GDT: Preseason Game 5 WINGS at isle 7:00 pm et

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
someone should let Zadina know he has linemates.

He made the look but he didn't pull the trigger on the pass, but also De La Rose wasn't open, he was next to his coverage so thats a no go there. Nobody was moving into open space, they kept skating into clogged lanes. Like c'mon its 3v3 there is so much ice. Also whomever was leaving on the long change when De La Rose sent the puck up, wasn't paying attention. Can't do stuff like that.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
I think it's safe to say, anyone that touched the ice that OT is due for some coaching.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
No surprise we lost in overtime. totally new units with no chemistry and only maybe 4 good to very good skaters in the entire line-up tonight. It was a run out for the heavy mob, the maybe's and the never will be's. Ras and Svech scoring were good for both of them.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
This Bowey making a case will be interesting. He is really pressuring Hronek to steal the 2nd PP quarterback spot.
Green will be traded, Bowey will get his chance.

I wouldn't mind seeing Hronek or Bowey playing the left half board, set up like Ovechkin. Both have decent slappers. Green is accustomed to setting up righty shots.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Zadina is just..bad.

He over-handles the puck all the time. I dunno, I don't think this guy is the game-breaker we all hope he is. He just doesn't do enough on a shift to shift basis, and isn't fast enough to create enough space to get his shot off. I'm worried.

Reactions: odin1981

Solarion

Jul 27, 2018
Zadina is just..bad.

He over-handles the puck all the time. I dunno, I don't think this guy is the game-breaker we all hope he is. He just doesn't do enough on a shift to shift basis, and isn't fast enough to create enough space to get his shot off. I'm worried.
He certainly over handles the puck. Don't think he's bad though...he just needs to trust his teammates more and realize he's not in Kansas anymore.

It was brutal watching Hickey strip him and nearly end the game in 3v3. The kid isn't NHL ready. Fortunately Joey V is closer.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
I like Zadina's game so much more as a Red Wing than as a draft prospect. I'm not a big fan of goalscorers/snipers. It's a bit of a burden on your linemates if you're number 1 priority is always to simply "get open".

Zadina however, has a completely off the wall game. When he has the puck he's looking to weave a maze to a new angle, and when he doesn't have the puck he's looking for an opportunity to strike through a crack in the D, and he has no bias as to whether he's going to shoot or pass once he's made his move.

Similar to Cholowski, I feel like coaches, media, and fans are having a tendency to overreact to things they see as glaring weaknesses, when in reality they are two players that are very reliant on being plugged into the 5 v 5 match up. I think the reason they stick out sometimes is because as inexperienced, low-key, undersized, stubborn players transitioning through constantly shifting team scenarios, and no consistent linemates, we are in reality seeing these guys at their worst. Whenever they are ready to make the permanent jump, I expect all of their leaks to patch up nicely.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
A few thoughts
  • Veleno and Zadina had a good first period by keeping things simple, skating through checks, and firing shots, however weak, on net. Zadina was like 9-2 CF in the first period and finished 12-22 - second lowest on the team.
  • Veleno's defense isn't as NHL-ready as I thought. But I'm constantly surprised at how ready he looks on offense or the PP. Less a two-way guy, and more of a PP guy than I ever would have thought at this stage. His set up to Svech was perfect. He does a nice job with zone entries although sometimes he ruins them with impatient passes. Also, 60 percent faceoffs.
  • DeLa Rose was our best forward tonight. Looked and played like a big man with speed. Yeah, he lacks skill. But if this guy could even be a 52% faceoff guy, he'd have real value. Ehn was solid too.
  • Rasmussen was having a bad game until that goal, caused by atrocious Islanders defense (one on two in front of the net for some reason). But that goal seemed to wake him up a bit. I liked his PK work in the third period. 40%CF. 40% faceoffs. 1 shot. 1 goal.
  • Kaski and Lindstrom had quietly effective nights.
  • Cholowski still plays like a minor leaguer. He doesn't handle the physical game and panics when pressed. He's got to grow out of that.
  • Svech scored a sweet goal. Super quick release in tight space and a one-timer that whipped past the goalie. Svech only got credited with one shot at 5 on 5. But I thought he looked good on the line with Ehn and De la Rose. They worked the boards hard and won quite often. Svech had a real nice move where he used size and skill to bring it from behind the net for a scoring chance. Had 3 hits. 54 CF%. Svech looked totally lost in 3 on 3 and had one shift in his own zone that was really weak.
  • Smith is a guy who usually impresses me. He was really off his game tonight. Undisciplined. It was like he wasn't playing hockey.
  • Turgeon - kid just doesn't have the wheels to play in the NHL. Can't make space for himself.
  • McIlrath played about as poorly as one can play. Jittery with the puck. Dumb penalty. Poor defense. Disappointing, as I liked what he showed last year.

Last edited:
Reactions: NotLeddy

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I like Zadina's game so much more as a Red Wing than as a draft prospect. I'm not a big fan of goalscorers/snipers. It's a bit of a burden on your linemates if you're number 1 priority is always to simply "get open".

Zadina however, has a completely off the wall game. When he has the puck he's looking to weave a maze to a new angle, and when he doesn't have the puck he's looking for an opportunity to strike through a crack in the D, and he has no bias as to whether he's going to shoot or pass once he's made his move.

Similar to Cholowski, I feel like coaches, media, and fans are having a tendency to overreact to things they see as glaring weaknesses, when in reality they are two players that are very reliant on being plugged into the 5 v 5 match up. I think the reason they stick out sometimes is because as inexperienced, low-key, undersized, stubborn players transitioning through constantly shifting team scenarios, and no consistent linemates, we are in reality seeing these guys at their worst. Whenever they are ready to make the permanent jump, I expect all of their leaks to patch up nicely.

That's a very hopeful analysis.
Unfortunately, I think you could probably make that about any struggling first-rounder. I, myself, have felt the same way about a few prospects over the years. Svechnikov, for example, is not a guy I feel will be best served by returning to Grand Rapids.

Zadina, quite simply, gets in trouble the longer he holds the puck.
It was true last year. It's true this year. At least he's not getting his bell rung as much so far this year, so that's a sign that he's picking his head up.

The passing lanes open and close so quickly in the NHL and right now, Zadina can't seem to figure it out. I'm guessing he adjusts to it.
But I'm not sure he'll ever have the skating/skills to be the elite guy many hoped he'd be.

He tried that fancy move today... the behind-the-back deke. And it literally bought him no space. Veleno did that the other day and got himself a glorious scoring chance.
Why? Because Veleno has that extra gear.

He needs to simplify his game more. Shoot quicker. Pass quicker. Be a bit more north-south.

The kid also needs to get stronger.
There's a lot of work for him to do.

Reactions: Solarion

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
im thinking zadina's so soft that it makes him constantly hear foot steps which prevents him from getting on a roll , he plays scared because he knows he cant handle the hits from nhlers . if its possible for him to play in europe this season while he physically matures its what ide do

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
This might be a nasty game.

Smith giving Barzal an earful... wonder if he'd go with Martin.

Hes a genuine agitator that the wings havent really had since a younger Maltby. Glendening did an ok jpb of it for about one season but he got complacent once he had a contract. I think Smith is one of those idiots who genuinely loves that side of the game and even if he gets paid will still be doing it. A really good thing come playoff time if he can stay disciplined.

I didnt watch the game but he and Martin got misconducts together, I'm guessing they almost fought. Not sure I love Smiths chances there but hes a big boy, he'll figure that side out eventually

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
That's the last thing he needs.
i disagree . putting him out there against guys he cant physically match up with is the last thing he needs for both his health and his confidence . hes a soft pretty boy of huge talent that thrived on talent all along in europe but against the n american big boys cant function . ide never try forcing him when theres absolutely zero reason for it . if im yzerman i come out and say ive decided he needs time to harden his body up for the nhl so im putting him on a slow development speed and dont plan on bringing him up to the nhl this season as in the first place hes only a teenager

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Hes a genuine agitator that the wings havent really had since a younger Maltby. Glendening did an ok jpb of it for about one season but he got complacent once he had a contract. I think Smith is one of those idiots who genuinely loves that side of the game and even if he gets paid will still be doing it. A really good thing come playoff time if he can stay disciplined.

I didnt watch the game but he and Martin got misconducts together, I'm guessing they almost fought. Not sure I love Smiths chances there but hes a big boy, he'll figure that side out eventually

They didn't really almost fight, it was more of a "You're a dick," "No, YOU'RE a dick," two-part shoving match toward the end of regulation. I mean, Martin is not someone to be trifled with, and Gustav Smith didn't back down. I'd be interested to know how close they were to swinging, but in preseason I'd have to say it wasn't high, especially since Smith is a relative "nobody."

I like Smith's grit, and he's definitely got some skills; I think he could be a VERY effective 3rd/4th-line player in the coming years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad