GDT: Preseason Game 6: Pens vs. Sabres @ 4:00 EST (AT&T Sports) Kids Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Like 99% of the defensemen that play offensive games like Letang.

There is a reason players like Piets and Doughty while better overall D are usually in the 40-50 pt range.
Stylistically I've always preferred the all around defenders to the more prolific but heavier leaning offensive rearguards. I've always had more regard for guys like Scott Stevens, Larry Murphy, Lidstrom, Potvin and Robinson to the Leetches or Coffeys of the world. An all around guy IMO is the far better option out of the two.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Stylistically I've always preferred the all around defenders to the more prolific but heavier leaning offensive rearguards. I've always had more regard for guys like Scott Stevens, Larry Murphy, Lidstrom, Potvin and Robinson to the Leetches or Coffeys of the world. An all around guy IMO is the far better option out of the two.

In a slower league I agree. In today’s NHL, I can’t.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
In a slower league I agree. In today’s NHL, I can’t.
I think Lidstrom out of that list would be just fine in todays game. He was a good skater, very mobile and was so solid with his reads and positioning, he would flourish regardless. I think the others would as well (to a lesser extent) but Lidstrom in particular.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I think Lidstrom out of that list would be just fine in todays game. He was a good skater, very mobile and was so solid with his reads and positioning, he would flourish regardless. I think the others would as well (to a lesser extent) but Lidstrom in particular.

I think most of those D would be great today, but in terms of systematic play Letang is doing what an offensive D is expected to do today. People get mad that he is taking risks, but that’s what he should be doing.

Lidstrom is the best D I have ever seen so he was and would be great.

Reactions: Peat and EightyOne

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Like 99% of the defensemen that play offensive games like Letang.

There is a reason players like Piets and Doughty while better overall D are usually in the 40-50 pt range.

Of course. I didn't say Letang was alone with that. He is a high risk/high reward guy. He's almost never 'solid' he is either f***ing awesome or GAWT DAMN WTF LINE CHANGE. You just hope the f***ing awesome happens at like a 10:1 ratio.

And yeah, Lidstrom would be amazing still. Shit, he might even be more dominate in today's overall game.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I still remember when we had Zubov, one of the best russian players to play in this league - ever, and the Pens traded him because he held the puck longer than Lemieux liked and so they traded for the massive butt plug that was Kevin Hatcher.

I am still not over that.

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah, if Sullivan is big on pairs, I’d staple Simon and Bjugstad together. Tanev, Rust and Hornqvist would fill a similar role there regardless of the shuffling. I’m a little surprised Sullivan hasn’t pounced on putting a player he’s seemingly liked in the top 9.

Shiny new toy syndrome maybe? Kahun and Tanev have both got longer looks in the top 6 than was maybe expected and that's completely blocked out the existing kids.

Gotta say that while I'm happy he's exploring the new pairings early, if the play-offs started tomorrow I'd be vocal about shoving Simon/McCann/ZAR up the lines and Kahun and Tanev down. The latter might - might - be better players but the guys we've got have chemistry while the new kids might be struggling a little - and given the rate at which the guys we've got found chemistry, I'm not sure how many games into the RS I'll be sympathetic for.

It’s all about his health imo. He’s very good when he doesn’t run into injury trouble. Unfortunately, he’s had injury problems these last 2 seasons and if it happens again, he’ll probably struggle. If he can’t stay healthy, between him and Letang I think the top 2 RD and OFD being glaring injury risks is a major problem. Investing more money into him just makes the problem worse. Throw in Malkin and Murray and Hornqvist’s concussions and no more iron man Kessel.

Schultz RS GP totals in the last 3 seasons

16-17: 78
17-18: 63
18-19: 29
170/246, 69% and he missed 4 playoff games

Letang

16-17: 41
17-18: 79
18-19: 65
185/246, 75% and he missed an entire playoffs. 25 games. We all know his extensive history.

The player isn’t the problem. The injury situation and injury history on the team are. Also, I absolutely loathe how Sullivan has handled it. Schultz misses 6 (?) months to a leg injury and isn’t 100%. Plays him with ****ing JJ. Letang misses half a season to his neck injury and surgery, and his off season training was nothing for him. Plays him like nothing happened. And Murray sucking while playing injured was stupid too.

I agree but that doesn't seem to be the general tenor of the argument right now. Lots of people seem to be questioning whether he's worth his money as a player to begin with even when fit.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio

While I agree with your overall point I will say that watching Paul Coffey play hockey/skate in person is something I will never forget!!

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
JJ-Marino pairing had a good game. JJ actually looked fast out there which I can’t ever remember seeing him skate like that all last season. If scouts came to watch that game like reported then that was a nice outcome for the Pens.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I still remember when we had Zubov, one of the best russian players to play in this league - ever, and the Pens traded him because he held the puck longer than Lemieux liked and so they traded for the massive butt plug that was Kevin Hatcher.

I am still not over that.
it wasn't just Lemieux, and it wasn't that he held on to the puck. he just refused to shoot. and the more that complained, the more he refused. (and he had a very good shot) not happy with who the traded him for though.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Shiny new toy syndrome maybe? Kahun and Tanev have both got longer looks in the top 6 than was maybe expected and that's completely blocked out the existing kids.

Gotta say that while I'm happy he's exploring the new pairings early, if the play-offs started tomorrow I'd be vocal about shoving Simon/McCann/ZAR up the lines and Kahun and Tanev down. The latter might - might - be better players but the guys we've got have chemistry while the new kids might be struggling a little - and given the rate at which the guys we've got found chemistry, I'm not sure how many games into the RS I'll be sympathetic for.

Yeah, maybe it's shiny new toy syndrome and I think trying to start new players off on the best foot. The problem with chemistry is how Sullivan will react, which is either neurotically moving things around or stubbornly sticking to something that doesn't work.

I agree but that doesn't seem to be the general tenor of the argument right now. Lots of people seem to be questioning whether he's worth his money as a player to begin with even when fit.

And I think it's a stupid take. There's a limit to what you want to pay any player but fans of this team should damn well know what injuries can do to performance. If you don't want to pay another injury prone player who will play behind the king of random and terrible things happening to him then fine. That I get. To act like he's performed badly in good conditions isn't fair. If they're not paying Schultz, odds are they'll have to go out and find another D to pay in his place anyway.

Reactions: Peat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad