigger. Don't know what, when or who, but nothing ever turns out the way we expect.
I personally don't think we're out of options. I think we have a bad GM. We also have the option of replacing him. The idea that we HAVE to deal away Petry because our GM can't do anything else is an indictment of how bad he's been.

Personally, I'd add to what we have. We've got good forwards and great netminding. With a good D we might be able to do something. If we want to go the other way, I don't think that's necessarily wrong either though.

What's not cool is getting Chariot over the summer and calling it a day.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Bottom line is that we need a new GM.

The idea that we have to build from the draft alone is ridiculous, and I say this as somebody who believes strongly in building your team through the draft. The fact that our GM is unable to actually ADD to the team is insane. We're the only team in the league that can't do this.

Who said we or Bergevin builds from the draft alone?

Current 23 man Roster

Drafted 6 guys : Gallagher,lehkonen, Kotkaniemi, fleury, Mete, Price
Via trade 13 guys: Drouin,Tatar,Domi, Danault, Armia, Weal,Thompson,Suzuki, weber, Petry, KulaK, Rielly, Folin
UFA 3 guys: Kinkaid, Cousins, Chiarot
Waivers; Byron

Yeah would it be nice if we could attract more UFAs big name guys? Yes but do you think a new GM sudden makes us the go to UFA destination.

I think over the last few years they have drafted well some interesting pieces in pipeline led by Caufield and Poehling.

So UFA not much he can do, draft looks good so how bad has his trading been?

These are players still in league that he has traded away compare them top the 13 above in lineup Segachev, Patches ,galchenyuk, Subban, Beaulieu, Eller, Kassian. Shaw is a in and out.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I didn't see the whole game as I don't have much interest in this season good or bad since I just don't see this team being a top 3 team in our division so it's either wild card or no playoffs again. I can't stand Molson but I actually agree with their plan and have been saying we could be looking at a long time frame before we are contenders and that's if we hit on the high end of several of our prospects which is a very big if since you just never know how they are going to progress. But I'm 100% focused on the future as that's the big picture imo, not hoping for a wild card.

As for trading Petry, I would have traded him last year, unless you enjoyed watching the team miss the playoffs again, I would rather sell at peak value. I would rather keep Weber around to mentor the Brook, Fleury's, etc... plus his cap hit at almost 8M is going to be a problem for many teams, with Petry we could retain to get a higher return since we have the cap space last year and this year.

You don't replace Petry with Brook or Fleury, you replace him with marginal vets until the Brook, Fleury, Juulsen, Romanov's etc.. are ready to move up. So it's about taking the hit in the short term for hopeful long term success vs hoping for a wild card and drafting in the 15-18 range like we have been doing for so many years and continuing to miss out on that high end talent.

People will say how bad we would have been last year without Petry but how would you feel about having Byram instead of Caufield? That doesn't mean the plan would work out as no plan is 100% but just look at the additions the team has had in the past year and what Molson has said, it's clear the direction they are taking us.
This is the hockey version of the low-carb/no junk-food diet that everyone hates. It's no fun and it takes time to see results. But at this point, we might have to accept this kind of short-term pain if we ever want this team to become a contender.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Who said we or Bergevin builds from the draft alone?
Follow the conversation here and then come back and comment.

The context of LShap's post was that MB can't seem to make trades so the only way to improve to for him to trade for picks.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
This is the hockey version of the low-carb/no junk-food diet that everyone hates. It's no fun and it takes time to see results. But at this point, we might have to accept this kind of short-term pain if we ever want this team to become a contender.
Just know that if you deal Petry, it's a rebuild. If that's the way we choose, that's fine. But it makes no sense to just deal Petry and keep Price. If you deal him, it's a full on rebuild and we should trade Price as well.

This would of course also lead to a tank resulting in higher picks for the next couple of years.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
There were four breakaways in the first period alone. There was probably about ten over the course of the game including three in OT.

I'm skeptical of those stats. It's a lot easier to score from the point if the goalie's being screened. Does it factor in cross-ice passes where the goalie has to go cross crease? I don't see how any goalie would've given up less than four goals based on what we saw last night.

I get that they're number crunching here. Looking at total shots and where they come from... but how do you factor in screens etc? Our D was brutal last night. It could've easily got out of hand with a lesser goalie in net.
Gotta close off our highways... From the get go... Nonstop too much traffic and circulation... Fatal accidents as we know with us gonna emerge of it.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Gotta close off our highways... From the get go... Nonstop too much traffic and circulation... Fatal accidents as we know with us gonna emerge of it.
As usual, we aren't good enough to win and not bad enough to get high picks. Our D was and is swiss cheese.

I actually think we've got the scoring now. No, we don't have the superstar we want but we've got so many guys up front who can score it's better than it's been in a long time. Our problem is the backend. Until we fix that, we're going nowhere. Our PP will continue to suck and we're going to be giving up stupid scoring chances that should never happen.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Follow the conversation here and then come back and comment.

The context of LShap's post was that MB can't seem to make trades so the only way to improve to for him to trade for picks.

I was responding to your post where you said "The fact that our GM is unable to actually ADD to the team is insane. We're the only team in the league that can't do this."

He has added quite a bit to the team, yeah adding UFAs has been problematic but do you think anyone else can make this market more attractive to UFAs? Guys like Domi may well end up being our best salesmen. You can't force UFA's to sign somewhere. adding via trade you have to give something up. On trade front he has won more than he lost.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I was responding to your post where you said "The fact that our GM is unable to actually ADD to the team is insane. We're the only team in the league that can't do this."

He has added quite a bit to the team, yeah adding UFAs has been problematic but do you think anyone else can make this market more attractive to UFAs? Guys like Domi may well end up being our best salesmen. You can't force UFA's to sign somewhere. adding via trade you have to give something up. On trade front he has won more than he lost.
He has made lateral moves throughout his career. He hasn't made very many long term ADDs. Petry and Bryon are two but both were minor guys who turned out to be better than expected. Bargainbin acquisitions!

Zero long term star UFAs. The closest he's come to actually adding star players was Radulov and Vanek, neither of whom stayed very long.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Carey Price is the only elite goaltender in the world who can get lit up for 8 goals in 2 games and have people saying ''HE'S BACK!''

Is he? You sure?

Well the Montreal Canadiens is the only team which can allow the most shots per game (lot of them being breakaways) and have people saying they played well ;) Price is not having a good start but he's playing behind arguably one of the 5 worst defenses in the league. You could make a case for it being the worst and actually not look too ridiculous.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
As usual, we aren't good enough to win and not bad enough to get high picks. Our D was and is swiss cheese.

I actually think we've got the scoring now. No, we don't have the superstar we want but we've got so many guys up front who can score it's better than it's been in a long time. Our problem is the backend. Until we fix that, we're going nowhere. Our PP will continue to suck and we're going to be giving up stupid scoring chances that should never happen.

It's true, we bled goals against playoff teams last year, almost 3 goals against per game on average. We were still a big minus when you look only at even strength, too, contrary to the popular narrative. Looking in more detail at the data says we got slaughtered against a handful of teams at even strength, played most of them pretty tough, and punched VGK and the jets in the dick. This is just not a team that can go toe-to-toe in a 7 game series against a good team.

Help

Can I help you?
Apr 8, 2011
HELP HELP HELP
Liking the high event hockey so far. Think it bodes well for any team with a good goaltender and good forward depth

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
He has made lateral moves throughout his career. He hasn't made very many long term ADDs. Petry and Bryon are two but both were minor guys who turned out to be better than expected. Bargainbin acquisitions!

Zero long term star UFAs. The closest he's come to actually adding star players was Radulov and Vanek, neither of whom stayed very long.

These are the guys he added via trade currently on Roster
Drouin, Tatar, Domi, Danault, Armia, Weal, Thompson, Suzuki, Weber, Petry, KulaK, Rielly, Folin

These are the guys still in NHL that he has traded away
Segachev, Patches, Galchenyuk, Subban, Beaulieu, Eller, Kassian. Include Shaw if you want he was an add by trade and a subtraction by trade.

Have to agree to disagree, I personally prefer the acquisition list. Exchanging it for the guys traded away right now would be far from lateral IMO.
C Domi and danault Thompson >>>> galchenyuk and Eller
W Drouin,Tatar,Armia,weal,suzuki >>>> patches and Kassian and shaw if you want
D Weber, Petry, KulaK, Rielly, Folin>> Sergechev,Subban, beaulieu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad