GDT: Preseason Game #2 : Penguins vs Bluejackets at PPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
My waaaaaaaaaaaaay too early thoughts!

+++++ Speed/tenacity: We weren't chasing the play like last year with fake speed. We were aggressive and in their faces. Especially in the corners. I like the hunger. You can just feel the infuse of youth and it started in Buffalo and moved to tonight. I was so excited to see some of these guys and they delivered AND some.

++++ LEGARE!! I already wrote about him but it's his little pitbull mixed with a very NHL release. Laff played tremendous along side Legare. I was very impressed with Laff.

+++ MUZZ!! Flashed the leather a few times and played tremendous. I really liked how he played.

+++ Jake/Geno/Tanev/AG: Stars played very well. I loved how all 4 of these guys played. Especially the Geno/Gally duo.

+++ Marino/Guds/POJ/Pets: Loved these 4. Marino played very well. Guds was REALLY good. POJ shows signs of being great. Pets was solid. I didn't love Schultz or Wars tonight, but they weren't JJ/Riikola and others from the Buffalo game.

Kahun and Bjork were pretty quiet. Schultz wasn't good but that's okay. I thought that was a tremendous look at some of the new players.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Idk. They look like pretty different players and Poulin has the skating advantage. Right now I’m happy they have both.

I feel like at this stage which of Poulin and Legare people prefer says more about what they value in players than the players themselves.

I do feel like Poulin's got the higher ceiling though.

I don't want to bring this up but Legare isn't impressing me by his "shot". This isnt some Sprong mention where he's a forward who floats a bit and has a hard shot. Legare has a great RELEASE. I think it's his release. It's a mixture of Kessel/Hossa. Very quick but the shot gets on the goalie quick. And the guy has more corner ability than your typical "shooter".

The line that's stuck with me on Legare was when Jesse said he's never met a shot he didn't like. So on display with the first one, I feel like a decent proportion of the NHL would never have got that off.

Stick that on top of a battler's chassis and you've got something fun.

Really Randy? You are that guy :D?

@ColePens - you are watching.... should I remain worried about warrior #72 or does it look like he can keep up still?

He looks fine to me. Few decent chances, no lack of commitment, moving fine.

What he’d do? I can’t watch anymore...

At the end of a PK he got the chance to rush up ice and did just that. Shame his stick broke.

Incidentally, on the next shift Chucky was able to recover it but then lost it behind the net. When I saw Geno bearing down on the CBJ dman who had a chance to clear it I found myself wanting to whistle the Jaws theme.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Galchenyuk is going to really hurt the Penguins can situation, because I don't think JR is gonna let him walk if he meshes this well with Malkin.

I mean I get the concern, but if he meshes well and they kill it so be it. If we can win a cup and get number 4. Then let the cap hell happen. If Crosby and Malkin can walk away with 4 cups then the basement won't seem so bad after.

I honestly think though we see players signing extension sooner than later this year. JR seems to like signing during the season. Maybe it hurts them or maybe it gets them a couple good contracts this year.

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
+++ young blueliners. Can’t understate how refreshing it was to watch these guys instinctively try to push the puck in the right direction up-ice. Every time they got to a loose puck or made a stop they’re immediately looking to move it forward without hesitation. Awesome to see.

Big contrast between that and what we saw Monday from #3 and #2.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
loved our 4th line, energy, forecheck and two goals
Geno's line very soild
Simon and kahun not a good game, wait and see what Kahun can do with Sid
3rd line ///meh...unlike @ColePens I did not think Horny was all that good, had really bad second PP, 22 was the force on trhat line, Bjugs was too timid...
all the d-man played well except Warfosky, he was really getting on my nerves
Marino could be something special
Muzz looked super solid

Reactions: ColePens and Andy99

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
With all these youth coming in strong, this is why guys like ZAR and Bjugs looking average should be a concern. If they don't pick it up they should be replaced. ZAR played last game like his spot is all wrapped up.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Not quite yet...he needs a freak injury...coming any minute...
hey....
HEY

shhhhh
AbleOrnateAmbushbug-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: Andy99

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
++++ Legare, nice first showing here in Pitt! Great release. I'm happy for the kid.

++++ MM great economy of motion, solid positional goaltending, nice glove save at the end.

+++ Lafferty and Bjorkqvist, love their tenacity and puck pursuit, they were visible throughout IMO

++++++++ TEAM SPEED!

Last edited:
Reactions: Dominance

The Greatest 101

Dec 10, 2013
Manchuria
You guys make me so excited about Marino and Legare. Is there a possibility Marino keeps JJ out of the top six? With Marino in, JJ out and Guds playing decent, the defense corps maybe won’t be as helpless as I thought.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Bjork were pretty quiet. Schultz wasn't good but that's okay. I thought that was a tremendous look at some of the new players.

You want a super early take on Bjorkvist? He’s more of a great athlete with work ethic than a great hockey player. The brief talk about that looks like it’s true. It doesn’t mean he can’t carve out a solid career for himself but I think it will be more of a slow and steady progression.

I feel like at this stage which of Poulin and Legare people prefer says more about what they value in players than the players themselves.

I do feel like Poulin's got the higher ceiling though.

Yeah, I don’t disagree. I wouldn’t be surprised if Legare ended up being the more exciting player or got to the nhl first.

Reactions: Peat

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
You guys make me so excited about Marino and Legare. Is there a possibility Marino keeps JJ out of the top six? With Marino in, JJ out and Guds playing decent, the defense corps maybe won’t be as helpless as I thought.
I don't want to rush Marino, but yeah he could definitely keep JJ out of the top 6. Let the kid play at least 40 games in WB.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I also thought both Marino and Joesph accorded themselves pretty well. I'm encouraged and certainly feel much better about our prospect pool than this time last year (that's for sure).

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Less than 1%. I'd go a fair bit higher than that if Marino was left handed, but he'd have to be stupendous for them to force a rightie to the left and he's not been that.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
There was one particular play I need to talk about with Marino. I think it was the 2nd period and he got the puck just after the goaline. He skated it out of the zone and up towards the red line on the bench side. Jake was skating up with him. A CBJ player finally had to approach Marino because he didn't just stand there like JJ and most of the Pens d outside of Letang do. As the guy approached him, it opened up space. Marino threw a 4 foot backhand short pass to Jake and he was off and running. VERY impressive stuff.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Quietly GMJR is finally addressing the farm system and that may well be his biggest contribution in his time here. Group looks like they can be major talents and contributors and not just nice third and fourth line fits from the 2015 group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad