Rumor: Price on Kevin Hayes possibly set

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
They won't get that, but it's the right starting ask.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Hayes and a 2 for Panarin and a 4? Both UFA's. CBJ has a chance at a Cup and Hayes will come much cheaper, if they intend on signing him. Panarin for a prospect and 1st certainly won't help CBJ now. I don't know, just an idea. Feel free to rip me.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Hayes and a 2 for Panarin and a 4? Both UFA's. CBJ has a chance at a Cup and Hayes will come much cheaper, if they intend on signing him. Panarin for a prospect and 1st certainly won't help CBJ now. I don't know, just an idea. Feel free to rip me.

Why would a rebuilding team give up anything for a pending UFA? If the Rangers have any intention of signing Panarin (and I have my doubts that they do), they can do so in the summer. Giving up our best tradeable asset, plus a 2nd rounder, for a pending UFA is a terrible idea.

Reactions: Riche16 and Kupo

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT

Possibly the silliest thing the Rangers can do with Hayes.

Instead of acquiring futures for Hayes like a rebuilding team should be doing, we're moving him and a 2nd for a pending UFA? That's just a ridiculous idea.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Well likewise, why is Columbus trading a superstar winger for a guy who can walk in a few months? That’s the whole issue there. You can say Hayes would resign with them and that Columbus would have mutual interest in doing so but that’s just conjecture. The Blue Jackets aren’t trading Panarin for a slight pick upgrade and a rental. They can also just sign Hayes in the summer and keep their star forward for their playoff push. Goes both ways. Hayes is really good but if Columbus is going all in this year, you don’t swap Breadman for Hayes. You just ride with Panarin and sign Hayes in the summer if he leaves.

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
1)
Hayes for

1st, Lemieux, Appleton - 2 roster players in their rookie seasons who have been playing excellent recently (Lemieux with 8 goals since the new year playing on the 4th line) - Not a chance.

2)
Hayes + 3rd

1st, Lemieux, Niku - Would have been similar to the Jet's asking the rangers for 1st, Skjei and Hajek/37th pick prior to the 16-17 season for Little. Doubt Ranger fans would have been ecstatic about that proposal.

3)
Hayes + 2nd + Wall/Huska/Gettinger/Meskanen

1st, Lemieux, Vasalainen - a 1st, a former 1st who's done nothing to increase his value since being drafted and a former 31st overall pick who's been excellent and cementing a spot on our roster, and you add only a 2nd and some throw away prospects that wouldn't even sniff our top 10/15? Big ole nope right there

Most i'd offer would be conditional 2nd (turns to 1st if re-signed or WPG wins the cup) + Petan + Green + conditional 3rd/4th (turns into 2nd/3rd if WPG advances to cup final)

McDLT

I'm a style boy for life
Mar 1, 2016
Calgary
Most i'd offer would be conditional 2nd (turns to 1st if re-signed or WPG wins the cup) + Petan + Green + conditional 3rd/4th (turns into 2nd/3rd if WPG advances to cup final)
I think that you're close on the total value, but I think that NYR would want the value condensed into one or two pieces rather than four. Unconditional 1st + Petan or something like that.

edit: for the record, I don't think that the Jets should even pay that much for Hayes... I just think that a 1st+petan would be a fair price.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Kevin Hayes would look great on the Leafs.
Leafs need a two way center like Hayes more than they want to admit. With that said, outside of term, Hayes is a much more valuable asset than Muzzin.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
I'll admit. I don't watch Lemiuex closely. I was under the assumption he was a scratch/4th liner most nights due to depth quality of the roster.

Mostly wanted him as a risk/reward player where at worst he could bring a truculent game to a young team the next few years.

Also assuming Jet's 1st is 25 or later so it's not much more value than a 2nd imo.

Tried to come up with a useful prospect in the mold of what we got last year for McD. Not your best, but 2-4 in your pool.

Rumored ask for Hayes is 1st, roster player, prosect. Staright up. I tried to adjust accordingly with adding a pick from us.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Leafs need a two way center like Hayes more than they want to admit. With that said, outside of term, Hayes is a much more valuable asset than Muzzin.
I'm a NYR fan, but how so? A D-man who's going to consistently be given a #2/3/4 role is pretty valuable for a playoff team, maybe even more-so than a 2-way center, when you already have a center that can target other teams top lines. Kadri can play against top lines and their center depth isn't lacking. I think going after their defense is more valuable right now for the Leafs.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

I have no horse in this race but honestly that trade seems pointless for CBJ. Hayes is a really good player but Panarin is an elite winger. The difference between a 2nd and 4th round pick is not even close to make up for it. Both players are UFA's at the end of the season as well.

If CBJ is interested in a cup run this year, they are better off holding on to Panarin. If not, they should go for a combination of picks/prospects/RFA's in return.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
1)
Hayes for

1st, Lemieux, Appleton - 2 roster players in their rookie seasons who have been playing excellent recently (Lemieux with 8 goals since the new year playing on the 4th line) - Not a chance.

2)
Hayes + 3rd

1st, Lemieux, Niku - Would have been similar to the Jet's asking the rangers for 1st, Skjei and Hajek/37th pick prior to the 16-17 season for Little. Doubt Ranger fans would have been ecstatic about that proposal.

3)
Hayes + 2nd + Wall/Huska/Gettinger/Meskanen

1st, Lemieux, Vasalainen - a 1st, a former 1st who's done nothing to increase his value since being drafted and a former 31st overall pick who's been excellent and cementing a spot on our roster, and you add only a 2nd and some throw away prospects that wouldn't even sniff our top 10/15? Big ole nope right there

Jets would be nuts to trade a 1st along with two young roster players for Hayes. Similarly, they aren't going to trade a 1st, a young roster player and a top prospect for Hayes and a 3rd. Those prices are all too high.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
I'm a NYR fan, but how so? A D-man who's going to consistently be given a #2/3/4 role is pretty valuable for a playoff team, maybe even more-so than a 2-way center, when you already have a center that can target other teams top lines. Kadri can play against top lines and their center depth isn't lacking. I think going after their defense is more valuable right now for the Leafs.
Have you watched Muzzin play much? At this point, he is a serviceable 3/4D. He isn't really outstanding at anything in particular. Hayes, on the other hand, is a 2C who has continually improved his game. He is a 200 foot possession player who can win faceoffs and dominate the puck. There are more guys capable of doing what Muzzin does than there are those who can do what Hayes does.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Have you watched Muzzin play much? At this point, he is a serviceable 3/4D. He isn't really outstanding at anything in particular. Hayes, on the other hand, is a 2C who has continually improved his game. He is a 200 foot possession player who can win faceoffs and dominate the puck. There are more guys capable of doing what Muzzin does than there are those who can do what Hayes does.

You're comparing 2 players to each other, instead of what those players bring to the table for the Leafs. For the leafs, Hayes is not more valuable. Kevin Hayes is pushing 48-49% on faceoff this season. Kadri is pushing 53-54% . Tavares is pushing 54-55% on the dot. So all the qualities Hayes brings, that's just a bonus on top of what they have. The real need was the backend, not the middle #1-3/

Last edited:

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
You're comparing 2 players to each other, instead of what those players bring to the table for the Leafs. For the leafs, Hayes is not more valuable. Kevin Hayes is pushing 48-49% on faceoff this season. Kadri is pushing 53-54% . Tavares is pushing 54-55% on the dot. So all the qualities Hayes brings, that's just a bonus on top of what they have. The real need was the backend, not the middle #1-3/

They need overall team defense. Hayes brings that with offense as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad