GDT: Preseason Hockey! Game #4 - Your New Jersey Devils vs. New York Rangers, 7 PM, MSG

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Nah, that reminded me of a 13-16 Schneider game more so than last year.
That's exactly what I said.

Cue John Hynes presser saying ''Well....We don't look at the quantity of shots we allow, we look at the quality of shots and to me that wasn't a 48-31 shot game''.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
I tried to watch the 2nd and 3rd period in a parking lot on my phone in my car. The streams were so bad but I got to see some of the game. It is what it is , we were bound to lose at some point. We played much better against a better Rags lineup so this loss sucks in that sense. Atleast Blackwood was solid and Jack with Palat looks like a good duo. Stinks it had to be the Rags but we beat them worse in their building last night so it's all good. These games are what they are , a try out for certain players and a warmup for the regulars. Everything really matters come the season opener vs the Flyers. We have been fans for too long to know preseason isn't shit aside for the young guys looking to make the opening lineup.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Johnsson isn't bad, but he's reached a point for me personally where frustration just washes over my body when I hear his name. I can't help it.
A 28 year old on an expiring contract really shouldn't be retained over a 24 year old that finally started to show promise and was one of the surprise players in the second half of last season.

He's not a terrible player at all, but he's probably not a big loss. He's almost guaranteed to not be here after this year, no matter what happens to him this year.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
A 28 year old on an expiring contract really shouldn't be retained over a 24 year old that finally started to show promise and was one of the surprise players in the second half of last season.

He's not a terrible player at all, but he's probably not a big loss. He's almost guaranteed to not be here after this year, no matter what happens to him this year.

Agreed. If we waive him and nobody picks him up, okay, whatever. We can bounce him back and forth. But I'm definitely waiving him just to see if there are any takers. With only a 750k base salary in actual cash, I think a bad team in need of veteran warm bodies could pluck him. He's not a long term answer, there should be no fear with regards to losing him and opening that cap space for the year isn't a small thing if we happen to be competing for a playoff spot.

Killing Joke

Dec 2, 2017
62AE56AC-B807-49CF-A3BF-52006018690B.png

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm still not sold on goaltending. Sorry, one game in the preseason against a pretty weak lineup with a lot of non-NHL caliber players isn't enough to get me to believe. And that's only just a disclaimer for my point, I'm not looking to shit on him he played a great game.

But other than goaltending, I'm not sold on Ruff. I don't like that he's back. I can't really take him coming back seriously and I do think we're close to seeing Brunette take over.

And I know I played this game a lot last year (''Ruff will be gone by Christmas!'' ''Ruff will be gone by New Years!'' ''Ruff will be gone by January 13th!'' ''Okay, Ruff is probably here the rest of the season, but will be fired no later than a few days after the season ends!'', but I wouldn't continue playing this game anymore if Andrew Brunette were not one of the assistants brought in.

Reactions: Dylan9z9

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
I'm still not sold on goaltending. Sorry, one game in the preseason against a pretty weak lineup with a lot of non-NHL caliber players isn't enough to get me to believe. And that's only just a disclaimer for my point, I'm not looking to shit on him he played a great game.

But other than goaltending, I'm not sold on Ruff. I don't like that he's back. I can't really take him coming back seriously and I do think we're close to seeing Brunette take over.

And I know I played this game a lot last year (''Ruff will be gone by Christmas!'' ''Ruff will be gone by New Years!'' ''Ruff will be gone by January 13th!'' ''Okay, Ruff is probably here the rest of the season, but will be fired no later than a few days after the season ends!'', but I wouldn't continue playing this game anymore if Andrew Brunette were not one of the assistants brought in.

huh? Panarin goal happens on any goalie with that kind of defense. Other goal was off 2 deflections.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Walsh, Hickey, Pinho, GEERTSEN, Gambardella, Senyshyn, Stillman, THROW THE BUMS OUT! Like, tomorrow.

This is exactly what you would expect. The guys that are good played really good (other than Bratt), the bums played exactly like bums. The guys that are NHL caliber played a bit better than the bums, but still not good.

Boqvist did himself no favors.

Reactions: Saint Beaurivage

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Palat Hughes Holz
Rango Nico Bratt
Tatar Haula Mercer
Wood McLeod Bastian
Zetterlund Boqvist

Graves Hamilton
Siegs Sevs
Smith Marino
Bahl

Mb29
Vanacek

Everyone else thru waivers if they must.

Okhotyuk first call up on D. Thompson on O.

If Nico starts year on IL we sadly keep Geersten or Johnsson bc Thompson is hurt and Foote etc didn't show enough.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
huh? Panarin goal happens on any goalie with that kind of defense. Other goal was off 2 deflections.
The Panarin goal was definitely a stoppable one, but it was the one good player the Rangers actually iced tonight.

And uhh, this comment about me not being sold on goaltending has NOTHING to do with tonight's game, but more like Blackwood's last 55 regular season games, but okay.

Not sure what your point is.

Reactions: Homedresser

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Palat Hughes Holz
Rango Nico Bratt
Tatar Haula Mercer
Wood McLeod Bastian
Zetterlund Boqvist

Graves Hamilton
Siegs Sevs
Smith Marino
Bahl

Mb29
Vanacek

If Nico starts year on IL we sadly keep Geersten or Johnsson bc Thompson is hurt and Foote etc didn't show enough.

No, no, no, no, no. Do not pair those 2 ever again.

The Panarin goal was definitely a stoppable one, but it was the one good player the Rangers actually iced tonight.

And uhh, this comment about me not being sold on goaltending has NOTHING to do with tonight's game, but more like Blackwood's last 55 regular season games, but okay.

Not sure what your point is.

Then why is it in the game thread :huh:My point is, this game would be 10-1 loss if it was last season. Goaltending is much improved compared to last season so far.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
No, no, no, no, no. Do not pair those 2 ever again.

Then why is it in the game thread :huh:
Because I'm discussing my issues with the team as currently is. I was making a statement about my issues with the team currently, which there aren't many, but those are two pretty big ones. A lot of people are making comments that aren't just about this game.

And the things that I'm not sold on are goaltending (which had nothing to do with this game) and the head coach, which also really had nothing to do with this game either, but both have a lot to do with the last two seasons results.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Hickey is for the AHL and has been for years now, which is where he's played for the better part of the last 3 years before this.

Senyshyn has the dubious distinction of being the first real big bust of the 2015 draft. I don't see anybody picked in front of him that have been nearly as underwhelming. Zboril (picked right before him, also by the Bruins) is close, but no Zdeno Ciger.

I don't think these guys were ever brought in on PTO's for anything other than the AHL though.

Reactions: nugg

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Palat Hughes Holz
Rango Nico Bratt
Tatar Haula Mercer
Wood McLeod Bastian
Zetterlund Boqvist

Graves Hamilton
Siegs Sevs
Smith Marino
Bahl

Mb29
Vanacek

Honestly, right now, for me:

Palat Hughes Holtz
Rango Nico Bratto
Wood Haula Mercer
Zetterlund McLeod Bastian
extras: Tatar, Boqvist

Graves Hamilton
Sieges Severson
Smith/Bahl Marino
Extra: Smith/Bahl

Blackwood & Vanacek

First callups: Thompson, Halonen; Okhotiuk