GDT: Preseason Game 7: Sabres vs. Penguins, 7 PM. MSG and NHL Network

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
This thread is a good reminder that I need to update my mute list.
Wait a week til after October 20. Be kind to trauma victims

Well let's state the obvious... Tage has yet to pull it all together.

Saw some flashes where he drove the net but he's not at the top of his game at all.

And it pulls the 1st line down.
Why would you want him to take risks in preseason? He looks healthy and fast

Reactions: beerme1

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
Sabres will be getting dumped on in goals against again
Another one? Preseason, run for the shelter of your mothers little helper, in fact take four more and have an open mind and be pleasantly surprised thru October. This game will help them prepare. Pitt has to worrl about us. Lets add some hitting and intensity before you all hang yourselves w prognostic drivel. I speak out of kindness. And disgust of the chicken little vibe after pitt took this a little to seriously

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
Team looks bored and more than ready for games that count.

Wow we actually got a real contributer in the last draft, thats rare and needed w Quinn

EJohnson is so good and smart he fit anywhere asked. Clifton's game will blossom once the hadcuffs are off for hitting everything.

All the board whipping boys have trained and
studied hard for when games count.

See ya wouldnt .... til the night before this starts. I don't belong, I only see positives. I was the only idiot that thought mcd and some new guy might be and uograde over. .. never mind

• Love
Reactions: beerme1

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
while the team is still in preseason mode
this forum is already in mid-season form :sarcasm:
cant deny the effort ;)

Reactions: joshjull

newfiejesus

Sep 19, 2016
Newfoundland
thats hilarious. if you are a player i hope you dont expect someone to break your leg if you aren't paying attention or expect not to get hit from what most likely is a lesser team , the you might end up sitting out a coup-le months
so uh yeah, good game last night. Lots to keep an eye on behind and on our own blue line.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
Not really sure how much you can take from a game like that. Wasn't a fan of some of the goals Levi gave up, but I'd figure he'd have off games just because he is so young. Lets just hope they are few and far between.

Reactions: TheDawnOfANewTage

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Not really sure how much you can take from a game like that. Wasn't a fan of some of the goals Levi gave up, but I'd figure he'd have off games just because he is so young. Lets just hope they are few and far between.

Slightly worrying that we just can never dial up the defense, but eh, preseason. I’ll freak out the first time it happens when it counts.

Edit- I’m watching the replay, and every now and then Tuch goes real dumb. Giveaway followed by contributing to the Pen sliding into Levi at 15 mph is a move.

Last edited:

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
UPL hasn't outright lost his job after this outing from Levi
Levi looks worse, even like he lacks confidence in what he is doing. I know all players work on things during the offseason, but is Buffalo's goalie problem......a goalie coaching problem?

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
Ya know. We all have to believe we are going to stomp asz collectively so these kids don't have to overcome us whining in the past as well. C'mon it's alright.
You're rollin', fool! I'm with ya! :nod:

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Wait a week til after October 20. Be kind to trauma victims

Why would you want him to take risks in preseason? He looks healthy and fast
Ha, ha, ha...... don't take risks? It's a risk every time you step out on the ice. And you are being paid millions to play.

So why are you out there if you are going to give only 80% game and take no risks?

You play YOUR game to the best of your ability no matter the situation. In pre-season, it actually helps you to hone and refine and re establish your dominance over the play and game.

If I'm a coach and you are a player that isn't going to try their most every shift, I don't want you on my team.

C'mon. You are way way smarter and hockey aware than your current comment.....

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Ha, ha, ha...... don't take risks? It's a risk every time you step out on the ice. And you are being paid millions to play.

So why are you out there if you are going to give only 80% game and take no risks?

You play YOUR game to the best of your ability no matter the situation. In pre-season, it actually helps you to hone and refine and re establish your dominance over the play and game.

If I'm a coach and you are a player that isn't going to try their most every shift, I don't want you on my team.

C'mon. You are way way smarter and hockey aware than your current comment.....
C'mon now, this isn't a very realistic stance.

We know vets league-wide don't go 100% in preseason. This isn't something new. We also know teams don't implement many of their in-game tactics during the preseason either. They also hold players out longer for the slightest tweak or bruise. They accommodate all sorts of things that would never happen during the regular season. Hell, we even let Clifton dictate when the dressed. He only wanted to go in with his regular practice partner. He felt it would help him get more comfortable transitioning into the line-up.

Last edited:

BuffaloMango

Mar 14, 2023
If we have another blown year due to goaltending...

I think blaming goaltending is overly simplistic.

Don’t get me wrong, our goaltenders need to be better. But we have systemic issues with defensive philosophy, coaching (we can’t even seem to tie anybody up in front of the net), and defensive personnel.

I thought for sure we would have added 1 maybe even 2 defenders, plus a goalie, and one new assistant coach this offseason.

The sky isn’t falling. But after not upgrading any of those things and having a very flat preseason I find myself more worried than I thought I’d be heading into the season.

Reactions: Chainshot

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I think blaming goaltending is overly simplistic.

Don’t get me wrong, our goaltenders need to be better. But we have systemic issues with defensive philosophy, coaching (we can’t even seem to tie anybody up in front of the net), and defensive personnel.

My mindset is this:

To be a legitimate playoff contender, we need either better goaltending OR better defensive play across the board.

To be a legitimate playoff threat, we need better goaltending AND better defensive play across the board.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Levi let in a couple softies, Benson couldn't tie up Carter (not that he should be able to), and Clifton was wandering away from his guy for no apparent reason on a couple others.

I'm not actually sure about keeping Levi up right now.

Benson seems to be the best option at FW even if he might be worn down after a couple months.

Clifton is not a top-pair guy and is a bad partner for Dahlin. I really hope that doesn't happen.

Can Savoie be out on IR for now?

Reactions: Fjordy

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I think it's WAY too early to say that Clifton is a bad partner for Dahlin. They've had all of 2 preseason games together.

And yes, we can put Savoie on IR to keep him around for a bit.
It's not about the two pre-season games. Clifton has always been a little bit higher event D-man. He brings some physicality despite his size, hits people mostly in the right scenarios, but often gets out of position otherwise. He's not a stay-at-home, Samuelsson-esque player. I don't see how he makes a good partner for Dahlin and I can't recall anyone on this board calling for them to pair up since the signing.

Reactions: Fjordy

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
It's not about the two pre-season games. Clifton has always been a little bit higher event D-man. He brings some physicality despite his size, hits people mostly in the right scenarios, but often gets out of position otherwise. He's not a stay-at-home, Samuelsson-esque player. I don't see how he makes a good partner for Dahlin and I can't recall anyone on this board calling for them to pair up since the signing.

No one on this board was calling for moving Tage to center, and most thought it was a bad idea.

Let's see what happens when real play starts.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
was at this game. owen powers is in mid-season form already (meaning, he is bad/should of drafted beniers).

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
He's probably more of a stay-at-home guy than Samuelsson. In theory Clitfton should allow Dahlin to defend more aggressively rather than being the more passive defender on the pairing like he is with Samuelsson but it's a new setup and we'll see if they'll work it out.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
He's probably more of a stay-at-home guy than Samuelsson. In theory Clitfton should allow Dahlin to defend more aggressively rather than being the more passive defender on the pairing like he is with Samuelsson but it's a new setup and we'll see if they'll work it out.
Well I hope that maybe I've seen a slanted sample size of his play (mostly last playoffs).

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: