GDT: Preseason Game #2 : Penguins vs Bluejackets at PPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
You want a super early take on Bjorkvist? He’s more of a great athlete with work ethic than a great hockey player. The brief talk about that looks like it’s true. It doesn’t mean he can’t carve out a solid career for himself but I think it will be more of a slow and steady progression.

If Bjorkqvist's athleticism extended to his skating, or came with a nasty edge as a player, I'd be a lot more interested in him.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
He played with an edge for Providence at least. We’ll see where it goes but I think even if he doesn’t hit his ceiling he’ll play and be kind of similar to Kuhnackl as a solid 4th liner and PKer.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
A bit surprised at some of the anti-Bjugstad comments. Didn’t do much offensively but his coverage in the d-zone was terrific.

Yeah, I thought he just looked like a vet doing enough in his first preseason game. I missed the 2nd period but he looked better from the 1st to the 3rd. It wasn’t like JJ being a festering boil or going full slug.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
His legs can't carry his weight. Its normal for a player of that size. Pro work outs will take care of that.

If the rumors are correct about that weight being all muscle, he may need to alter his actual body composition a little to do so.

Reactions: Burn

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
If Bjorkqvist's athleticism extended to his skating, or came with a nasty edge as a player, I'd be a lot more interested in him.
I thought he looked solid. I also view him as a depth forward. And in that capacity I was impressed with him. He was on the right side of the puck all night from what I saw. And considering he missed rookie camp (I believe) I'm satisfied.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
The only negatives I took, beyond Warsofsky being well Warsofsky was Chuckys puck management and Geno passing up prime scoring chances. I just hope they don't try to get too cute. Obviously their skill is awesome Geno in particular, but it's better to go north with the puck then drop it only to feed the Jackets transition. I saw Chucky do that at least twice.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I don't want to rush Marino, but yeah he could definitely keep JJ out of the top 6. Let the kid play at least 40 games in WB.

I’m not going to put a number on it, but something like that. If he’s dominating after 10 games then that changes things. It’s the same for POJ. If they excel in the AHL then the timetable changes.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
I was very impressed with our prospects. I believe POJ could be this year’s Pettersson. I really think he could be Gudbranson’s D partner. POJ’s skating and puck movement skills is much better than our other options for the 3LD spot.

Also Marino is going to be an NHL defensemen in the future. Rutherford made some great deals to get both of these defenseman. I like both of them better than Addison because I know they are sure things to make the big show. I don’t have to see anymore to know they have what it takes to be NHL defensemen. Addison still scares me because he had a lot of work to do but at his age has plenty of time to do it at 19.

Also looks like we had a great draft this year. I really think this is the best prospect group we have had in a very long time. The experts are way off on our prospect ranking.

I thought all the defenseman played well tonight besides Warsofsky. Forwards all looked good also. Malkin definitely has his linemates. The forward battle is very interesting because Simon can definitely play Center. If Simon plays Center on that 4th line with Rust then Blueger, Aston-Reese, and others fighting for that 12th spot.

Guentzel-Crosby-Kahun
Galchenyuk-Malkin-Tanev
McCann-Bjugstad-Hornqvist
Up for grabs-Simon-Rust

Dumoulin-Letang
Pettersson-Schultz
POJ-Gudbranson

Murray
Most likely DeSmith

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
It's simply fascinating how quick "depth" can turn around. 2013-14 we looked about dead with everything being spent on rentals. Out of nowhere this crop of young guys give us light.

Once again.. the defense looks grim and one of our prospects leaves. POJ/Marino come out of damn nowhere. Riikola is now like a 8/9 guy who still has potential. I mean 1-2 years of growth of POJ/Marino and we really could be on to something.

It's just amazing how organizational depth is sometimes. And maybe none of these guys pan out. Who knows? But I am WAY happier right now than I was a year ago.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Happy with mostly everything I saw...

- Malkin was skating like he was 25
- Malkin and Chucky look to have good chemistry
- Tanev is a bolt of energy
- Poulin’s skating and hockey sense continue to make me smile
- Legare would obviously have been a top ten pick if he could skate, so it is what it is.
- Marino just seems to have a knack for jumping into the play and most especially catching his high shadow napping when he has his eyes at the circles... sneaky...
- Jury is still out on Kahun
- I would do unspeakable acts to have Savard patrolling the Pens blueline. Add him in Schultz’s place and this team would be unreal.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

- Legare would obviously have been a top ten pick if he could skate, so it is what it is.
- Marino just seems to have a knack for jumping into the play and most especially catching his high shadow napping when he has his eyes at the circles... sneaky...
- I would do unspeakable acts to have Savard patrolling the Pens blueline. Add him in Schultz’s place and this team would be unreal.

My eye test on Legare and Poulin is VERY limited, but I'm intrigued by what you posted. From a very very very small sample size, Legare looks like a better skater. He gets to places a lot quicker/smarter/in advance. Poulin looks like he needs a lot more time to develop.

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA

I thought the same thing about Savard when he took Horny down. He's a touch dude and a real solid D man.

I hope and do feel that Legare will sort out his skating. I like Poulin a lot as a prospect.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
The tough thing for guys that might stand out in camp is we literally have no room for them on the NHL roster. Legare would have to keep scoring like this to even have a chance of making the team out of camp. There's just too many good NHL forwards on the roster.

On defense there's perhaps more room to at least battle for a 7th spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad