GDT: Preseason Game 7: Coyotes @ Canucks - 7PM - It's the End of the Preseason And I Feel Fine

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I've been pretty impressed with Hinostroza. He was missing a bit of finish during preseason, but the dude works his ass off every shift and he's super fast. Hopefully he breaks out during the season, because he could put up some serious points.
Like Korpi and Reider? His stats from last year look promising, so let's keep our fingers crossed.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Just from what I've seen this preseason, he doesn't look like he wants to be here and the coaching staff doesn't look committed to him at all. At this point, I think it's better for everyone if he's traded. I won't be surprised if he turns out to be Turris 2.0 but it doesn't look like anyone cares if he succeeds here.
I'm a big Strome supporter, but he has to play better than what he has shown, but RT didn't do him any favors. I have said for a long time Strome will be traded sooner than later.

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
Play Strome on the 3rd or 4th line at center or on the wing. Give him 2nd PP time. If things get better move him up. If they don’t keep him there until you can trade him.

At this point it’s a big draft miss. Maybe it wont be a disaster.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Dvorak has looked better than Strome in every facet of hockey. Why would you push him down the lineup just to make it easier for Strome when he hasn't shown to be nearly as good of a player?

He isn't good enough to take a top 3C spot, it is what it is.

Because Dvorak can be an effective player down the lineup. Strome can't.

I still don't believe our coaching staff is giving him a fair chance yet.

gorsk11

Logan Cooley for the win.
Jun 25, 2008
AZ
Just finished watching the game. Fischer looks much faster. Excited to watch him. He may be the surprise of the season.
Stepan looks like he is in much better shape also. Keller is so good. I liked the line with Stepan, Fischer and Panik.
At some point Panik might need to be dropped down.

Richardson had a good game. He works hard. Crouse has a good backhand shot. Hinstoza and Grabner were good pickups.
Thought Oesterle looked good.
Strome looked fine in the face off dot. He mishandled a few plays but made some nice passes.

The power play looks so much better than last year. Even though we didn't score of the 5-3, I thought it looked much better.

Reactions: Name Nameless

DollarAndADream

Feb 27, 2012
What's up with Boeser? He was completely invisible.
Been like that all preseason.

He had surgery on his wrist over the summer, as well as recovering from the back injury at the end of last season. There is definitely some merit in a little bit of panic, but he's been getting his chances. I fully expect him to turn it on again once he gets a goal. His lines have been pretty good, but the majority of our team other than Horvat and Pettersson have mostly been invisible, so there's that.

Reactions: Muppet

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I thought Strome was fine last night. His style of play is so out of sync with the rest of the team though. Can/will Tocchet adjust lines to help him succeed?
I don't understand what you mean. If he looked fine, how can he be out of sync with the rest of the team?

Reactions: Price is Wright

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Been like that all preseason.

He had surgery on his wrist over the summer, as well as recovering from the back injury at the end of last season. There is definitely some merit in a little bit of panic, but he's been getting his chances. I fully expect him to turn it on again once he gets a goal. His lines have been pretty good, but the majority of our team other than Horvat and Pettersson have mostly been invisible, so there's that.
Hope he didn't do the all upper body off season to add strength. Could be a Peter Mueller situation.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
We basically schooled the Nucks last night, would have liked to see us capitalize on a few more opportunities and have kept our foot on the gas better, but good showing overall.

Strome is fine, he's found himself in a situation with more competition than any rational Coyote fan would have ever thought possible though.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Fischer looks like a totally different player. He is significantly quicker.

It's his first couple-three strides. He doesn't take time to get going anymore. 1-2-3 boom he's off.

I don't know about you guys but Keller looks freaking spectacular at center.

The thing about Keller at C and our seemingly no longer crap power play is I'm not sure it's going to hold when the regular season starts and players are fighting for every inch most nights. Especially with the power play, usually the penalty killers are much more aggressive than what was shown last night. Aggressive PKs have always caused us problems.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I think our PP is going to be something special this season, especially when chucky is back. You can't guard all 3 spots on the ice and we've got OEL, Chucky & Keller in those 3 spots. I sure this will be the first year where we're in the top 10. That's my 1 takeaway from the preseason.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I think our PP is going to be something special this season, especially when chucky is back. You can't guard all 3 spots on the ice and we've got OEL, Chucky & Keller in those 3 spots. I sure this will be the first year where we're in the top 10. That's my 1 takeaway from the preseason.

It has been a while now, but in 14-15 we were top 10. OEL and Yandle on the same PP.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I thought Strome did well with the lousy opportunities he was afforded.

Preseason is an ideal time to throw out your mercurial playmaking center prospect on the PP but Tocchet can't be bothered.

I figure he's gone.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Preseason is an ideal time to throw out your mercurial playmaking center prospect on the PP but Tocchet can't be bothered.

I figure he's gone.
I would agree. It’s clear Tocchet is not a believer. I don’t think Chayka is either. It’s funny, Chayka is known as a new-think, disrupt the NHL, maverick youngster. He’s not that at all. He’s actually an extremely old school, there’s only one right way kind of guy. He’s much, much, much more Philip Seymour Hoffman than he is Brad Pitt or Jonah Hill from Moneyball.

The Athletic article that highlighted how Strome has adapted his game to the NHL and how he can be effective despite short comings, as long as he has a bit of a different approach.

No room for that here. Everything has to be pure vanilla. There’s only one approach. Only one right way.

What do you expect from a complete and total goober like Chayka. Guy doesn’t even like food. Any creep who thinks food is fuel and indulges no vices, I have absolutely no trust in.

His approach seems similar to Brian Burke to me. He just uses very trendy business buzzwords to describe things. So people think he’s cutting edge and innovative. Premium Person doesn’t actually mean anything. It’s no different than the infamous Tippism “He’s a good guy”.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
If Strome really was a Maloney guy and not a Chayka guy, I wonder if Strome to Calgary for Bennett makes sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad