Rumor: Price on Kevin Hayes possibly set

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Rangers fans what would be Hayes weaknesses that might sprout up come playoff time? Looking for some fair analysis, not about what he will be traded for. Thanks!
Sometimes he does too much with the puck instead of shooting. This can result in a turnover, but when it does he's not a lazy player that gives up, he'll continue to play a 2-way game after the turn-over, it just could have been avoided if he shot the puck instead of looking to make one more move, or pass it. Hockey IQ isn't the best with the puck, he passes up too many opportunities to shoot.

Another weakness, and I hate to call it a weakness, but he's not the fastest skater, or the smoothest skater. He's fast enough for the NHL, but he'd be a lot more dangerous if he had that 1 extra step.

Last edited:
Reactions: One Winged Angel

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Hayes 37 points in 44 games, Nyquist 45 points in 53 games pretty much identical numbers in as many games. Gorton is delusional if he thinks he gets that kind of return for Hayes.
Isn't one a center? Either way, I like Nyquit and I don't think Hayes gets the a good roster play, top prospect and first. I don't even think that's the real ask.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
Sometimes he does too much with the puck instead of shooting. This can result in a turnover, but when it does he's not a lazy player that gives up, he'll continue to play a 2-way game after the turn-over, it just could have been avoided if he shot the puck instead of looking to make one more move, or pass it. Hockey IQ isn't the best with the puck, he passes up too many opportunities to shoot.

Another weakness, and I hate to call it a weakness, but he's not the fastest skater. or the smoothest skater. He's fast enough for the NHL, but he'd be a lot more dangerous if he had that 1 extra step.

I disagree on his speed. I think he's a big skater who looks slow... but isn't as slow as it appears because of his big stride... I also think he has the puck a lot, and when he has the puck, he likes to slow down the play and stickhandle/glide around the ice. But he does this quite well, so its not a bad thing. He is one of the better players to slow down the play so he can find the open lane/man.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I'd like to hear from Ranger fans as to whether they really believe that Hayes, a UFA player that could very well walk at the end of June, is really worth the asking price of a first-round pick, a top prospect, and a young roster player.

... and if they don't what do they think is a reasonable return?

To me a top prospect could mean likely any prospect ranked in that team's top 4-5-6 or so prospects. A young roster player could mean like a 25-26 year old 3rd or 4th liner or bottom pair D, which is basically what Spooner was last year.

I don't think many Ranger fans think Hayes is going to return a 1st, that team best prospect and some great young roster player, or at least I don't think they should believe that.

My guess if Hayes alone goes as a rental without an extension based on last years deadline? (Yes I know markets can change)

-That teams 2019 1st

-Some okay prospect who has a potential ceiling of middle 6F bottom 4D (Lindgren)

-Something 2020 or 2021 conditional based on if Hayes extends with that team, like a 4th or 3rd that goes a round higher if he does (the rounds may be effected by which tier of prospect is included or if the Rangers send back a pick of their own)

-And that team likely can send back some relatively short term cap hit within reason if they have one they do not want. (Beleskey)

That is basically the Nash deal with some conditional stuff in there should Hayes extend as he is a candidate to do so more so than Nash was.

Yet I'm not convinced it will be Hayes alone going, I kind of think it may be a more complicated deal or maybe the Rangers give him permission to work out an extension with the trading team prior and that would change things based on his next contract.

Rangers have a ton of stuff to move around, they have cap space for this and next season, they have all their picks to swap around need be, and they have two retention spots left. If Hayes alone is not getting the return they are looking for it at least appears to me they have a bunch of chips to splash around with.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

Another weakness, and I hate to call it a weakness, but he's not the fastest skater, or the smoothest skater. He's fast enough for the NHL, but he'd be a lot more dangerous if he had that 1 extra step.
Thank you

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Hayes is a pass first, second and third player. He controls the puck and will hang onto it with creativity and confidence. If he's not on a line with a finisher... there will be a lot of passing/holding... not much else.
Thanks!

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island

@Flair Hay

I’d say this is very accurate aside from the hockey IQ. He has his moments where he should shoot, but that’s because his tendencies are pass first. He does make a boneheaded play once in a blue moon, but more often than not, he makes very high IQ plays.

Reactions: Dijock94

Dijock94

Apr 1, 2016
@Flair Hay

I’d say this is very accurate aside from the hockey IQ. He has his moments where he should shoot, but that’s because his tendencies are pass first. He does make a boneheaded play once in a blue moon, but more often than not, he makes very high IQ plays.

I agree I wouldn’t say he has low hockey IQ at all, just sometimes so patient with the puck that it’s frustrating to watch. Even in those cases he opens up lanes and finds passes a lot.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I agree I wouldn’t say he has low hockey IQ at all, just sometimes so patient with the puck that it’s frustrating to watch. Even in those cases he opens up lanes and finds passes a lot.

Exactly. He needs to shoot more though. His shot is good enough that he can score 25-30 goals, we saw that last year.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I'm not saying he has low IQ. I'm saying with the puck, sometimes his IQ isn't the greatest. He's not a dumb player.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Starting prices go down. I think the young roster player is the thing that really pushes this into dream territory.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
The Jets acquired Stastny @ 50% last year for a 2018 1st round pick (top 3 protected), conditional 2020 4th round pick and Erik Foley (WPG's 3rd round pick in 2015, about 1 PPG the last 2 years in the NCAA).

Let's compare Stastny last year to Hayes this year:

Contract status:
Stastny: 7 mil cap hit, pending UFA
Hayes: 5.175 mil cap hit, pending UFA

Stastny: 40 points in 63 games at time of trade
Hayes: Currently has 36 points in 43 games

Hayes: turns 27 in May

The Jets tried to re-sign Stastny, but he ended up signing with Vegas. Just based on the comparables, Hayes is worth more, but if Winnipeg (or some other team) can work out of deal with him as part of the trade, he's worth a lot more. There are at least 2 teams interested and maybe more. Calgary would be a good fit too. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the return is very close to what is being reported.

concur
and this scenario is Hayes at full pop
NY can eat half which ups price/adds more bidders

Rebuild, acquiring assets

I'd like to hear from Ranger fans as to whether they really believe that Hayes, a UFA player that could very well walk at the end of June, is really worth the asking price of a first-round pick, a top prospect, and a young roster player.

... and if they don't what do they think is a reasonable return?

He could do anything, he is full UFA he controls all the cards

that said,
if his long term goal is NYR, dealing him now = needed assets from us doing too much win now previously, not getting build pieces in either draft or trade

he can walk if he's insulted, but I don't see GMJG going there

I see he not only returns, but doesn't demand like 7m x 7.
I see he does like 6.2 x 5 and earns huge goodwill points for when he hangs up the skates.
Rangers are a 1st class org and if we owe him and the fans remember the solid he does us now, he can write his own ticket post career.

NY will rebound, how fast depends, put best scenario is to sell excess like Namest and some deadwood and have productive Hayes return and we are on the way.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Hayes is a pass first, second and third player. He controls the puck and will hang onto it with creativity and confidence. If he's not on a line with a finisher... there will be a lot of passing/holding... not much else.
He's going to put up back to back 20 goal seasons...yea he's pass first, but he shoots too.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
What do you guys think of a Hayes to MIN for Kaprizov, straight up?

not enough, not strictly about Kaprizov vs Hayes
although at 5'9", signed for at least another year in KHL, almost 22, and 4 years post-draft never have played over here, he is a huge ? to any NHL team

NYR need more futures to build around.
Hayes should actually bring back more than 2 5ths, a 6th and a 7th, but i will just suggest:
Add Boudrias and Sokolov, and toss in Bouramman (NYR have no RHD on the farm) and Wild are getting closer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad