Value of: Price to Winnipeg/Calgary at the deadline/offseason this year or next

Rich Jagr

Nov 19, 2011
Was just wondering what pieces either team could offer to aquire Carey from Montreal?

I feel Montreal will be forced to burn it down as early as the Christmas break , fully expect a GM change at that time. I mention these two teams as they have the prospect pool/ young roster players .. Also taking into consideration the teams window to be contenders as well as reasoning for Price to accept such a move.

Montreal will have one of thier worst seasons in history... I cant think of any realistic scenario where they can bring in 1-2 Quality Centerman which can salvage a playoff berth.

Im not a Habs Hater , Just trying to identify a path that can keep this team out of the basement for the next half decade.

Danault
Drouin
Mete
Lindgren

Would be the only players I wish not to be included in any proposal.

Reactions: Devonator

Shad

Mar 5, 2011
4 games into the season
-1 years into Price's extension

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 99664987

Rich Jagr

Nov 19, 2011
Salty, No top 6 Centers... no faceoff abilties throughout the lineup, no puckmoving D... the writing is on the wall. Its not going to be fixed by Magic, No Prospects Aging Defence, Just common sense Shad.

they are the two teams that are out West that have the pieces as well as being contenders in the next couple of seasons. Thats just the reality of the situation.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Similar to with Subban, the Canadiens would have a deadline of July 1st to trade Price. His extensions kicks in then and it has a full NMC. Currently, he only has a modified NTC that allows him to name 15 teams he'd go to.

It's actually kind of an interesting situation. Do I think Price is gonna get traded? Nope. But if Bergevin is ousted by Christmas and Patrick Roy comes in to assume his role as the GM/Coach/frontman of Montreal (okay, maybe not Roy but that's not central to the point), does the new GM consider possibly trading Price rather than marrying the team to an 8 year extension?

Even if the Canadiens have to retain say 1M for 8 years to make the contract a bit more marketable....look at the Leafs rebuild and how successful it is looking right now. Even if it isn't as simple as blow it up, finish low, draft Nylander/Marner/Matthews, repeat, this is a copy cat league and MTL are one of the only other teams with pockets as deep as TOR who can do a rebuild like that. MTL's new GM could get a huge haul from a team for Price locked down for 8 years...

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
Was just wondering what pieces either team could offer to aquire Carey from Montreal?

I feel Montreal will be forced to burn it down as early as the Christmas break , fully expect a GM change at that time. I mention these two teams as they have the prospect pool/ young roster players .. Also taking into consideration the teams window to be contenders as well as reasoning for Price to accept such a move.

Montreal will have one of thier worst seasons in history... I cant think of any realistic scenario where they can bring in 1-2 Quality Centerman which can salvage a playoff berth.

Im not a Habs Hater , Just trying to identify a path that can keep this team out of the basement for the next half decade.

Danault
Drouin
Mete
Lindgren

Would be the only players I wish not to be included in any proposal.

The only pieces the Habs should be interested in are 1st & 2nd rounders or 18-20 y.o blue chips that they value highly. Everthing else coming back would be just salary dump to balance things out. Don't expect any young superstar offers even for Price.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
What is it with Price to Winnipeg? He has that team on his NTC, and we dont want his contract, it will ruin the whole capstructure of the team, do you think we could sign Ehlers to 6 mil if we have Price at 10??? nope!

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
If the day come where the Habs move Price most fans will be very upset with the return he brings.

I don't think I would because I'm pretty sure he would fetch 2 1st rounder especially if I'm accepting deadwood to come the other way. I know full well , we won't get a young 20 y.o superstar for Price.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Goalies just don't impact the game enough. Paying 10.5mil a year in order to improve none of your on-ice play and merely your goals allowed, and that in not even every game of the season(even healthy), just isn't worth it for the kind of return Habs would be looking for.

If they want to get rid of Price and his contract, they are going to have to retain a large portion of it.

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
Goalies just don't impact the game enough. Paying 10.5mil a year in order to improve none of your on-ice play and merely your goals allowed, and that in not even every game of the season(even healthy), just isn't worth it for the kind of return Habs would be looking for.

If they want to get rid of Price and his contract, they are going to have to retain a large portion of it.

I don't think they need to retain. Just be willing to accept 1 or 2 bad contracts back.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Price's contract simply doesn't work with Calgary's cap structure, Not unless the Habs retain significant salary (i.e, at least 3M) or the cap rises to 90-100M.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I don't think they need to retain. Just be willing to accept 1 or 2 bad contracts back.
Retaining must be out of question, since it would have an impact for eight years. That makes cap dumps necessary parts of the deal, regardless of who would be acquiring Price.

To be honest - Price is not moving. He did not sign that contract by accident, and neither did the Canadiens. His NTC is already quite limiting, and when the full NMC kicks in next summer, that's when moving him becomes impossible. He ticks so many boxes in terms of what teams would not be looking for in an asset - age, woeful amount of term, sky high cap hit, even higher salary, crazily high cost of acquisition (we'll get back to this soon) and a concerning injury history (for a goalie, that is). That comes with half-decent goaltending, but if, for some reason, you don't get that from him, then what?

If, however, Montreal decided to cut the cord and explore every possibility of getting rid of the guy, there's a big obstacle right after the beginning: how high a price do you set for Price? If you value him based on how important the guy is for Montreal, you're getting thirty nos as answers and will be left empty-handed. I have a hard time seeing Bergevin not doing that: he knows how important Price is to his team (which is shown by the massive deal he gave to Carey), and honestly, who would not? Instead, Bergevin needs to lower his expectations by a mile. Given the right circumstances (=flexibility in asking price), Price is able to fetch good assets. Those assets just won't be what every Habs fan would want: no young stars would be made available for him, and neither would current superstars. How about blue chip prospects? Sure thing. First rounders? Yes. That might be aiming low for someone who has recently won the Hart and is renowned for being the best one at his job, but if aiming higher results in a guaranteed miss, why bother?

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
What is it with Price to Winnipeg? He has that team on his NTC, and we dont want his contract, it will ruin the whole capstructure of the team, do you think we could sign Ehlers to 6 mil if we have Price at 10??? nope!

Jets have over 7 million in cap space right now, likely a 2-3 million in performance payouts to come out of that. Laine, Ehlers and Trouba are the only ones getting big raises. Plus we have Toby coming off this year which saves us about 6 million and Myers coming off next year.

If we hypothetically traded buff & Mason that's about 12 million, for Price & Petry which is about 16 million it's doable with our available cap space now. Of course need to map out cap for 3-5 years into future to ensure it works but it's possible, might have to trade MP for his cap space (Connor can take his spot). I'm not advocating the trade, I'm just saying its a possibility and might be interesting. I don't think we need buffs offense anymore, his offence comes with a defensive negative. Plus loving Poolman this year so far. If Poolman keeps this up, Myers (about 5-6 cap or whatever it is) could be traded we have too much cap hit in our defence now. Imagine this next year:

Josh Trouba
Kul Petry
Stanley Poolman

Price & Helle

That's some good puck moving, hard hitting and still pretty good balanced D core plus amazing goaltending. No more riverboat gambler. Not to mention as Price ages, once his performance is no longer good enough we can dump his contract on some rebuilding team for a pick or prospect. All that being said Prices contract, no move clause, etc is a huge risk to take on.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
You can't ice a very good team when a goalie is going to take a large chunk of the cap away.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Jets have over 7 million in cap space right now, likely a 2-3 million in performance payouts to come out of that. Laine, Ehlers and Trouba are the only ones getting big raises. Plus we have Toby coming off this year which saves us about 6 million and Myers coming off next year.

If we hypothetically traded buff & Mason that's about 12 million, for Price & Petry which is about 16 million it's doable with our available cap space now. Of course need to map out cap for 3-5 years into future to ensure it works but it's possible, might have to trade MP for his cap space (Connor can take his spot). I'm not advocating the trade, I'm just saying its a possibility and might be interesting. I don't think we need buffs offense anymore, his offence comes with a defensive negative. Plus loving Poolman this year so far. If Poolman keeps this up, Myers (about 5-6 cap or whatever it is) could be traded we have too much cap hit in our defence now. Imagine this next year:

Josh Trouba
Kul Petry
Stanley Poolman

Price & Helle

That's some good puck moving, hard hitting and still pretty good balanced D core plus amazing goaltending. No more riverboat gambler. Not to mention as Price ages, once his performance is no longer good enough we can dump his contract on some rebuilding team for a pick or prospect. All that being said Prices contract, no move clause, etc is a huge risk to take on.
Hey I was fine with this until you threw Stanley in as a Dman for next year -- what the h! He's 3-4 years away at best. No we hang onto Myers for now & Niku will be here long before Stanley.

Rich Jagr

Nov 19, 2011

Lack of average goaltending has plagued both Winnipeg and Calgary for as long as I can remember.

Price with either franchise makes them a Contender and serious threat instantly.
Its a great situation and the cost is reasonable for all involved.

It has to be picks or young prospects with a cap dump or 2, untill Montreal rebuilds a new core.

Rich Jagr

Nov 19, 2011

Josh Trouba
Kul Petry
Stanley Poolman

Price & Helle

howkie

Dec 13, 2014

Josh Trouba
Kul Petry
Stanley Poolman

Price & Helle

Stanley is not ready, and that defence is more or less same caliber as Montreal had since Price claimed the nr 1 spot, see how far that got em...

I have no problem dishing out 10 mil for a player, but doing it to a guy who is over 30, we have no medical status, besides we know Price has had some serious injuries, that aint is pretty for goalies, no way I would gamble. It is easy, in 5 years, who do you rather have? Price or Kane???

Heinekinz

Oct 11, 2017
Im interested to hear from a habs fans point of view.

I personally think it might be time to shop Carey if the Price is right. Teams who lack netminders might jump at the prospect, but for what and for whom.

Does anyone know the list of the 15 teams that Price has agreed to be traded to ?

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Hey I was fine with this until you threw Stanley in as a Dman for next year -- what the h! He's 3-4 years away at best. No we hang onto Myers for now & Niku will be here long before Stanley.

Either way....bottom pairing D....fill in one of our prospect. I do agree Niku is more ready.

Rich Jagr

Nov 19, 2011
So Buff and Mason for Price and Petry?

I dont know what to say to that without inciting arguments, I'll just be assersertive and respond respectivley, niether peice from Winnipeg fits a rebuild or even a re-tool, also considering the value being entirely in Winnipegs favor.

By no means would any of your big guns be in play but all prospects and picks should be considered.

Buff and Mason definitley does not get it done.

Reactions: Heinekinz

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Stanley is not ready, and that defence is more or less same caliber as Montreal had since Price claimed the nr 1 spot, see how far that got em...

I have no problem dishing out 10 mil for a player, but doing it to a guy who is over 30, we have no medical status, besides we know Price has had some serious injuries, that aint is pretty for goalies, no way I would gamble. It is easy, in 5 years, who do you rather have? Price or Kane???

As I stated Prices contract is a huge risk......

Is Kane available? No

Play it safe, likely very small chance Helle ever reaches Price level now or go for it when we've got this window while a knowledging the risks involved. Good debate either way. TBH I'm not sure what I would do, but I do know the chance to win the cup comes around very rarely even for good teams.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
So Buff and Mason for Price and Petry?

I dont know what to say to that without inciting arguments, I'll just be assersertive and respond respectivley, niether peice from Winnipeg fits a rebuild or even a re-tool, also considering the value being entirely in Winnipegs favor.

By no means would any of your big guns be in play but all prospects and picks should be considered.

Buff and Mason definitley does not get it done.

I think I stated smaller pieces can be added in one or more of my posts in the form of picks or prospects....albeit nothing elite or blue chip. Prices contract is a massive risk and negative to his value keep in mind.....part of the idea of the trade is releasing the Habs from that massive cap hit for so long.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Calgary wasn't willing to pay the price to acquire a more proven or longterm option because of Gillies/Parsons/Rittich. I can't see them paying a huge amount to acquire Price and his contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad