GDT: Preseason Game 7: Coyotes @ Canucks - 7PM - It's the End of the Preseason And I Feel Fine

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
I would agree. It’s clear Tocchet is not a believer. I don’t think Chayka is either. It’s funny, Chayka is known as a new-think, disrupt the NHL, maverick youngster. He’s not that at all. He’s actually an extremely old school, there’s only one right way kind of guy. He’s much, much, much more Philip Seymour Hoffman than he is Brad Pitt or Jonah Hill from Moneyball.

The Athletic article that highlighted how Strome has adapted his game to the NHL and how he can be effective despite short comings, as long as he has a bit of a different approach.

No room for that here. Everything has to be pure vanilla. There’s only one approach. Only one right way.

What do you expect from a complete and total goober like Chayka. Guy doesn’t even like food. Any creep who thinks food is fuel and indulges no vices, I have absolutely no trust in.

His approach seems similar to Brian Burke to me. He just uses very trendy business buzzwords to describe things. So people think he’s cutting edge and innovative. Premium Person doesn’t actually mean anything. It’s no different than the infamous Tippism “He’s a good guy”.

Yup, it's everyone else that is wrong and not the player that simply isn't good enough. The organization should bend over backwards for him and his slow release, slow reaction, weak skating, poor board work, and lack of anticipation. Two regimes have come through now and neither seemed very fond of him.

I get it, we're fans so we have to stand by our once high hopes for a prospect until the end, but at some point it is up to the player to actually get a spot. Strome hasn't looked great in a single game, just passable. The fact we are all thinking of ways to try and make it work for Strome, putting our better players with him, kicking a better player down just so Strome can have it easier, etc. is proof enough he isn't the player we thought he was going to be.

Reactions: SR

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Yup, it's everyone else that is wrong and not the player that simply isn't good enough. The organization should bend over backwards for him and his slow release, slow reaction, weak skating, poor board work, and lack of anticipation. Two regimes have come through now and neither seemed very fond him him.

I get it, we're fans so we have to stand by our once high hopes for a prospect until the end, but at some point it is up to the player to actually get a spot. Strome hasn't looked great in a single game, just passable. The fact we are all thinking of ways to try and make it work for Strome, putting our better players with him, kicking a better player down just so Strome can have it easier, etc. is proof enough he isn't the player we thought he was going to be.
We’ll see how things go when Strome is elsewhere.

Also, I should have taken more time with my last post. I’m not actually saying Chayka is wrong or that it won’t work.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I don't understand what you mean. If he looked fine, how can he be out of sync with the rest of the team?
He looked fine as in he was involved in the play, generated a few opportunities, back-checked, skating did not look as laboured as in past years.

Out of sync as in Strome plays a slow, cerebral game. Tocchet has the team playing a fast North-South game with quick transitions. Also, as others pointed out, Tocchet did him no favours with his linemates for the most part.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Strome is the most unimpressive athlete I've ever seen. He has the body of an office worker

glpK9NY.png

Reactions: RemoAZ

rt

May 13, 2004
Chayka at least appears early on like he has done reasonably well so far when cutting bait. Unless Domi totally breaks out or Galchenyuk totally busts, Chayka has done pretty well when removes a piece. he doesn’t quite like the fit of.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Preseason is an ideal time to throw out your mercurial playmaking center prospect on the PP but Tocchet can't be bothered.

I figure he's gone.

I would agree. It’s clear Tocchet is not a believer. I don’t think Chayka is either. It’s funny, Chayka is known as a new-think, disrupt the NHL, maverick youngster. He’s not that at all. He’s actually an extremely old school, there’s only one right way kind of guy. He’s much, much, much more Philip Seymour Hoffman than he is Brad Pitt or Jonah Hill from Moneyball.

The Athletic article that highlighted how Strome has adapted his game to the NHL and how he can be effective despite short comings, as long as he has a bit of a different approach.

No room for that here. Everything has to be pure vanilla. There’s only one approach. Only one right way.

What do you expect from a complete and total goober like Chayka. Guy doesn’t even like food. Any creep who thinks food is fuel and indulges no vices, I have absolutely no trust in.

His approach seems similar to Brian Burke to me. He just uses very trendy business buzzwords to describe things. So people think he’s cutting edge and innovative. Premium Person doesn’t actually mean anything. It’s no different than the infamous Tippism “He’s a good guy”.

I have said for a long time Strome is a goner and if this team does not contend for a playoff spot Chayka could be gone and everyone flamed me. Funny thing is, most have liked what he has done off ice, but it has not translated on ice. I do believe that we should contend for a playoff spot this year depending on injuries.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

Fuel, real food, is the fundamental corner stone of health and very important to athletic performance especially at this level. If you are an athlete that doesn't embrace this concept and strategy, you are selling yourself and maybe career short.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Yup, it's everyone else that is wrong and not the player that simply isn't good enough. The organization should bend over backwards for him and his slow release, slow reaction, weak skating, poor board work, and lack of anticipation. Two regimes have come through now and neither seemed very fond of him.

There is no doubt that Strome has to be better and much of the blame has to be on his shoulders, but you have to give him a chance to succeed to determine if he will make it or not and RT has NOT done that. The way Strome thinks the game you have to put him with players that can score, not a grinder etc. I disagree totally with you about Strome's lack of anticipation as I think that is one of his strength's. His reaction time and skating has much improved and would not hold him back to become a NHL player. His board work is much to be desired, but so do other players on this team. I believe RT's mind was already made regarding Strome before training camp.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
What does “contend for a playoff spot” mean? That’s very open to interpretation and later revision.
To be in playoff contention entering the last week or two of the year.

DollarAndADream

Feb 27, 2012
Hope he didn't do the all upper body off season to add strength. Could be a Peter Mueller situation.
Boeser actually did just that. It's hard to really judge how much it will affect him this point. He gained like 10lbs of muscle, but at the same time the raw talent is still clearly there. In all of his wrist shot drills and when he played in that Da Beauty League in the off-season, his shot was clearly still there if not better.

Canucks are likely to be quite the bottom feeder this season though unless they start scoring.

All that being said, I'm excited for the Coyotes this season. I'm really curious how Galchy will do this season, as well how much better Keller will be.
I don't want to bring too much Brock Boeser talk into a Coyotes thread. :P

Reactions: Sthlmyote

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I read that Strome is a goner, that Chayka might be a goner. I'm not sold on Tocchet. I'll give him last season as a Mulligan because he lost his goaltender early. If the Coyotes fall apart again this year its on him. I see him as rather rigid, expecting all players to play in his system even though he hasn't had players who were a good fit. Now with Galchenyuk, Hinostroza and Grabner, he has those fast, North-South players. The season is on Tocchet's shoulders.

rt

May 13, 2004
I read that Strome is a goner, that Chayka might be a goner. I'm not sold on Tocchet. I'll give him last season as a Mulligan because he lost his goaltender early. If the Coyotes fall apart again this year its on him. I see him as rather rigid, expecting all players to play in his system even though he hasn't had players who were a good fit. Now with Galchenyuk, Hinostroza and Grabner, he has those fast, North-South players. The season is on Tocchet's shoulders.
You mean Jake’s post?

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I haven't read even a hint that anyone in management is in the hot seat.

I don't think they are. I agree with you there's a scenario (really bad start part 2 electric boogaloo) where Tocchet could get canned. But otherwise I don't think either one is going anywhere even if they disappoint this season.

Reactions: kbay

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don't think they are. I agree with you there's a scenario (really bad start part 2 electric boogaloo) where Tocchet could get canned. But otherwise I don't think either one is going anywhere even if they disappoint this season.
What do you mean by "disappoint"? 70 pts. like last year, 91 pts. but miss the playoffs?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Sorry, I was unclear. I read (present tense) on this thread, ....

I was responding to Jake's post. I haven't read even a hint that anyone in management is in the hot seat. For that matter, I haven't read that Strome is trade bait either.
You won't hear anything now because the season has not started yet. I hope the team finally takes that next big step. AB can not afford this team to miss the playoffs this year. We need that extra money that the playoffs bring.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
AB can not afford

He also can't afford to fire people just to send a message.

What do you mean by "disappoint"? 70 pts. like last year, 91 pts. but miss the playoffs?

I don't think the point total matters all that much short of having an all time bad season. If they do the same thing and have the season over by October 30th is the only way I think anyone is getting fired. Even then there's a good chance not. The excuses are built in. No centers.

Even then we'd just end up with MacLean being the coach or something.

These are things I'm not necessarily against, but it's the reality of this team for now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad