Series Talk: PREVIEW - First Round matchup vs T.O. - "Centre of the Universe"

What will be the outcome of the Boston/Toronto series?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Will over skill.

Also, why would you have thought that TOR would annihilate the B's a month ago?

Since January 1st the Laffs are a tepid 20-17-6. The Bruins are 28-11-5.

The problem with the top TOR D is not offensive talent, it's that they can't play defense. Has that changed?

Plus Freddy the Fraud. He's got a lot to prove. Lots of good regular season tenders can't get it done when the lights shine bright, and he has a lot to prove.

BlackCrowes

Sep 10, 2014
Sunny Old Lyme
It seems like a lot of people (myself included) are questioning the kampher choice. Do you think it’s possible that Butch will draw Clifton and Kuhlman in for the first two games when he controls the last change, and for game three reverts back to vets with Kampher and Backes drawing in to help with the road?

Jaguar God

Go Bruins!
Jun 19, 2018
Montreal
It's a beautiful thing to finally see the USA catch Canada. We will be the #1 powerhouse for hockey shortly.
Bruins fan here...no, the USA won't. The USA will be the #2 team, but Canada still has the depth and top end talent to best the Americans. No shame in being #2 (and I'm saying this honestly, not in a trolling manner).

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Bruins fan here...no, the USA won't. The USA will be the #2 team, but Canada still has the depth and top end talent to best the Americans. No shame in being #2 (and I'm saying this honestly, not in a trolling manner).

I was kind of joking in my post, but I don't agree with the feeling that the USA won't ever pass Canada. It can easily happen over time. We're catching up and fast.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
If you listed NHL arenas you could wear your B's jersey at a playoff game for, and be just fine, Toronto is right up there among the safest. Montreal on the other hand, you're 50-50 to get into some !@#$
Well........luckily we won't have to worry about Bruins fans going up to Montreal and getting in a beef with
Habs fans for a playoff game or series for a long long time LOL....

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I was kind of joking in my post, but I don't agree with the feeling that the USA won't ever pass Canada. It can easily happen over time. We're catching up and fast.

I'm a Canadian and I agree that the Americans are catching up - it is a good thing for us all.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
It seems like a lot of people (myself included) are questioning the kampher choice. Do you think it’s possible that Butch will draw Clifton and Kuhlman in for the first two games when he controls the last change, and for game three reverts back to vets with Kampher and Backes drawing in to help with the road?

I think that Kampfer and Clifton are fairly similar players. They both skate well, with Kampfer not as physical as Clifton (nor does he hit in the open ice like CC does), but he doesn't seem to take as many chances, which may be why Cassidy starts with him (if he does)? Kampfer has a lot more game experience, but surprisingly not more NHL playoff experience (both have zero). CC has the better plus/minus and averages more minutes when he does play, so he probably has the trust of the staff? Another intangible is that Clifton appears to be confident enough that the playoff pressure won't affect him?

I don't think this decision will make or break the series, but personally I think I prefer Clifton. Cassidy was on 98.5 this morning and said they liked Clifton, his foot speed, and that he played some big minutes when guys were hurt. It didn't sound like he had ruled him out?

Reactions: Boston Bandit

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
What is Maple Leafs' path to first-round victory vs. Bruins? - Sportsnet.ca

Some sobering stats demonstrating Toronto's superior offence. Bruins in 5, I don't think so. If Rask goes from terrible to awesome maybe. But there's no reason to predict a short series when the Leafs without Tavares and Muzzin took us to 7 last year.

Bruins also didn't have a dominant Krejci. A healthy Carlo. Our 3C was coming off a concussion. Our 2RW was coming off a concussion. We've replaced the pylons named Miller and mcQ (Miller was good tho last year, not irreplaceable tho)..Schaller out Wagner in, huge difference. Faster legs in Kuhlman and Nordstrom.

A healthy Coyle and MoJo >>>>>>>>>>>> Nash x 2 w concussions

A goalie who has a legit NHL starter breathing down his neck >>>>>Last year

Our top line >>>>>>>> 2018-19 Top line

DeBrusk and Heinen >>>>>>> rookie DeBrusk and Heinen (who both did very well)

Mojo-Coyle-Heinen >>>>>>>>>>>> light years better than last year line 3

Krejci 2019>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Krejci 2018

Clifton and Carlo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Miller and McQ

This team is better than last years.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
It's a beautiful thing to finally see the USA catch Canada. We will be the #1 powerhouse for hockey shortly.

hope that silences those who still think that hockey is Canada`s game only. Nothing makes me cringe more than after a country defeats Canada the complication dissection of what happened begins when in reality, all that they need to do is understand that so many other countries produce fantastic players and have put in place programs of development that have, in recent years, started to really show the results from all those efforts.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
You wish is was that long. Also, Who's that 4th player, bro? This is like Day 5 of me having to ask. You could have told me and been done with it.

lol it won't even be 100 years, it's never.

You have to understand, hockey is a religion in Canada. It's just never going to reach that status in the USA because you guys are fortunate to have so many other popular sports too. The top 20 pt scorers this year in the NHL:

1 German
2 Finns
3 Russians
3 Americans

11 Canadians

In the top 50 pt scorers this year, there are 22 Canadians. Nearly half, vs all the other countries.

That's not to say that USA hockey hasn't made big strides. But let's be serious... Canada can send 3 teams to a theoretical Olympics and all 3 would be live for gold.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
hope that silences those who still think that hockey is Canada`s game only. Nothing makes me cringe more than after a country defeats Canada the complication dissection of what happened begins when in reality, all that they need to do is understand that so many other countries produce fantastic players and have put in place programs of development that have, in recent years, started to really show the results from all those efforts.

Other countries producing players is just good for the game. More talent in the league is never a bad thing...Especially with the league expanding once more and giving us 32 teams.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Other countries producing players is just good for the game. More talent in the league is never a bad thing...Especially with the league expanding once more and giving us 32 teams.

it`s not just the talent being produced but it`s some of the places they are coming from, in the States, look at a guy like Matthews from that hockey hotbed (no pun intended) in Arizona, our own Miller in California, Nico Hischier first overall from Switzerland

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
it`s not just the talent being produced but it`s some of the places they are coming from, in the States, look at a guy like Matthews from that hockey hotbed (no pun intended) in Arizona, our own Miller in California, Nico Hischier first overall from Switzerland

Great point. These players aren't just coming from your typical "hockey hotbeds" in the USA and other countries.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

Yes but the Canadians did invent some of the best pro games in the world Hockey Football and Basketball. :dunno:

It's only a matter of time before the US surpasses Canadians with more Americans playing in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad