Will Jake play game 1?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
could have left the pens 3 seasons ago and left them better off.
The cap space he takes up, and the prime ice time he squanders
PK, powerplay, top six five on five....yikes
Go look at his new contract thread and see who called this at the time.. actually a couple of seasons before that as well.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Noel Acciari is the fourth line center. White, if he makes the team, would play on the wing.
Acciari hasn't impressed me one bit and we gave him THAT contract? Not sure that was money well spent, fortunately the games haven't counted yet but he's been a nothing burger.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
You know what would be sick? If DOC went on a bit of a tear to start the season. It would open up so many other options and we could potentially ice 3 offensive lines with some rearranging.
IMO that would be the best formula in achieving success for this team. I'm not sure who should drop, maybe Rust, but spreading it out would be the way to go IF IF IF DOC does indeed take a sizable step forward.

Reactions: canadianguy77

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Acciari is a proven, good bottom six player.
Well, again in the games I've seen him here in the preseason I'm not impressed in the least. That doesn't mean he won't be good for us, but there's not one facet of his game that jumps off the page at me. He seems very vanilla and unremarkable. And we gave him I think a 3-year 6 million dollar contract?

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I'm glad to see my prediction of DOC being a breakout player for us might come true. *pats self on back*

Really though he looks good. I expect 15 goals and strong forechecking from him this year.

Reactions: SEALBound

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
Leave it to Sullivan to play a guy who was signed for his forechecking ability as a centre. It makes perfect sense. If you can’t trust Carter to be responsible as a centreman, then just sit him. Putting Acciari as a centre defeats his purpose.

Reactions: The Old Master

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Well, again in the games I've seen him here in the preseason I'm not impressed in the least. That doesn't mean he won't be good for us, but there's not one facet of his game that jumps off the page at me. He seems very vanilla and unremarkable. And we gave him I think a 3-year 6 million dollar contract?

Why would Acciari be playing his game in the pre-season? His roster spot is guaranteed.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I hope Guentzel does not play game 1 and takes 1 or 2 regular season games off.

I want him starting 100%

I could see him in on October 13th or 14th during the b2b though.
Could really use his help vs Calgary. Tired Penguins vs rested Flames.
In the last 4 matchups we've only scored 4 goals, and conceded 11. Only beat them once, due to a Jarry carry, requiring a shootout.
Perhaps it'll be easier to score on them now, with Sutter gone.

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
His game is supposed to be something of a physical game (at least compared to the other Penguins players), and the preseason isn't really the time to be especially physical. Give him a few games in the regular season; I think he'll look a lot less vanilla then.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
both L1 and L2 did not even try in our zone, scratch this its preseason, but I have a suspicious feeling that will plague us all season long...

Reactions: Andy99

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
That was Benson's 7th point of the pre-season.
he wouldn't have that playing with wbs scrubs instead of good nhl'ers. like sully's done with our kids.

both L1 and L2 did not even try in our zone, scratch this its preseason, but I have a suspicious feeling that will plague us all season long...
yeah, that carried all the into April last year

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
We’ll be relying on our goalie, per usual, to make some big saves..so glad we resigned Jarry to be that guy because he has a proven track record of being that guy…oh wait, scratch that…

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
His game is supposed to be something of a physical game (at least compared to the other Penguins players), and the preseason isn't really the time to be especially physical. Give him a few games in the regular season; I think he'll look a lot less vanilla then.
Yep, I thought he was gonna be a bit more physical, lets hope we see more elements like that moving forward.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
This game was more open and sully acknowledged that was just a good game that had more "events' than normal. Pens will game plan and the D tighten up once the season begins. One thing is DOC brings more of the flexibility on LW for Sid. Younger bigger faster and cheaper is a better alternative than a 8 million per year for 8 AAV that Jake will command. Pens have cap room to sign Jake but you have to wonder if it makes sense to spread that cap room around more for better RD, better 4th line next year. Need a RH RW for 4th line. Someone will emerge for 4th line from the guys they have this year. I really think it is a better line up with size and speed than an expensive LW who will decline once Sid is gone. Smith on LW plays the type of game that fits Malkin and he does bring those elements that Pens have not had enough of.
DOC Sid Rakell
Smith Geno Rust
Nieto Ellers Acciari
? Poulin ?

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Lot of ‘Harkins is super’. It’s obv more than stats but lot of hardons here For a guy who is completely mediocre.
I haven't noticed anyone with an erection for him :oops:.

I wouldn't read too much into preseason box charts lol. He was one of the higher rated players in the game on Wednesday FWIW.

The reaction to him has been positive because he's free, fast, and appears to be hardworking. Don't know what his offensive ceiling is, but he's scored above a ppg in the AHL so not completely without skill. Definitely visible out there and it seems like he's got an edge to his game, which is what you want out of your bottom 6.

Like others have said, if he can be Tanev-lite thats a W for a guy you got off waivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad