Value of: Price to Winnipeg/Calgary at the deadline/offseason this year or next

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I thought the price was set as Laine +1st in the other thread from Winnipeg

Literally everyone laughed at that price, including many Hab fans b/c it was so silly....the reason the thread was locked as well.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
the canadians aren't gonna trade price after giving him that monster extension and no team will want price because of that monster extension

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
What if you need 3.5m more to re-sign Drouin? What if you need space for a TDL deal in case you really are contending? It’s not impossible, but it’s a lot more difficult to ice a SC team with a lot of money tied up on one player.

$3.5M isnt a lot of money to re-sign a Drouin over 5+ years, insignificant even. I mean all elite players will be signing for at least $10M per from now on. Theyre already talking about Matthews costing $12-13M, its around 15% of the cap which is what Crosby and Malkin signed for too.

I mean, what would you have done, trade him? If Berg had guts and want to rebuild/tank a la Toronto/Edmonton, fine, but no GM would cus they want to keep a job.

I undestand Price isnt assured of repeating his Hart/Vezina season for 5+ years, but if the cost is $3+ to have him over a goalie who hasnt proved much (as is for 75% of #1 goalies out there), Ill pay the extra $3M.... I guarantee you any GM would pay that to have the world's best goalie KNOWING the cap is going up. Yes, Id rather have a superstar C, but the Habs dont have one, and wont until they tank.

Last edited:

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
the canadians aren't gonna trade price after giving him that monster extension and no team will want price because of that monster extension
If Price is going to be traded it will take a new GM first and then probably 3/4 years into his new deal already. During those years showing the team is trending in the wrong direction. Today, this year and next, Price isn't moving.

Reactions: JetBlue420

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
I dont think you can unload that contract unless u retain.

What habs fans (not all) want is to unload him for picks or prospects... But... Would never happen cuz other teams have Salary Caps also..

Fun section but the reality of most of the proposals on here truly doesnt exist. Like 95 percent of these proposals are total garbage and would be rejected immediately.

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Are you kidding me? Price will be making 3.5m more than Rinne, which is 50% more than Rinne's contract as is. That's 3.5m you can put on something else.

Quick question, where exactly do you find this something else? Habs currently have 8-9 mil they could spend on something else, but all that's available is dog crap. Where exactly to you find this something else? I'm sure Bergevin would like to know.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
If Price is going to be traded it will take a new GM first and then probably 3/4 years into his new deal already. During those years showing the team is trending in the wrong direction. Today, this year and next, Price isn't moving.

Subban was traded 1 year into a big 8 year deal before his NMC kicked in. It’s not likely, but you can’t come out and say “Price isn’t moving” with any guarantee.

Last edited:

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Subban was traded one year into a big 8 year deal right before his NMC. Not saying it’s likely.

Subban was traded 1 year into a big 8 year deal before his NMC kicked in. It’s not likely, but you can’t come out and say “Price isn’t moving” with any guarantee.
Subban was moved (known only to management) for reasons beyond a hockey trade.
Price doesn't have those issues with them.
Also MB is already getting roasted on some level for moving Subban, I don't think he also wants to be known as the GM that traded Price (especially if he gets less then a stellar return).
Anything is possible but for now I put this in the category of highly, highly unlikely. Montreal will trade a 1st for scoring help before that happens.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
Im interested to hear from a habs fans point of view.

I personally think it might be time to shop Carey if the Price is right. Teams who lack netminders might jump at the prospect, but for what and for whom.

Does anyone know the list of the 15 teams that Price has agreed to be traded to ?

i have always said price should have been traded in the summer of 2015 after his career year, that was his peak value,

second time to trade him was this summer BEFORE signing that rediculous contract,

the ship has sailed, no team wants that contract, price is on the decline, its very obvious, by next season he is a middle of the pack goalie, anybody nuts enough to pay 10 mil to an average goalie?....nope just our stupid GM thats all

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
i have always said price should have been traded in the summer of 2015 after his career year, that was his peak value,

second time to trade him was this summer BEFORE signing that rediculous contract,

the ship has sailed, no team wants that contract, price is on the decline, its very obvious, by next season he is a middle of the pack goalie, anybody nuts enough to pay 10 mil to an average goalie?....nope just our stupid GM thats all
I don't think Price is on the decline. Most goalies don't come into their own until age 26/27. Price is only 30. Anderson in Ottawa is still solid at age 36. It's just a slow start. He's the top goalie in the league IMO and will work through this funk. But contrary to what Hab fans want, he can't save the Habs by himself. Montreal probably has the worst center depth in the league, a backend of defenders (the majority) that belong in the clutch and grab era and while they have some decent young guys worked into the lineup, every team has these types. It doesn't tip the scales.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Quick question, where exactly do you find this something else? Habs currently have 8-9 mil they could spend on something else, but all that's available is dog crap. Where exactly to you find this something else? I'm sure Bergevin would like to know.

1) Price’s 10.5m contract has not kicked in yet

2) i was referring to more down the road, like in 5-6 years.

But thanks for playing.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
Its a pretty sad day for Habs fans when Carey Price is the new Alexei Emelin + Desharnais + 2nd here on the trade boards.

Habs are in a tough spot. Goalies should realistically make $2M base salaries with up to $8M in bonuses.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Calgary cant afford price in term of players or salary

And they probably dont need Price

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
Trade Price to Colorado. The last time the Habs traded an elite goalie there they got good parts back & the Avalanche won a Cup.

Oops, Denver had a team back in those days.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Not a suggestion to either side - but to point something out here:

If Montreal does not trade Price, they will likely never be bad enough for a top draft pick. So if major improvements all around are to be made, it either comes via free agency or major trades. If they don't need all that and the hearsay is just grumblings - then people should probably chill out a bit.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think Price is the best goalie in the world, but that said, I want no part of that contract extension. I'd rather run with Smith this year and next and either extend him afterwards or give Gillies/Parsons the reigns.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Zero interest in Price from a Jets POV......less then zero interest. Not sure how you could construct any realistic offer that would make Price attractive to the Jets.

One year old thread here

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad