GDT: Preseason Game #2 : Penguins vs Bluejackets at PPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
I saw this last night, and skimming through this morning, it didn't look like anyone answered. I'll do my best. Forward lines for today's practice were posted by a reporter type that is what is below for forwards.

Anton Karlsson (d)
Sonny Milano - 4th line left wing
Kevin Stenlund (f)
Emil Bemstrom - 4th line right wing
Gabriel Carlsson (d)
Ryan Collins (d)
Zac Dalpe (f)
Marko Dano - 5th line left wing
Brandon Dubinsky - 5th line center
Vladislav Gavrikov (d)
Markus Hannikainen - 5th line right wing
Scott Harrington (d) - 3rd line d or press box?
Jakob Lilja (f)
Ryan MacInnis (f)
Elvis Merzlikins - likely fighting it out with Korpi to see who gets Bob's old job or how much they share it
Gustav Nyquist - 2nd line left wing
Eric Robinson (f)
David Savard - 2nd line rd
Veini Vehvilainen - likely starter in Cleveland (both he and Elvis have been playing in Europe and need to adapt to North American rinks)
Alexander Wennberg - 2nd line center

CBJ have 10 or 11 NHL level D. The questions are "How healthy is Murray?" and "Who fills in the 3rd line?" There are several guys who have hit the point where they would have to go through waivers to be sent down. How much will that play into management's decisions?

Thanks so much! I really appreciate this.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah but JR is a total bum

-Numerous people on this very board. Yawn.

Legare looks like what you hoped Sprong would have. It's only preseason though. Keep that in mind. Still, his release is very legit. Actually tries defensively.
Maybe the pens should rush legare, f*** his development up by burning a year and his waiver eligibility and then we can call Legare a useless plug too.
#penshockey

Reactions: MrBurghundy

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Legare shows that wrist/grip strength that allows him to get a good shot off in the kind of traffic that most guys, even NHL guys, would probably only be able to kind of flub the puck towards the net.

It's good to finally see Bjorkqvist in a pro setting. Doesn't look out of place.
Bjorkqvist is someone I will he shocked if he finishes the season in wbs. I expect him to be up on the big club within 2 months of the season.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Just catching back up to this thread, but man, I was impressed with the Guds/POJ pairing last night. POJ seems further along and more physically mature than I expected after reading all the AZ comments. I expected a longer term project, this guy looks like he can be making a contribution next year, right when we'll need some cheaper young guys to come up big for us.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I know this is cynical but I suspect that some of the reason Marino and POJ are looking so good to us (and they DO look further along than I thought) is because this team's group of depth guys fighting it out for the 6th and 7th spots look pretty trash.

Gudbranson really does look great out there, though. Honestly not just as a third pairing guy, either. In general. I guess Gonchar has been working with him a lot according to people watching camp.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I know this is cynical but I suspect that some of the reason Marino and POJ are looking so good to us (and they DO look further along than I thought) is because this team's group of depth guys fighting it out for the 6th and 7th spots look pretty trash.

Gudbranson really does look great out there, though. Honestly not just as a third pairing guy, either. In general. I guess Gonchar has been working with him a lot according to people watching camp.

We’re fine on D except for one spot—you know who...I really think they should send Trotman down and waive Ruh and JJ...that leaves Riikola, POJ and Marino (latter two waiver exempt) to duke it out for #6 and #7 D...

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
We’re fine on D except for one spot—you know who...I really think they should send Trotman down and waive Ruh and JJ...that leaves Riikola, POJ and Marino (latter two waiver exempt) to duke it out for #6 and #7 D...

I agree based on what I've seen so far. But it won't happen.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

This is a solid theory :laugh:

Their ability to close down guys quick and not get caught with the puck too often though, that seems pretty legit. Part of what I liked about Pettersson-Gudbranson last season was they made it very difficult for opposition to avoid trying something because of their reach and skating, and POJ and Marino seem to echo that.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Yah Guds isn't awful. just expensive. but if he plays like he did with us last season..we cant cant really afford to move him, as he is playing solid hockey. just wish he were making a mil less or so.

Dumo-Letang
Petts-Schultz
xxx-Guds

just dont know how well Guds will do without Petts.

you dont want JJ or one of the young guys like Marino or Riiko in the top 4. so you gotta have Petts with Schultz.

you also don't want JJ and Guds to be a pairing.

just Hope for Riko or Ruh to be the guy over JJ.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
If Marino became a legit top 4 D that still wouldn't negate signing Jack Johnson voluntarily.

No, Rutherford negated that many times over with great trades over his time as the GM. He doesn’t have to negate anything and has been a great GM for the Pens. His deals won us 2 Cups and this offseason was perfect in my mind. Rutherford went back to the strategy that helped us win 2 Cups. The speed added to this team is noticeably as good as the 2016 team.

As I said this summer the Pens are one LD away from the perfect team with zero weaknesses. Lines are made perfectly with a very fast forward to get in on the forecheck to create turnovers and give space for linemates. After watching POJ and Marino I feel confident they can play in the NHL this season. I would love for the Pens to use POJ as the 3rd LD with Gudbranson.

Marino looks very good also but Pens are stacked at RD with Letang, Schultz, and Gudbranson. I honestly think LD is solid also with Dumoulin, Pettersson, and POJ. I really think with POJ mobility and crisp passing he is ready for third pairing duty. I bet POJ is in the starting lineup by the halfway point. Pens defenseman depth is very strong with the additions of POJ and Marino. Rutherford has really added youth everywhere with Hornqvist the only forward not 27 or younger around our core. JJ is the only defenseman not in his 20’s surrounding our core. The way Rutherford transformed the team so quickly from last years starting lineup reminds me of his quick transformation he did with taking the slow aging Pens team he took over and made the fastest team in hockey. But you keep talking about the JJ signing.:thumbd:

Reactions: BigEezyE22

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Just catching back up to this thread, but man, I was impressed with the Guds/POJ pairing last night. POJ seems further along and more physically mature than I expected after reading all the AZ comments. I expected a longer term project, this guy looks like he can be making a contribution next year, right when we'll need some cheaper young guys to come up big for us.

He can f****** pass too. He was sniping passes right on the tape from behind the goal line to the red line last night

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

This is a solid theory :laugh:

Their ability to close down guys quick and not get caught with the puck too often though, that seems pretty legit. Part of what I liked about Pettersson-Gudbranson last season was they made it very difficult for opposition to avoid trying something because of their reach and skating, and POJ and Marino seem to echo that.

I've been vocal about how skeptical I am of Gudbranson's chances of success here without Pettersson, but he has looked good so far. The trick is doing it over an 82 game regular season, but at least the early returns are encouraging.

If he keeps playing like this nobody should have a problem with him sticking around for the season, anyway.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
I've been vocal about how skeptical I am of Gudbranson's chances of success here without Pettersson, but he has looked good so far. The trick is doing it over an 82 game regular season, but at least the early returns are encouraging.

If he keeps playing like this nobody should have a problem with him sticking around for the season, anyway.
I think my favorite play was early on when a forward tried checking him behind the Pens net. Guds pancaked him, looking effortless in the process, staying involved with the play flow. After reading more about him, and seeing his apologetic comments about his play in Vancouver, I really like the person. If his hockey skills approach his imposing size, he could do great things with this team.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
No, Rutherford negated that many times over with great trades over his time as the GM. He doesn’t have to negate anything and has been a great GM for the Pens. His deals won us 2 Cups and this offseason was perfect in my mind. Rutherford went back to the strategy that helped us win 2 Cups. The speed added to this team is noticeably as good as the 2016 team.

As I said this summer the Pens are one LD away from the perfect team with zero weaknesses. Lines are made perfectly with a very fast forward to get in on the forecheck to create turnovers and give space for linemates. After watching POJ and Marino I feel confident they can play in the NHL this season. I would love for the Pens to use POJ as the 3rd LD with Gudbranson.

Marino looks very good also but Pens are stacked at RD with Letang, Schultz, and Gudbranson. I honestly think LD is solid also with Dumoulin, Pettersson, and POJ. I really think with POJ mobility and crisp passing he is ready for third pairing duty. I bet POJ is in the starting lineup by the halfway point. Pens defenseman depth is very strong with the additions of POJ and Marino. Rutherford has really added youth everywhere with Hornqvist the only forward not 27 or younger around our core. JJ is the only defenseman not in his 20’s surrounding our core. The way Rutherford transformed the team so quickly from last years starting lineup reminds me of his quick transformation he did with taking the slow aging Pens team he took over and made the fastest team in hockey. But you keep talking about the JJ signing.:thumbd:

You wrote all that because you couldn't identify a joke. The punishment fits the crime.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Honestly, Gudbranson brings a skill set we need on the roster and if he can be as effective as he was with or without Pettersson he’s worth the 4 mil.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Honestly, Gudbranson brings a skill set we need on the roster and if he can be as effective as he was with or without Pettersson he’s worth the 4 mil.

I'm not gonna get too ahead of myself here - some exceptionally difficult decisions will need to be made next summer whether Guds keeps playing like this or not. But he's impressed no matter who he's played with through 2 games, time of year and quality of opponent notwithstanding. I want to give credit where credit's due.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Got around to watching the game. Pretty much echoing everyone else's thoughts for the most part. Kahun, Bjorkvist, Simon were pretty invisible. I still don't see what the hype for Bjorkvist is all about. I don't see anything that suggests he's not going to take at least a year or too in the AHL. Legare wasn't super visible for most of the game, but managed to score twice which is his job. Poulin had a few good plays but clearly isn't ready.

POJ made some really assertive plays with the puck that I liked a lot. Marino looked solid. Gudbranson continues to defy expectations. It's just pre-season but yeah, good stuff from those three for sure.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
He can f****** pass too. He was sniping passes right on the tape from behind the goal line to the red line last night

Yea, for me he'd be the guy i zero in on and let him play the last few pre-season games vs more NHL like rosters.
If he played really well in those games, he gets 3LD on MY starting lineup. Fully expect this not to happen tho but i so wish it would.

What i would do if that happened tho:

1) Send JJ down along with Trotman, Ruhwedel
2) If Jarry outplays CDS in pre-season, CDS goes down

Jake-Sid-Tanev
Chucky-G-Rust
McCann-Bjugs-Horny
ZAR/Simon-Blueger-Kahun
ZAR/Simon

Dumo-Letang
MP-Schultz
P-O-Guds
Riiko

MM
Jarry

^^^
22-Man roster with $980,042 in cap space.

You could also save a little more in space if a rookie beat out ZAR for a spot. One example would be Lafferty stays up, send ZAR thru waivers and cap space bumps up to
$1,212,542.

Boil it down i'd be having tryouts right now for :
#13F (ZAR vs a rookie: AJ, Lafferty, Angello, etc.)
#3LD (P-O vs Riiko)
#2G (CDS vs Jarry)

Last edited:
Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Yea, for me he'd be the guy i zero in on and let him play the last few pre-season games vs more NHL like rosters.
If he played really well in those games, he gets 3LD on MY starting lineup. Fully expect this not to happen tho but i so wish it would.

What i would do if that happened tho:

1) Send JJ down along with Trotman, Ruhwedel
2) If Jarry outplays CDS in pre-season, CDS goes down

Jake-Sid-Tanev
Chucky-G-Rust
McCann-Bjugs-Horny
ZAR/Simon-Blueger-Kahun
ZAR/Simon

Dumo-Letang
MP-Schultz
P-O-Guds
Riiko

MM
Jarry

^^^
22-Man roster with $980,042 in cap space.

You could also save a little more in space if a rookie beat out ZAR for a spot. One example would be Lafferty stays up, send ZAR thru waivers and cap space bumps up to
$1,212,542.

Boil it down i'd be having tryouts right now for :
#13F (ZAR vs a rookie: AJ, Lafferty, Angello, etc.)
#3LD (P-O vs Riiko)
#2G (CDS vs Jarry)

As much as I loved POJ the other day, and even if he could handle the day to day of the NHL regular season without getting killed, he'd be cooked by the playoffs. I'd really like to see him dominate in WBS first ala Dumo while being deployed heavy minutes in all situations, then get promoted to the big team full-time next year. But he looks like a great option for a cup of coffee this year if we need him. I was thinking a warm body like Warsofsky or Czuczman would be our LD callup before seeing POJ play.

Man our LD looks good moving forward, great work by the org to bring in Petts and POJ in the last year.

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad