GDT: Preseason Game 6: Pens vs. Sabres @ 4:00 EST (AT&T Sports) Kids Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Just finished. Honestly I still stand by my in-game comments. I have MAJOR concerns on Letang/Geno. They look identical to last year. Extremely inconsistent. Preseason may not matter to them. Maybe that is it. But they looked bad.
Imagine saying "Letang looks identical to last year" as a bad thing. Dude could play like Bobby Orr and the second he turns over the puck this board would turn on him.

If Letang plays like he did last year - which was Norris calibre - we'll be in a good spot.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think he looked decent. Given what happened with Sid, I’m sure we are going to see him at 3C.

Didn’t watch tonight’s game after the 1st. So I assume he got brutalized?

Tbh I forgot he was the C for most of the game until after, which I guess is at least a partial compliment when subbing in for Sid. And the line had 80%+ possession stats for everything with him there, which is pretty gnarly. Was wondering if anyone who was higher on him as a C than me had noticed him doing good things.

I think people are making too big of a deal out of Malkin in the preseason. He had issues with controlling the puck today, but he and Galchenyuk were going globetrotters against the Jackets last week. Malkin finished the pre-season by far the Penguins best forward analytically and even dominated the Sabres today. I really don't see a reason to get all fussy about him.

I think you just need to have Galchenyuk healthy and Malkin will be fine.

Curse you for making this point before I could. Yes, he made some dumb decisions with the puck, but his line still dominated the chances. Better teams will punish him more but he was still doing a lot of good stuff.

Other random things

- I liked Schultz. If he keeps playing like this, the argument on what to do with him will shift rapidly. I liked Pettersson, I saw a few flashes of real offensive talent. I'm still not sure I like them together. If they stick, the third pairing had better learn to love defensive zone starts.

- I liked Bjugstad around his own net, one hideous turnover for a 1 vs 1 chance aside. I'm a tad concerned about him elsewhere. Maybe he needs Simon or Kahun on his left rather than McCann. Both Bjugstad and McCann seemed better for their break up.

- Blueger had 3 hits and 2 takeaways. Noice. Looked good in general.

Imagine saying "Letang looks identical to last year" as a bad thing. Dude could play like Bobby Orr and the second he turns over the puck this board would turn on him.

If Letang plays like he did last year - which was Norris calibre - we'll be in a good spot.

Quadruple likes. Raising concerns over Letang by comparing him to last year is a very short memory.

Reactions: JackFr

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Malkin better pick it up before the start of the season after making management ship Kessel out of here for pennies on the dollar.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Ok, let’s assume Rust goes on LTIR but Sid is ok...this is what I’m doing if I’m Sully...

Jake-Sid-Horny
AG-G-Tanev
Simon-McCann-Bjug
ZAR-Blueger-Kahun
Lafferty

Dumo-Letang
Petts-Schultz
Riikola-Guds/Marino

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

It’s a preseason game against Buffalo man; what are we supposed to do, not freak out?

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
Ok, let’s assume Rust goes on LTIR but Sid is ok...this is what I’m doing if I’m Sully...

Jake-Sid-Horny
AG-G-Tanev
Simon-McCann-Bjug
ZAR-Blueger-Kahun
Lafferty

Dumo-Letang
Petts-Schultz
Riikola-Guds/Marino
I’d rather have somebody like Agozzino sitting than Lafferty.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

Yeah no. Sorry. :laugh: I'm a pretty big 58 fan and I even think Kris would tell you he was not happy with his overall play. He's really getting caught too far out wide. He's making some unique turnovers. He struggled at the end of the season and he struggled against marginal talent in preseason.

I love Letang. You can ask his biggest fan, @pixiesfanyo . The argument has come up time and time again to trade him and I constantly say he's irreplaceable and you take the good with the bad. He's irreplaceable.

But this inability to discuss his game without this type of post is madness.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
NB: I am really looking forward to seeing Blueger grow this year, and I think ZAR, if healthy, will end up converting quite a few on this forum to.... if not fans... then being appreciative that he can help the team.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Malkin better pick it up before the start of the season after making management ship Kessel out of here for pennies on the dollar.
Agreed, he's turning over the puck as if he's trying to reach a quota. Unfortunately this pattern of piss poor puck management has been in place now for quite some time. You'd think he'd eventually make the necessary adjustments. Apparently not.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Wasn't able to watch the game today but after seeing the Rust incident...yeah that's gotta be a fracture at least. Probably on IR. Much more hopeful with Crosby.

Guess that answers our 13F question.

And salary cap issue, no?

At least delays it while he is on LTIR. And by three three others will be injured and on LTIR.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Yeah no. Sorry. :laugh: I'm a pretty big 58 fan and I even think Kris would tell you he was not happy with his overall play. He's really getting caught too far out wide. He's making some unique turnovers. He struggled at the end of the season and he struggled against marginal talent in preseason.

I love Letang. You can ask his biggest fan, @pixiesfanyo . The argument has come up time and time again to trade him and I constantly say he's irreplaceable and you take the good with the bad. He's irreplaceable.

But this inability to discuss his game without this type of post is madness.
I'm fine with criticizing individual performances, especially if he's having bad games like he had this preseason. I was just responding to the idea that he had a bad season last year.

Reactions: Vegeta

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
And salary cap issue, no?

At least delays it while he is on LTIR. And by three three others will be injured and on LTIR.

On the other hand, Rust on LTIR could delay any JJ trade if there was any urgency there...

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The complaints about Letang and Geno could be cut and paste from posts five years ago...I mean they both take risks and turn over a lot of pucks and take dumb penalties...that’s their game, love it or hate it...we’ll be hating on it and dreading it when they’re making fewer great offensive plays to go along with those mistakes..because that’s how they’ll trend as they get older...in the meantime, enjoy having great players make great plays because outside of the big three our other players aren’t special...

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
I was just responding to the idea that he had a bad season last year.

He is what he is. A CORSI behemoth who alternates between great and very costly. I could appreciate him - and his decisive mistakes - a lot more easily if I didn’t have to read about him being in Norris conversations. It’s nonsense.
His best and his athleticism is good enough for that, sure, but there is virtually no floor he can’t drop through because his head is not at that level.
Middle of the pack nr.1 in my book. Which is not too shabby at all once you get comfortable not expecting more.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
He is what he is. A CORSI behemoth who alternates between great and very costly. I could appreciate him - and his decisive mistakes - a lot more easily if I didn’t have to read about him being in Norris conversations. It’s nonsense.
His best and his athleticism is good enough for that, sure, but there is virtually no floor he can’t drop through because his head is not at that level.
Middle of the pack nr.1 in my book. Which is not too shabby at all once you get comfortable not expecting more.

He doesn’t have more “decisive” mistakes than your Burns or Karlssons. If anything he has less than those two.

Reactions: PensandCaps

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
The complaints about Letang and Geno could be cut and paste from posts five years ago...I mean they both take risks and turn over a lot of pucks and take dumb penalties...that’s their game, love it or hate it...we’ll be hating on it and dreading it when they’re making fewer great offensive plays to go along with those mistakes..because that’s how they’ll trend as they get older...in the meantime, enjoy having great players make great plays because outside of the big three our other players aren’t special...
But with Geno, his offensive attributes were so prolific he could overcome such mistakes.. As he ages he's got to be more sure handed. He's not gonna dominate the league as he has in the past. He needs to refine his game a bit, particularly in our end and in the middle of the ice between or just over/inside the blue lines. Sure there'll be games he can take over, but not to the level or degree he has previously. He needs to be made to understand this. He's trending in a very harmful and detrimental direction.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
- I liked Bjugstad around his own net, one hideous turnover for a 1 vs 1 chance aside. I'm a tad concerned about him elsewhere. Maybe he needs Simon or Kahun on his left rather than McCann. Both Bjugstad and McCann seemed better for their break up.

Yeah, if Sullivan is big on pairs, I’d staple Simon and Bjugstad together. Tanev, Rust and Hornqvist would fill a similar role there regardless of the shuffling. I’m a little surprised Sullivan hasn’t pounced on putting a player he’s seemingly liked in the top 9.

I liked Schultz. If he keeps playing like this, the argument on what to do with him will shift rapidly.

It’s all about his health imo. He’s very good when he doesn’t run into injury trouble. Unfortunately, he’s had injury problems these last 2 seasons and if it happens again, he’ll probably struggle. If he can’t stay healthy, between him and Letang I think the top 2 RD and OFD being glaring injury risks is a major problem. Investing more money into him just makes the problem worse. Throw in Malkin and Murray and Hornqvist’s concussions and no more iron man Kessel.

Schultz RS GP totals in the last 3 seasons

16-17: 78
17-18: 63
18-19: 29
170/246, 69% and he missed 4 playoff games

Letang

16-17: 41
17-18: 79
18-19: 65
185/246, 75% and he missed an entire playoffs. 25 games. We all know his extensive history.

The player isn’t the problem. The injury situation and injury history on the team are. Also, I absolutely loathe how Sullivan has handled it. Schultz misses 6 (?) months to a leg injury and isn’t 100%. Plays him with f***ing JJ. Letang misses half a season to his neck injury and surgery, and his off season training was nothing for him. Plays him like nothing happened. And Murray sucking while playing injured was stupid too.

Reactions: Peat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad