GDT: Preseason Game 6: Pens vs. Sabres @ 4:00 EST (AT&T Sports) Kids Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
He doesn’t have more “decisive” mistakes than your Burns or Karlssons. If anything he has less than those two.

The thing is that they don't watch them everyday so they think theyre perfect.

Letang is certainly a better overall Dman than those two... especially EK at this point.

Burns is the #1 bonehead. makes dumb plays all over the ice. but his positives waaaaay outweigh his negatives.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Malkin better pick it up before the start of the season after making management ship Kessel out of here for pennies on the dollar.
He told management to sort out the issue between Kessel and Sullivan and that he was being dragged into it and wanted no part of it, we got rid of Kessel which should have solved the problem.

Should have.

People still think Kessel was the problem.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The thing is that they don't watch them everyday so they think theyre perfect.

Letang is certainly a better overall Dman than those two... especially EK at this point.

Burns is the #1 bonehead. makes dumb plays all over the ice. but his positives waaaaay outweigh his negatives.
Kris Letang has been better than Burns and Karlsson defensively literally his entire career. The only knock people have on Letang is that he's not finishing top 3 for points for defensemen.

I would bet if he had a 75pt season this year, he'd win the norris. Because that's how that bastardized trophy works now. People will still not give him any respect because somehow it would only be because of Crosby and Malkin that he got to those numbers. Meanwhile, others that play with very good offensive talent are not helped by that talent at all.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
So, what you're all saying is....

elmos-nuke.jpg

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Letang's unique cuz he can look really dumb in some aspects of his game but still look great doing other stuff.
He's tough to compare to other top d.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
SHOULD be and WILL be our two different things. And if he continues to turn the puck over to the degree he has both this preseason and last season, I think those numbers change dramatically. Simply put he needs to manage the puck better. You're not gonna get away with that stuff in the long run. Keep in mind BUF didn't ice their best forwards this game. If it was Eichel out there he coughed up the puck to, well the result might not have been the same.
Correcting that aspect of his game is going to be a process. You can't just flip a switch and all of the bad habits go away. He and others are going to have to keep working throughout the season to gradually get smarter.

Last edited:

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Kris Letang has been better than Burns and Karlsson defensively literally his entire career. The only knock people have on Letang is that he's not finishing top 3 for points for defensemen.

I would bet if he had a 75pt season this year, he'd win the norris. Because that's how that bastardized trophy works now. People will still not give him any respect because somehow it would only be because of Crosby and Malkin that he got to those numbers. Meanwhile, others that play with very good offensive talent are not helped by that talent at all.

they dont really outscore Letang by that much.

Letang played harder mins than them last year, more Dzone starts, PK time. (per game)

Letang is a better #1 Two way Dman than Burns and EK when healthy, gets tasked to do more than those two.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
That aspect of his game is going to be a process. You can't just flip a switch and all of the bad habits go away. He and others are going to have to keep working throughout the season to gradually get smarter.
Here's hoping he does, but I can't say I'm overly confident he'll do so.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
That aspect of his game is going to be a process. You can't just flip a switch and all of the bad habits go away. He and others are going to have to keep working throughout the season to gradually get smarter.

I swear, the deal with the devil was: get 2 more championships, then, become stupid from GM on down. Because that is how it has been. Life long players suddenly have no idea how to position themselves out there etc etc.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
So, what you're all saying is....

elmos-nuke.jpg

The first 20 games will be interesting. I think guys like Tanev and Rust are just going to be the injection of tenacity that we need. Rusty, hopefully not injured, really finished preseason strong. Every shift he was doing that 2016 work where he was flying all around and you couldn't help but notice him. Tanev, IF USED CORRECTLY, is going to be the perfect little annoying shot of energy the lineup needed. And I really think Blueger is going to be such a strong 4C.

But then we get to the issues. That defense is still making a lot of mistakes. Kahun, ZAR, Simon, Bjugs really did not look inspired at all during preseason. McCann and Horny need to pick it up just a level.

And then we get to our stars. Father Time will eventually win another battle. I'm just hoping it's still 5 years away. :laugh: But each year the possibility of a slight decline has to be there. It just is what it is. That's how life works.

I wouldn't be shocked if we were .500 after 20 games. I wouldn't be shocked if we were first in the league. I wouldn't be shocked if it was an absolute shit show while they try to gain chemistry and dig through injuries. This year is very wide open.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The first 20 games will be interesting. I think guys like Tanev and Rust are just going to be the injection of tenacity that we need. Rusty, hopefully not injured, really finished preseason strong. Every shift he was doing that 2016 work where he was flying all around and you couldn't help but notice him. Tanev, IF USED CORRECTLY, is going to be the perfect little annoying shot of energy the lineup needed. And I really think Blueger is going to be such a strong 4C.

But then we get to the issues. That defense is still making a lot of mistakes. Kahun, ZAR, Simon, Bjugs really did not look inspired at all during preseason. McCann and Horny need to pick it up just a level.

And then we get to our stars. Father Time will eventually win another battle. I'm just hoping it's still 5 years away. :laugh: But each year the possibility of a slight decline has to be there. It just is what it is. That's how life works.

I wouldn't be shocked if we were .500 after 20 games. I wouldn't be shocked if we were first in the league. I wouldn't be shocked if it was an absolute **** show while they try to gain chemistry and dig through injuries. This year is very wide open.
I'd be 100% shocked if we were 1st in the league or even 2nd in our division to be honest. I wouldn't even guarantee this team 3rd in the division at this point. Does that mean I am a pessimist? Probably, honestly don't give a f*** what people think in that regard.

But I see the Capitals still being a beast and one of the other teams like Devils, even Rangers, or the Islanders being teams that probably out play our ass. People will blame JR not doing enough to add more players, people will ignore the actual underlying issues, injuries will give people an excuse for underperforming, our frustrated will look a lot like the Steelers thread by game 40.

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
I

But I see the Capitals still being a beast and one of the other teams like Devils, even Rangers, or the Islanders being teams that probably out play our ass.

That is the difference between being a spend to the cap, playoff team for over a decade and being able to have slight tank-years/good drafts and retooling etc.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Missed the game. Sucks Crosby and Rust got hurt, but that's to be expected as a Pens fan. We don't go gentle into that good night.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
That is the difference between being a spend to the cap, playoff team for over a decade and being able to have slight tank-years/good drafts and retooling etc.
I get that excuse for the Devils and Rags.

But the Isles beat us and they lost their star player recently. So there's that.

Reactions: EightyOne
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad