Series Talk: PREVIEW - First Round matchup vs T.O. - "Centre of the Universe"

What will be the outcome of the Boston/Toronto series?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
Kuraly is a massive loss. His size speed and grit are what the playoffs are all about. If Toronto’s PP is going we are in trouble. All that said I really believe we have to start strong and keep them down and we will be ok.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Kuraly is a massive loss. His size speed and grit are what the playoffs are all about. If Toronto’s PP is going we are in trouble. All that said I really believe we have to start strong and keep them down and we will be ok.
think the majority of penalties the B`s might take vs the Leafs will be speed related. IF the B`s are playing with a focus on proper positioning vs the Leafs, they won`t be in a spot to get those penalties we often see called with a player using their speed (hooking/tripping etc..)

Key will be IMO

Get the save when they need it from Tuukka

Aggressive forecheck with two forwards, always having one player a bit high to avoid quick and easy outlet passes often leading to odd man rushes the other way

Cycle the puck vs the Leafs D

Faceoff % will be key, can`t score without the puck, want our boys to be starting with the puck not chasing it

Reactions: Tbaybruin

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
sorry Toronto fans... its getting sickening listening to the same message again and again on your talking head sports shows... how Toronto has more depth and better scoring.

sure, when you play a crappy 1-way loser style of run-and-gun your numbers are slightly higher

but now you pretend that you can tighten up defensively and STILL SCORE!?! is this a delusion or just a lie that you want to tell yourself?

playing solid defense DOES EFFECT SCORING... the reason boston didnt score as much is our guys are told to play a solid defense everygame

Bergeron/marchand will eat you alive because they are ELITE SCORERS who do it WHILE PLAYING DEFENSE. krejci will eat you alive because he is a very superior scorer who does it WHILE PLAYING DEFENSE

our defense plays defense

I heard a guy yesterday on Toronto radio say Toronto has more depth scoring in their bottom 6... within 2 mins he says Toronto will play only 3 lines. ?????WTF?????

boston is happy to play 4 lines because we do have depth

im not saying Toronto doesnt have some dangerous offense up front. everyone will respect Matthews/marner/Tavares and their ability... but the rest of your team isnt special at all

hey Toronto did you forget Bergeron/marchand/pastrnak? was it some sort of post stress trauma that has caused a blackout of your memory?

we have depth... and we have elite scorers who play defense... you were right to complain the past 2-3 months that the playoffs are unfair to you. sorry but it looks bad to be a Toronto fan if the wish was to win a playoff round

try again next year but in the meantime improve your defense

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The Bruins are 7-8 in 15 previous series against the Maple Leafs, with Boston holding a 38-37-1 record over 76 games. Nine of the meetings came before 1950 and all but one before 1974. The teams have met once in the Stanley Cup Final, Boston's 4-1 series victory in 1939 for their second Stanley Cup title.

2018 First Round | Boston 4, Toronto 3
2013 First Round | Boston 4, Toronto 3
1974 Quarterfinals | Boston 4, Toronto 0
1972 Quarterfinals | Boston 4, Toronto 1
1969 Quarterfinals | Boston 4, Toronto 0
1959 Semifinals | Boston 3, Toronto 4
1951 Semifinals | Boston 1, Toronto 4
1949 Semifinals | Boston 1, Toronto 4
1948 Semifinals | Boston 1, Toronto 4
1941 Semifinals | Boston 4, Toronto 3
1939 Stanley Cup Final | Boston 4, Toronto 1
1938 Semifinals | Boston 0, Toronto 3
1936 Quarterfinals | Boston 1, Toronto 1 (Maple Leafs won series on goal differential, 11-3)
1935 Semifinals | Boston 1, Toronto 3
1933 Semifinals | Boston 2, Toronto 3

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Got my bracket in. Went with a rematch of the 88 cup final, which was as annoying a series to watch as any.

Boston vs Calgary for all the marbles. Figured may as well enjoy an optimistic run of games.

Reactions: eightspokedb

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
The Bruins are 7-8 in 15 previous series against the Maple Leafs, with Boston holding a 38-37-1 record over 76 games. Nine of the meetings came before 1950 and all but one before 1974. The teams have met once in the Stanley Cup Final, Boston's 4-1 series victory in 1939 for their second Stanley Cup title.

2018 First Round | Boston 4, Toronto 3
2013 First Round | Boston 4, Toronto 3
1974 Quarterfinals | Boston 4, Toronto 0
1972 Quarterfinals | Boston 4, Toronto 1
1969 Quarterfinals | Boston 4, Toronto 0
1959 Semifinals | Boston 3, Toronto 4
1951 Semifinals | Boston 1, Toronto 4
1949 Semifinals | Boston 1, Toronto 4
1948 Semifinals | Boston 1, Toronto 4
1941 Semifinals | Boston 4, Toronto 3
1939 Stanley Cup Final | Boston 4, Toronto 1
1938 Semifinals | Boston 0, Toronto 3
1936 Quarterfinals | Boston 1, Toronto 1 (Maple Leafs won series on goal differential, 11-3)
1935 Semifinals | Boston 1, Toronto 3
1933 Semifinals | Boston 2, Toronto 3

prior to bobby orr in the dark ages of the bruins {and before im born} we were 2-8 against them?

post bobby orr and during y lifetime we are 6-0 {after I post this 2 weeks from now?}

its interesting to see the history of hockey but there was a time there was 3 good teams in the nhl and 3 not good teams. historical records get skewed a bit

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
think the majority of penalties the B`s might take vs the Leafs will be speed related. IF the B`s are playing with a focus on proper positioning vs the Leafs, they won`t be in a spot to get those penalties we often see called with a player using their speed (hooking/tripping etc..)

Key will be IMO

Get the save when they need it from Tuukka

Aggressive forecheck with two forwards, always having one player a bit high to avoid quick and easy outlet passes often leading to odd man rushes the other way

Cycle the puck vs the Leafs D

Faceoff % will be key, can`t score without the puck, want our boys to be starting with the puck not chasing it

what I hate is when preception becomes reality

I remember a couple years ago... we had the number 1 pp in the league and we were playing montreal. everyone and their dog said we cant afford to take penalties because subban will kill us. we psyched ourselves and sure enough the entire series became about their pp beating us. made me puke

now... they are trying to do it with Toronto's speed. omg Toronto is so fast. boston will have to cheat to slow Toronto down.

watch the refs hear all this narrative and it will be in their heads as they watch the games and it will blow the whistle because it must be true If everyone is saying it

people still think we are a goon team. Toronto media/fans have been screaming how the leafs have to get bigger and stronger because we will bully them out of existence. but... our fans make a thread wolves dragdressing as sheeps and it gets 34hundred billion posts how we need another 17 steroid users in our lineup

perception becomes reality...

if we allow the story to become how we are a big slow goon team then it will cost us BECAUSE WE ARENT A BIG SLOW GOON TEAM.

The puck always moves faster when passed by skilled players then any human can ever skate it. smart people get open better than fast donkeys do.

when im watching marchand/Bergeron/and pastrnak or krejci attacking the net and setting up their triangles they dont need to be skating like rocket ships to get their open shots at the net.

personally I have heard Toronto complaining all year about their lack of penalties. the reality is their players dont engage. they play on the perimeter more than any other team I see. I wouldnt expect a lot of pp chances either way.

but certainly it wont help our cause if we wear the black hat and swirl our mustaches {twirl?}

lets go ahead and admit we are just as skilled... just as deep... just as good as Toronto is and the reason we are about to beat them is party due to being every bit as talented, but at the same time being much harder working/competing/grittier and dedicated to solid defense.

we arent a goon team... but we do play hard edged hockey and thats totally within the rules

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
they didn`t have anything to play for?

Had the Leafs played even average hockey, they could have pushed the B`s for home ice

If the B`s had of played the way the Leafs have since Christmas would you feel the same?

All you have to do is look at the leaf line up and do the math to know this is a very very good team and a super hard first rd opponent.

I truly love this bruin team . It might be the best playoff suited team we have had since 2008 . For that reason I am picking us. However you take the last yr leafs you add J.T and Muzzin . You give another yr to a young core that hasn't hit its prime but it is awesome and we all should be able to figure out how good this team can be . At times this yr they were that good . I look at tbay bos and tor as the best three in the east so I am not taking this team the least bit lightly .

By the way I just took 2008 as the re start of the bruins in the playoff era and no 2008 wasn't better lol.

Tonight might be a good start on showing what the later half of regular season means . The hottest team late season who I do expect to lose this series to Winnipeg hasn't scored yet and the hottest regular season team all yr round lost to Columbus who is a dangerous team. I took bolts in 6 pre series and will stick with that but who knows .

Oops spoke too early on jets lol.

Last edited:

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
Leaf fan coming in peace.

Saw this video and I have to admit it is amazing. You guys will love it
*sorry if it was posted before

Reactions: Neely2005

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
Bruins fan here...no, the USA won't. The USA will be the #2 team, but Canada still has the depth and top end talent to best the Americans. No shame in being #2 (and I'm saying this honestly, not in a trolling manner).

Yes they will, unless Hockey Canada wakes up and does something to get more kids involved in hockey.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
All you have to do is look at the leaf line up and do the math to know this is a very very good team and a super hard first rd opponent.

I truly love this bruin team . It might be the best playoff suited team we have had since 2008 . For that reason I am picking us. However you take the last yr leafs you add J.T and Muzzin . You give another yr to a young core that hasn't hit its prime but it is awesome and we all should be able to figure out how good this team can be . At times this yr they were that good . I look at tbay bos and tor as the best three in the east so I am not taking this team the least bit lightly .

By the way I just took 2008 as the re start of the bruins in the playoff era and no 2008 wasn't better lol.

Tonight might be a good start on showing what the later half of regular season means . The hottest team late season who I do expect to lose this series to Winnipeg hasn't scored yet and the hottest regular season team all yr round lost to Columbus who is a dangerous team. I took bolts in 6 pre series and will stick with that but who knows .

Oops spoke too early on jets lol.
not close to being the "best playoff suited team", and 2008 was a team still learning. I like the makeup of this team but the B`s, like the Leafs, still have to have some concerns with a few things, for the B`s, will that 3rd line contribute? For the Leafs, can they play any D?

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
  1. Ben Bishop, Dallas Stars
  2. Philipp Grubauer, Colorado Avalanche
  3. Marc-Andre Fluery, Vegas Golden Knights
  4. Petr Mrazek, Carolina Hurricanes
  5. Sergei Bobrovsky, Columbus Blue Jackets
That is brutal.

The only two you can make a case for in that top 5 are BobO and MAF. The rest should be in the bottom 5 IMO

Grubauer and Mrazek are questionable but Bishop has been unreal this season. He should probably win the Vezina, the only reason he won't is because he has 46 GP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad