GDT: Preseason Game #2 : Penguins vs Bluejackets at PPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
One thing about the top 4 D tonight (Petts/Marino POJ/Guds) and how they played is it made me think "This is what Sully wants Penguins hockey to look like from the blueline."

Thats the thing i keep going back to.
P-O and Marino are just on another level vs the journeymen in JJ/Ruh and a matured euro like Riiko trying to find his way across the pond.
Both played and developed in N.A. and play the style that Sully should salivate over.

Fully expect them to start in the A but if things stay wonky with the JJ's, Riiko's and Ruh's, that marination in the minors may be sped up a smidge...

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
If POJ can handle the physicality in NHL, he and Guds make a very good third pair. Though I’m not holding my breath considering his weight.
POJ/Riikola have the same issue as they get a tad out of position from time to time. POJ really drifted on the PK a bit. He does a bit 5 on 5 as well. Riikola is more inconsistent but definitely has the physical component that POJ is growing into. Riik can throw a f***in booming hit and has a shot.

Out of the 3, Marino definitely looks the most solid. He is so smart on when to join. If anything, he is a little Ian Cole mixed with a little Pets. A good combo of the two. I don't know. He's really intrigued me.

ILikeTurtles

Sep 2, 2010
The nice thing about Chucky moving forward is he already carries a 4.9 cap hit. Being a 25, turning 26 in Feb, year old on his 3rd team he might be willing to take a team friendly cap hit to stay on a team he meshes with and has a chance to win. Jake is a 6, might be able to keep Chucky at or around that for a few years. His chemistry with Malkin has been noticeable and noted upon so far.

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
Prob wont have Chucky beyond this season though, Malkin will give him a big pay day.
Crosby said it best on the Chiclet’s podcast. You look at The Patriots, Pens, Bruins in a sense...if a team is going to take home friendly discounts, it has to be from the top down or else it’s a lost cause. I could definitely see him taking a more team friendly deal if he has success just to try and win a Cup.

I could truly see him taking a deal similar to Jake even if he does go out and put up 70ish points. If that is the case, there are absolutely fattier pieces that could be trimmed waaay before. It really lies on Chucky and how he likes it. Low pressure situation for him AZ where he was one of “the guys” and MTL where he was their savior.

I say there’s no way he doesn’t score 30.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
JR might have committed highway robbery with Marino. I know he wasn’t going to sign with Edmonton and it’s early days but jfc.

Yeah but JR is a total bum

-Numerous people on this very board. Yawn.

Legare looks like what you hoped Sprong would have. It's only preseason though. Keep that in mind. Still, his release is very legit. Actually tries defensively.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
My eye test on Legare and Poulin is VERY limited, but I'm intrigued by what you posted. From a very very very small sample size, Legare looks like a better skater. He gets to places a lot quicker/smarter/in advance. Poulin looks like he needs a lot more time to develop.

Definitely disagree. Poulin is a way better skater. It’s not even close really.

Legare is a decent skater until he gets the puck on his stick in space and then it’s UGLY. He works well from the bottom of the circles in, but any time I’ve seen him out in space I cringe.

Poulin you can see him flying around making things happen and he oozes hockey sense.

I thought the same thing about Savard when he took Horny down. He's a touch dude and a real solid D man.

I hope and do feel that Legare will sort out his skating. I like Poulin a lot as a prospect.

Savard is just a f***ing beast. No one that’s 225 should be able to skate like that and do the things he does. Every time I watch him I try to make some kind of voodoo wish he’d be a Pen...

Legare may sort out his skating some... it’s really his skating with the puck that’s so bad. Hopefully he finds a way to fix it.

Reactions: NEPA

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The nice thing about Chucky moving forward is he already carries a 4.9 cap hit. Being a 25, turning 26 in Feb, year old on his 3rd team he might be willing to take a team friendly cap hit to stay on a team he meshes with and has a chance to win. Jake is a 6, might be able to keep Chucky at or around that for a few years. His chemistry with Malkin has been noticeable and noted upon so far.
I see him taking a 5.5x5 type of deal if he works out well with Malkin. Kid is on his 3rd team and he's just 25, like a guy like McCann.

I think some just want to find a "place" they belong.

Reactions: Trade

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Legare shows that wrist/grip strength that allows him to get a good shot off in the kind of traffic that most guys, even NHL guys, would probably only be able to kind of flub the puck towards the net.

It's good to finally see Bjorkqvist in a pro setting. Doesn't look out of place.

Last edited:

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I thought the same thing about Savard when he took Horny down. He's a touch dude and a real solid D man.

I hope and do feel that Legare will sort out his skating. I like Poulin a lot as a prospect.
I think Legare's skating is average or slightly below. Pretty choppy but not necessarily abysmal. Although he does seem to get to right spot when it's all said and done. I've seen a lot worse and on this team (last season). Not to say he shouldn't work on it, but I don't see it as a huge hindrance. And I'm one who heavily values speed.

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think Legare's skating is average or slightly below. Pretty choppy but not necessarily abysmal. Although he does seem to get to right spot when it's all said and done. I've seen a lot worse and on this team (last season). Not to say he shouldn't work on it, but I don't see it as a huge hindrance. And I'm one who heavily values speed.
Yeah watching Poulin and Legare on the same ice it's pretty obvious that Poulin's skating isn't really a problem at all. Probably just average for a guy of his size even by NHL standards.. Legare is below average. They're both at an age where noticeable improvements can be made, unlike say a 24 year old (Maatta).

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I don't have any minuses. I really enjoyed watching these guys.

I'm going to give a big plus to JR. Look at the new guys he brought in this Summer...
Gally
POJ
Marino
Tanev
Poulin (drafted in 1st)
Legare (traded up for)
Kahun

It's early but if my impressions hold, this will end up being a very impressive Summer for JR. Don't @ me. :p:

What a fantastic way to show off some of the new names/faces and how they COULD work with the big guys. I think Kahun's style would REALLY fit with Sid.
Yup. I though Kahun was quiet but made some nice subtle plays. Some nice hands and vision. There's zero doubt in my mind that he's going to gel with Sid. I'm excited to see them.

If Bjorkqvist's athleticism extended to his skating, or came with a nasty edge as a player, I'd be a lot more interested in him.
I wouldn't read too much into this game, especially regarding his physicality. It was is first game back since shoulder surgery. Guys say it takes months before they trust their shoulders again.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I wouldn't read too much into this game, especially regarding his physicality. It was is first game back since shoulder surgery. Guys say it takes months before they trust their shoulders again.

Good point.

I thought he looked solid. I also view him as a depth forward. And in that capacity I was impressed with him. He was on the right side of the puck all night from what I saw. And considering he missed rookie camp (I believe) I'm satisfied.

I guess I'm judging him by all the super positive noises coming out of the org a little, and the odds he'd be more than a depth forward. What I saw seemed to be a decent interview for being early Kuhnhackl, and that doesn't fit the super positive noises.

Still, when you consider how long he's been out and why, I'm being way too hasty in attaching meaningful judgements.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
My eye test on Legare and Poulin is VERY limited, but I'm intrigued by what you posted. From a very very very small sample size, Legare looks like a better skater. He gets to places a lot quicker/smarter/in advance. Poulin looks like he needs a lot more time to develop.
Poulin looks almost like an old school playmaker like Brian Propp. His hand skills are there but he plays that slow down game that's about IQ. Almost seems to want the puck in dead ice and then pass his way out of it.

Legare is just a bull dog. Almost like a mix between James Neal and Leo Komorov.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
Legare's release is upper NHL level. That five hole shot was up above where the stick could stop it and through the wickets. Just sayin he picked that spot, wasn't luck. Marino, and POJ they both develop more and we are set on D, just need to jettison JJ in any fashion possible.

It's bad when it's preseason and kids with no NHL experience look better then him. Someone needs to put some itching powder in JJ's gear...

steelcityassault

Sep 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Legare's release is upper NHL level. That five hole shot was up above where the stick could stop it and through the wickets. Just sayin he picked that spot, wasn't luck. Marino, and POJ they both develop more and we are set on D, just need to jettison JJ in any fashion possible.

It's bad when it's preseason and kids with no NHL experience look better then him. Someone needs to put some itching powder in JJ's gear...

Just how Legare looked in camp. Buzz saw

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh

Legare looks like what you hoped Sprong would have. It's only preseason though. Keep that in mind. Still, his release is very legit. Actually tries defensively.
just needs to improve his skating.... and he's in.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009

If Marino became a legit top 4 D that still wouldn't negate signing Jack Johnson voluntarily.

Reactions: UnrealMachine

cbjgirl

Just thinking
Jan 19, 2006
about last summer.
Is CBJ playing a lot of prospects, or close to their actual lineup? I have no idea what their roster looks like anymore.

I saw this last night, and skimming through this morning, it didn't look like anyone answered. I'll do my best. Forward lines for today's practice were posted by a reporter type that is what is below for forwards.

Anton Karlsson (d)
Sonny Milano - 4th line left wing
Kevin Stenlund (f)
Emil Bemstrom - 4th line right wing
Gabriel Carlsson (d)
Ryan Collins (d)
Zac Dalpe (f)
Marko Dano - 5th line left wing
Brandon Dubinsky - 5th line center
Vladislav Gavrikov (d)
Markus Hannikainen - 5th line right wing
Scott Harrington (d) - 3rd line d or press box?
Jakob Lilja (f)
Ryan MacInnis (f)
Elvis Merzlikins - likely fighting it out with Korpi to see who gets Bob's old job or how much they share it
Gustav Nyquist - 2nd line left wing
Eric Robinson (f)
David Savard - 2nd line rd
Veini Vehvilainen - likely starter in Cleveland (both he and Elvis have been playing in Europe and need to adapt to North American rinks)
Alexander Wennberg - 2nd line center

CBJ have 10 or 11 NHL level D. The questions are "How healthy is Murray?" and "Who fills in the 3rd line?" There are several guys who have hit the point where they would have to go through waivers to be sent down. How much will that play into management's decisions?

Reactions: NEPA
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad