GDT: Preseason Game 7: Coyotes @ Canucks - 7PM - It's the End of the Preseason And I Feel Fine

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
I was just about to say, it's working out a lot better than I thought it would. If he dominates at C until Dvo and Chucky are back, there will be some very interesting decisions to make.

I don't think it'll be that much of a controversy. I'm only going by public comments by players and management, but I don't think Keller personally cares if he plays wing or center. Personally, I think he's so talented that he can thrive at all three forward positions, myself. At the end of the day, having so many players who are good at center that you have to shift some of them to wing, but those players also effective on the wing, is a good problem to have.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I don't think it'll be that much of a controversy. I'm only going by public comments by players and management, but I don't think Keller personally cares if he plays wing or center. Personally, I think he's so talented that he can thrive at all three forward positions, myself. At the end of the day, having so many players who are good at center that you have to shift some of them to wing, but those players also effective on the wing, is a good problem to have.

I can see him playing as the 2C until Chucky returns and then he’ll go back up with Step and Dick. :naughty:

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
I can see him playing as the 2C until Chucky returns and then he’ll go back up with Step and Dick. :naughty:

This is most likely. Plus, if Chucky fails at center, you can always move Keller back there and put Chucky on his wing, which sounds pretty f***ing good anyway. Keller setting up Galchenyuk's one-timer all day? Yes please.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida

I'd be okay with that. The question is going to be where the other guys all go to compensate for the lineup shift. Stepan as our 1C and Galchenyuk as our 2C once that happens is something that sounds fine to me though. The Panik-Stepan-Keller line was really good last season and I'd love to see it back as our top line, but who takes over 1RW to cover for Keller at 2C? Where does he go once Galchenyuk comes back to allow that shift? Who is it in the first place? I wouldn't mind it being Hinostroza, myself. Fischer could do it too, I think.

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
Panik - Stepan - Keller
Fischer - Galchenyuk- Hinostrosa
Perlini - Dvorak - Grabner
Crouse - Richardson/Strome - Cousins

Perlini, Hino, Fish are all fairly interchangeable, depending on form.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
You would rather bump Perlini up there right now? And kick one of those two down to the third??

Yes I wouldn't play both RHS forwards on the same line and have 3 other lines with no RHS. That just doesn't make sense. With the distribution of talent we have, it's easy to play them both at their natural position.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Panik - Stepan - Keller
Fischer - Galchenyuk- Hinostrosa
Perlini - Dvorak - Grabner
Crouse - Richardson/Strome - Cousins

Perlini, Hino, Fish are all fairly interchangeable, depending on form.

I'd switch Dvorak and Strome and have Richardson in the press box, ideally. The problem is that Richardson is the guy I'd want on the dot late in the game in key faceoff situations though. Strome won't succeed passing to Crouse and Cousins. I was disappointed with him tonight, which makes me sad. I'm rooting really hard for the guy, because he's ours, but his play tonight didn't instill much confidence. It would be one thing if he demonstrated playmaking ability but the chance creation ended up in nothing because of his linemates being unable to finish, but he didn't even do that. It's not the worst problem to have, but it's still a problem.

Edit: in other words, Strome cannot and will not succeed on a "classical" 4th line. Dvorak can, but then we'd be paying an exorbitant amount of money to someone to play 4C. Dvorak's a better player, but if we're talking purely the 4C spot (assuming we're icing a traditional fourth line), I'd rather have Richardson because he's much cheaper. Again though, it's not the worst situation to be in.

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
I've been pretty impressed with Hinostroza. He was missing a bit of finish during preseason, but the dude works his ass off every shift and he's super fast. Hopefully he breaks out during the season, because he could put up some serious points.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
I've been pretty impressed with Hinostroza. He was missing a bit of finish during preseason, but the dude works his ass off every shift and he's super fast. Hopefully he breaks out during the season, because he could put up some serious points.

He's definitely one of our underrated acquisitions of the off season, I think. Hopefully he can retain better shooting accuracy and not become Tobias Rieder 2.0 though.

Reactions: Muppet

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
Edit: in other words, Strome cannot and will not succeed on a "classical" 4th line. Dvorak can, but then we'd be paying an exorbitant amount of money to someone to play 4C. Dvorak's a better player, but if we're talking purely the 4C spot (assuming we're icing a traditional fourth line), I'd rather have Richardson because he's much cheaper. Again though, it's not the worst situation to be in.

Oh I think Strome's f***ed regardless. Dvo 3C and Richardson 4C is absolutely ideal. There's zero point in playing Strome on the wing, and with Keller looking good at C, he's pretty much Galchenyuk's fall back option if it fails. Dylan would have to somehow dominate while Dvo and Chucky are out, to have any chance at saving his career in Arizona. I just don't see it happening.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
The pp looks remarkably better. Had Keller or stroza connected on those one time half wall set ups, likely would have had another goal.

Much more structured. I like it.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
I'd switch Dvorak and Strome and have Richardson in the press box, ideally. The problem is that Richardson is the guy I'd want on the dot late in the game in key faceoff situations though. Strome won't succeed passing to Crouse and Cousins. I was disappointed with him tonight, which makes me sad. I'm rooting really hard for the guy, because he's ours, but his play tonight didn't instill much confidence. It would be one thing if he demonstrated playmaking ability but the chance creation ended up in nothing because of his linemates being unable to finish, but he didn't even do that. It's not the worst problem to have, but it's still a problem.

Dvorak has looked better than Strome in every facet of hockey. Why would you push him down the lineup just to make it easier for Strome when he hasn't shown to be nearly as good of a player?

He isn't good enough to take a top 3C spot, it is what it is.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I am tempered in my optimism with the recent memory of how well the Cardinals defense played during the preseason.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Oh I think Strome's ****ed regardless. Dvo 3C and Richardson 4C is absolutely ideal. There's zero point in playing Strome on the wing, and with Keller looking good at C, he's pretty much Galchenyuk's fall back option if it fails. Dylan would have to somehow dominate while Dvo and Chucky are out, to have any chance at saving his career in Arizona. I just don't see it happening.

Just from what I've seen this preseason, he doesn't look like he wants to be here and the coaching staff doesn't look committed to him at all. At this point, I think it's better for everyone if he's traded. I won't be surprised if he turns out to be Turris 2.0 but it doesn't look like anyone cares if he succeeds here.

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
Just from what I've seen this preseason, he doesn't look like he wants to be here and the coaching staff doesn't look committed to him at all. At this point, I think it's better for everyone if he's traded. I won't be surprised if he turns out to be Turris 2.0 but it doesn't look like anyone cares if he succeeds here.

Yeah I agree, he'll be gone soon. We won't get much for him, obviously, but it's better to give him a fresh start somewhere else. Maybe send him to the East, juuuust in case he turns it around :laugh:

Reactions: RemoAZ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad