Value of: Price to Winnipeg/Calgary at the deadline/offseason this year or next

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Calgary wouldn't be in on a Price sweepstakes unless Montreal eats half and Montreal won't do that.

Unless Price can play RW and score 50 he's not a need right now.

Brownbeard

Oct 6, 2017
Yeah, this isn't going to happen -- him being traded anywhere -- unless he really underperforms and the French province runs him out of town with pitchforks.

Habs fans pray at the altar of Carey Price, and he can generally do no wrong there, and is looked at as the savior.

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
i was saying that if bishop went to Winnipeg they would be instant cup contenders the past year. gauging value is difficult for goalies.

if I'm Montreal I don't accept anything less than Connor, Stanley, 1st. it's a heavy all in by winnipeg that does not affect their right now roster, but the price is heavy.

Brownbeard

Oct 6, 2017
Winnipeg isn't strong enough defensively, or generally talented enough to be Cup contenders. They have some promising pieces, but not enough.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Winnipeg isn't strong enough defensively, or generally talented enough to be Cup contenders. They have some promising pieces, but not enough.

5ed8203b5d448035b98e7972a9ab35086ace35ff5c3cd170b4395242b20162ae.jpg

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
Price is signed to 8 years and he is 30. Paying a goalie over 10 million is a recipe for disaster. He hasn't been durable recently and doesn't step up in the playoffs. Even if you ignore ALL of that which make trading for him a terrible idea, there's still the fact that statistically he's having an awful season.

Rich Jagr

Nov 19, 2011
Retaining must be out of question, since it would have an impact for eight years. That makes cap dumps necessary parts of the deal, regardless of who would be acquiring Price.

To be honest - Price is not moving. He did not sign that contract by accident, and neither did the Canadiens. His NTC is already quite limiting, and when the full NMC kicks in next summer, that's when moving him becomes impossible. He ticks so many boxes in terms of what teams would not be looking for in an asset - age, woeful amount of term, sky high cap hit, even higher salary, crazily high cost of acquisition (we'll get back to this soon) and a concerning injury history (for a goalie, that is). That comes with half-decent goaltending, but if, for some reason, you don't get that from him, then what?

If, however, Montreal decided to cut the cord and explore every possibility of getting rid of the guy, there's a big obstacle right after the beginning: how high a price do you set for Price? If you value him based on how important the guy is for Montreal, you're getting thirty nos as answers and will be left empty-handed. I have a hard time seeing Bergevin not doing that: he knows how important Price is to his team (which is shown by the massive deal he gave to Carey), and honestly, who would not? Instead, Bergevin needs to lower his expectations by a mile. Given the right circumstances (=flexibility in asking price), Price is able to fetch good assets. Those assets just won't be what every Habs fan would want: no young stars would be made available for him, and neither would current superstars. How about blue chip prospects? Sure thing. First rounders? Yes. That might be aiming low for someone who has recently won the Hart and is renowned for being the best one at his job, but if aiming higher results in a guaranteed miss, why bother?

I'm trying to keep with the thread Winnipeg and Calgary are the teams we are discussing as per the OP, NTC NMC etc... are waived quite frequently if its in the players best interest and sometimes I believe they are asked by the teams they currenty have the clause with to waive as well?

Last edited:

Brownbeard

Oct 6, 2017
Lmaoo please remind me of how good the Leafs d is again. #1 pairing Ron Hainesy. Yikes!

Did you see me -- anywhere in my comment -- state that the Leafs had great defense? Or that the Leafs were much better defensively than the Jets? The Leafs' defense has been crap this year, and I've mentioned that several times. Three or four just tonight, on the Leafs and general discussion boards.

Don't make things up when it hasn't been said just to fit an agenda.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Really? 7m > 10.5

$7M is still a "good chunk" of the cap, which is what your argument was....

and how does $3.5M make THAT much of a difference, especially with the cap is going up? The Habs problem isnt the league's best goalie making $10.5M right now.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
$7M is still a "good chunk" of the cap, which is what your argument was....

and how does $3.5M make THAT much of a difference, especially with the cap is going up?

Are you kidding me? Price will be making 3.5m more than Rinne, which is 50% more than Rinne's contract as is. That's 3.5m you can put on something else.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
There needs to be retention to make this worth discussing, otherwise, I don’t see how the Jets can reasonably take on that contract without messing up the team in the medium to long term.

Rich Jagr

Nov 19, 2011
I mean I get that it is fun to speculate on trades regardless of any realm in reality, but these kind of trade offers are still silly. Price just signed a mega 8 year deal, with the only team he has ever played for, so there is less than 0% chance that either side wants to make a move. Kind of the same thing as people making Connor McDavid offers, as you know he is going absolutely nowhere. I know even Gretzky got traded, but that was in a non cap world, and less teams. Now teams need to keep their franchise talent intact, because there are so very few years that have dynamite top end talent. Back in the day free agency hit, and there would upwards of 5-10 or so key players. Now we are lucky if we get 1 every year.

Realm in reality, Silly, 0% I beg to Differ by Xmas it will be clear that it is better for both parties, But I guess time will tell.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Are you kidding me? Price will be making 3.5m more than Rinne, which is 50% more than Rinne's contract as is. That's 3.5m you can put on something else.

$3.5M doesnt exactly make or break a team when the cap is $80M+..... Thats going to be the cost of a 3rd liner at best.

You really think the Habs were better off losing the best goalie int he world to get an extra 3rd liner? really?

Maybe at the tail end of the contract it will hurt more assuming he regresses quite a bit in 8 years, but by then $10.5M wont be as hefty.

david999

Jan 21, 2011
I thought the price was set as Laine +1st in the other thread from Winnipeg

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
$3.5M doesnt exactly make or break a team when the cap is $80M+..... Thats going to be the cost of a 3rd liner at best.

You really think the Habs were better off losing the best goalie int he world to get an extra 3rd liner? really?

Maybe at the tail end of the contract it will hurt more assuming he regresses quite a bit in 8 years, but by then $10.5M wont be as hefty.

What if you need 3.5m more to re-sign Drouin? What if you need space for a TDL deal in case you really are contending? It’s not impossible, but it’s a lot more difficult to ice a SC team with a lot of money tied up on one player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad