Rumor: Price on Kevin Hayes possibly set

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
All factors considered, Hayes should draw at least what Muzzin did and less than ROR.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kallio

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I don't know all what Nyqvist does for the Red Wings. But for the Rangers Hayes is not only our 2C but a pretty good offensive player. He's also a very good defensive center and our best penalty killing forward....and he's 6'5--very strong and knows how to use his body to shield off defenders and very good making plays therefrom and for the most part he carries whoever is on his line as he's usually not playing with our best wingers.

Personally I'd rather not even make comparisons with Nyqvist if only because he's a winger and teams looking at Hayes are going to be looking for a center.....and IMO there are different markets for wingers and centers and Hayes is pretty much at the top of what is going to be the center market. And IMO since there's more of a shortage of good centers available his value goes up and if we do move him we play teams off against each other and take the best deal and that's regardless of the teams in on him.

Should also say I would have no problem with the Rangers deciding to re-sign Hayes and not trading him. I don't know how Red Wings fans feel about Nyqvist as far as re-signing him but Hayes is a really good player and a very good teammate and he's 26--not a 30 year old.

Reactions: The S5

donpaulo

Capt Barry Beck
May 19, 2003
nihon
www.billcorfield.com
Far better for NY to resign Hayes than trade him for less than he is worth.
As to the "price" set, I suspect that the pick and a prospect NY covets could get it done.
If another GM doesn't want to pay the price, they are welcome to wait for different GM to step up.

Duchene and Hayes play a very different game imho. Hayes has done everything coach asked him to, taking defensive draws, killing penalties and being a team player. While Duchene oozes skill and offensive upside, a defensive guy he is not.

Further Hayes has played behind guys like Stepan, Brassard and now Zibanejad so he is not getting the prime ice time that Duchene has.

No doubt Duchene is lighting the lamp of late and if Ottawa chooses to trade him they should get a great return.

I think in an ideal world Ottawa gets a better return for Duchene than NY gets for Hayes. Then again this is Ottawa we are talking about right ?

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
Hayes is young and should be a part of their rebuild, not sold off for picks or prospects that may or may not pan out. Unless a contender is willing to give up what is stated in the OP he's not going to get traded. Who would be stupid enough to do that? Edmonton? They're stupid. Beyond that I can't think of anybody.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
That trade was a late first, a b prospect, a 9th floor roster player and a cap dump. This ask is for considerably more than that.
That 9th floor roster player just put up 25 points in 39 games for Boston that season, then 16 points in 20 games for us....yes it he didn't work out in the long run but he was a very good player that season, probably better than Nash alone was. So no, the ask isnt "considerably" more than that.

And Hayes is 2x the player Nash was last season. So he will get more.

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
That 9th floor roster player just put up 25 points in 39 games for Boston that season, yes it he didn't work out in the long run but he was a very good player that season, probably better than Nash alone was. So no, the ask isnt "considerably" more than that.

Points are not everything. Spooner was very bad and never fit at all. He was also the add to take a cap dump. There weren't any Bruins fans that lamented that loss. He was going to be non tendered in 2 months.

To compare that package to a first a top prospect and a roster player and say it's similar is just wrong. Not to mention, that trade was universally panned, despite all that.

I don't know what Hayes will get. Different player, wildly different market, but that trade certainly doesn't justify this ask.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Beleskey’s contract at the time wasn’t even bad though..it was less than 2 mil (which Boston retained I think 50% on) and his contract expires this year
And at the time of the trade Spooner was producing well and was near a PPG with us after the trade. Spooner was closer to a top 6er than waiver fodder last years TDL
Also Boston added Ryan Lindgren (decent prospect at the time) who has looked really solid in his 2 game stint in the NHL
The only reason that trade looks bad for Boston is that Nash got injured. Otherwise it’s a win-win.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
GMs can set their asking price at what ever they want . Doesn’t mean a thing as the market will set the value of players . Lots of supply prices go down . If the supplies of available players are low prices will go up . In the pass I seen players get traded for 1st that weren’t worth a 2nd . Plus it only takes about me idiot GM . Does Chia have a new job yet ? He may pay that price as he almost paid that for Reinhart

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Every year I'm absolutely dumbfounded by how few people around here understand how negotiations work.

Last year the Rangers asking price for Nash in early Feb was "a 1st, top prospect, and a lesser player or prospect or pick" according to Bobby Mac. This board lost their minds yet they got almost exactly that package. They just got a lower tier prospect and had to take a cap dump.

Set a price and negotiate from there. This isn't rocket science.
Yep. Players have a certain value within the NHL community. Every GM has his own needs and his own resources. Not everyone needs Hayes. Not everyone can afford Hayes. But if a GM has the need for a canter like Hayes and the resources to pay the price, it’ll happen. Certainly there’s room for negotiation. But I’d say that if Hayes is traded, the return will be in the range mentioned at the top.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Lots of supply prices go down . If the supplies of available players are low prices will go up .
Prices go up when supply is weak, totally. But when there’s a lot of supply, I’d suggest that a lot trades just don’t happen. GMs don’t just dump good players because they’re not getting offered fair value. The trade just doesn’t happen. I know there are examples of players who went cheap. But I’d bet there are thousands of lowball offers that get rejected. We wouldn’t know.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Prices go up when supply is weak, totally. But when there’s a lot of supply, I’d suggest that a lot trades just don’t happen. GMs don’t just dump good players because they’re not getting offered fair value. The trade just doesn’t happen. I know there are examples of players who went cheap. But I’d bet there are thousands of lowball offers that get rejected. We wouldn’t know.

Your right . Some GMs will set their price and stick to it . However if a player is not in the long term plans of a team and will become UFA in the summer you take what you can get or lose him for nothing .

I am not going to sit here and act like I know NYR and Hayes situation . However from an outsider looking in it seems like the NYR,s want to move on from Hayes . I watch the odd NYR game so I have not focus on Hayes game but to me he is young enough to be part of a rebuild so there must be a reason for the NYR to be willing to move on from him .

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I disagree on his speed. I think he's a big skater who looks slow... but isn't as slow as it appears because of his big stride... I also think he has the puck a lot, and when he has the puck, he likes to slow down the play and stickhandle/glide around the ice. But he does this quite well, so its not a bad thing. He is one of the better players to slow down the play so he can find the open lane/man.

Sounds like a poor man's Joe Thornton... a very good thing for a team with a Laine problem on its hands. Size and puck protection would fit how the Jets love to play.

Only thing that sucks is just like Statsny, Jets cant afford him on a long term deal, and he wants to get paid.

Reactions: Profet

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Zero chance they get a first AND top prospect.
Most Rangers fans would agree. I see a 1st + decent prospect coming back.

Rangers can retain in Hayes. They can also absorb a bad contract. A player like Fast or McQaid can also be bundled with Hayes.

I wouldn’t be surprised if there was a conditional pick in a trade if he re-signs as well.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Well, it's nice to want things. As the deadline approaches, and the Rangers gain clarity with respect to how little they stand to benefit from keeping him (just to see him walk on July 1st), I'd expect the price will come down.

No one is liable to pay those prices, which are consistent with those being set by other sellers on their gems at present, players who also aren't flying off the shelves at current prices. Buyers are waiting to see the rates change as the deadline gets closer. Nothing wrong with the actions of either buyers or sellers right now, with 15 days to go.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
Hayes is young and should be a part of their rebuild, not sold off for picks or prospects that may or may not pan out. Unless a contender is willing to give up what is stated in the OP he's not going to get traded. Who would be stupid enough to do that? Edmonton? They're stupid. Beyond that I can't think of anybody.

Im sure this is barking up the wrong tree because Cheveldayoff is tighter than a gnats arse on a lemon wedge, but...

1)
Hayes for

1st, Lemieux, Appleton

2)
Hayes + 3rd

1st, Lemieux, Niku

3)
Hayes + 2nd + Wall/Huska/Gettinger/Meskanen

1st, Lemieux, Vasalainen

Last edited:

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Im sure this is barking up the wirng tree because Cheveldayoff is tighter than a gnats arse on a lemon wedge, but...

1)
Hayes for

1st, Lemieux, Appleton

2)
Hayes + 3rd

1st, Lemieux, Niku

3)

1st, Lemieux, Vasalainen

Jets pass on both 1 & 2 trades......then the trade of 1st, Lemieux & Vesalainen is horrible for the Jets.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Im sure this is barking up the wrong tree because Cheveldayoff is tighter than a gnats arse on a lemon wedge, but...

1)
Hayes for

1st, Lemieux, Appleton

2)
Hayes + 3rd

1st, Lemieux, Niku

3)

1st, Lemieux, Vasalainen

Yeah no chance Jets make any of those trades. In the end Hayes will most likely being back a 1st and a decent prospect

Sparksrus3

NYI - THE TEAM WITH NO ❤️
Jun 2, 2012
It may sound like an overpayment but Hayes is worth it imo, any team that gets Hayes will end up happy with him

I would love this guy on the Islanders as much as I hate him on the Rangers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->