GDT: Preseason Hockey! Game #4 - Your New Jersey Devils vs. New York Rangers, 7 PM, MSG

Bone Density

Jul 27, 2022
Devils make their first round of cuts: Forwards: Samuel Laberge, Xavier Parent, Nolan Stevens, Garrett Van Wyhe Defensemen: Fillip Bratt, Jarrod Gourley Goaltender: Isaac Poulter

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
Honestly, right now, for me:

Palat Hughes Holtz
Rango Nico Bratto
Wood Haula Mercer
Zetterlund McLeod Bastian
extras: Tatar, Boqvist

Graves Hamilton
Sieges Severson
Smith/Bahl Marino
Extra: Smith/Bahl

Blackwood & Vanacek

First callups: Thompson, Halonen; Okhotiuk

SELL: Johnsson, Walsh

SHOOT INTO SUN: Geertsen
Yeah, No..

Tatar has been rock solid this preseason and played well with Nico. Rango can play up and down the lineup.

Plus, Bahl deserves the last spot with Smith as the extra.

Okhotyuk is overrated. He makes silly mistakes (similar to Walsh) but he is more aggressive so he get’s a lot of hype. I also feel Zetterland is overhyped for the same qualities. They had a good call last year. Their preseason have been “meh” at best.

Mercer will bounce back, but he seems to be pressing. I can seen a sophomore slump.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Honestly, right now, for me:

Palat Hughes Holtz
Rango Nico Bratto
Wood Haula Mercer
Zetterlund McLeod Bastian
extras: Tatar, Boqvist

Graves Hamilton
Sieges Severson
Smith/Bahl Marino
Extra: Smith/Bahl

Blackwood & Vanacek

First callups: Thompson, Halonen; Okhotiuk

SELL: Johnsson, Walsh

SHOOT INTO SUN: Geertsen
I'm certainly good with Zetterlund getting the start over Tatar, and putting Wood with Haula and Mercer.

Reactions: Clam Jensen

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Sorry man. Johnsson was like an advertisement on how not to play hockey.

When he has infinite time and space, he makes beautiful passes. He just will never get that consistently in the NHL, and he loses every single puck battle, throws the puck away. He's more undersized garbage that just can't do anything else. Watching Palat and even Haula shows what it takes to win in the NHL and Mango has none of that.

Camille the Eel

i don’t want johnsson on the team anymore, and rango shouldn’t play center. and blackwood looked good thank god.

those are my impressions of the game tonight
I didn’t see the 3d period but I was surprised they left Blackwood in there after the amount of shots he faced in the first two periods. He had been superb so why not leave him with that?

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I'm still not sold on goaltending. Sorry, one game in the preseason against a pretty weak lineup with a lot of non-NHL caliber players isn't enough to get me to believe. And that's only just a disclaimer for my point, I'm not looking to shit on him he played a great game.

But other than goaltending, I'm not sold on Ruff. I don't like that he's back. I can't really take him coming back seriously and I do think we're close to seeing Brunette take over.

And I know I played this game a lot last year (''Ruff will be gone by Christmas!'' ''Ruff will be gone by New Years!'' ''Ruff will be gone by January 13th!'' ''Okay, Ruff is probably here the rest of the season, but will be fired no later than a few days after the season ends!'', but I wouldn't continue playing this game anymore if Andrew Brunette were not one of the assistants brought in.
No one is sold on this goaltending but unfortunately there isn’t any other goaltending available at the goaltending store for Fitz to pick up right now.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
I didn’t see the 3d period but I was surprised they left Blackwood in there after the amount of shots he faced in the first two periods. He had been superb so why not leave him with that?
Remember who our head coach is ? Haha. In all honesty it's good Blackwood got a full game. Last year he would of been pulled or out injured.

Reactions: Camille the Eel

Camille the Eel

Remember who our head coach is ? Haha. In all honesty it's good Blackwood got a full game. Last year he would of been pulled or out injured.
Plus a good deal of the purpose of this right now is conditioning, getting guys in game shape.
The play tonight in the 2d period (that I saw) was the most ragged I’ve seen from us this camp so far. Guys nearly tripping over pucks and over each other, turnovers by one team followed by immediate turnovers by the other, bouncing pucks, drop passes to nobody, changes of possession - like the proverbial barrel of monkeys.

Reactions: My3Sons

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
I watched the highlights since the stream I had was garbage and lagged a ton.

Hughes could of had like 4 goals tonight. Glad he got atleast 1 but it's been nice to see him become a better goal scorer. Not just his shot but him actually going down low to the "dirty areas" to score is good to see. He's getting better at finding those soft spots in coverage.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
I'm still not sold on goaltending. Sorry, one game in the preseason against a pretty weak lineup with a lot of non-NHL caliber players isn't enough to get me to believe. And that's only just a disclaimer for my point, I'm not looking to shit on him he played a great game.

But other than goaltending, I'm not sold on Ruff. I don't like that he's back. I can't really take him coming back seriously and I do think we're close to seeing Brunette take over.

And I know I played this game a lot last year (''Ruff will be gone by Christmas!'' ''Ruff will be gone by New Years!'' ''Ruff will be gone by January 13th!'' ''Okay, Ruff is probably here the rest of the season, but will be fired no later than a few days after the season ends!'', but I wouldn't continue playing this game anymore if Andrew Brunette were not one of the assistants brought in.
very excited for you to post this again verbatim 1 calendar year from now

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Sorry man. Johnsson was like an advertisement on how not to play hockey.

When he has infinite time and space, he makes beautiful passes. He just will never get that consistently in the NHL, and he loses every single puck battle, throws the puck away. He's more undersized garbage that just can't do anything else. Watching Palat and even Haula shows what it takes to win in the NHL and Mango has none of that.

It should be a no brainer that he gets waived

Reactions: billingtons ghost

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Devils score ONE goal and get badly out-shot and this board is blaming Geertsen, Johnsson and 19-year-old Chase Stillman?

Really?

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets

Not that I don’t value your posting, but goddamn I hope you’re proven wrong. Whenever it happens, at least this is assuredly Ruff’s last season.

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
Yes, Hischier did

He broke his wrist facepalming while watching this performance.

The good:
Blackwood can stop a puck.
Jack.

Ignoring the score and considering the lineup they were playing against, that first period might have been one of the worst devils performances in recent memory. I know it's preseason, but it doesn't bode well for the regular season.

I think most of us knew that the lineup combinations were terrible even before the game, hopefully now Ruff knows it too. The 1st line was a bit off and the rest were terrible. Chase Stillman is the most disappointing devils draft pick in the last decade. Even guys like Quenneville and Matteau showed more. If he doesn't figure things out, I don't think he's even good enough for AHL. He made 1 pass, and the rest of the time he gave the puck away. Boqvist is for sure gone, there's nothing he can do playing next to guys like this. Unless this is all some 4D chess move to make Boq look terrible so he clears the waivers.

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
Devils score ONE goal and get badly out-shot and this board is blaming Geertsen, Johnsson and 19-year-old Chase Stillman?

Really?

Yes. Johnsson and Stillman single handedly killed the whole 2nd and 3rd line. Geertsen wasn't bad for what he is and what his role was in the 4th line, people just don't want him taking a spot from someone else in the regular season.

Reactions: Bleedred

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad