GDT: Preseason Game 1 - September 15th - 12:30 A.M. - Flames VS Bruins @ Shenzhen

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Recorded the game... which stopped at the end of regulation so at least I got to see the comeback.

I'm cautiously optimistic on Czarnik - he played great tonight, but is that him or is it a middle finger to the Bruins?
I don't know about that. I'm sure the Bruins would have loved to keep him but they just didn't have any room for him in the their top 12. If you love something let it go...

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
These are my thoughts exactly. He'll have to make a lot of difficult changes if he ever wants to become a #1D. Really, the only reason he was getting Norris votes is cause he can put up 50.

Different players offensively. Brodie is more a playmaker and can move the puck well; Dougie more of a shoot-first guy with a wicked wrister.

Fundamentally, both have the instincts to join the rush but Brodie actually tries to play defense even if he ocassionally makes a bad read every now and then. Hamilton just did the bare minimum and had his fair share of blunders that people chose to ignore because Gio or Smith could prevent a goal from coming out of it

Lotta Flames fans were frothing at the mouth to trade Brodie but he'll pick up where he left off with Gio and let the captain feel more comfortable playing his game

Hamilton is/was highly over-rated as Gio had to make up for all of the short-comings. With Gio's load lightened you already could see 2014-15 Gio back on the ice where until his injury he was the front runner for the Norris. Hanifin fit in perfectly with Hamonic. As the game went on both built on their immediate chemistry. Frolik, Backlund, and Bennett were all still getting opportunities but can not finish. Hope Peters scrambles the middle six giving Jankowski/Ryan a chance with Neal and Chucky.

Pleasantly surprised by Ryan and Czarnik.

Can't state how good it was to see Monahan skating so well. He is going to have a monster year if he can stay healthy. Lindholm really keeps the defense honest. The D-men can't cheat to Johnny's side as much.
If it weren't for Halak and a bad 3 minutes by all the Flames not just Gillies the Flames would have steamrolled. Bad line changes, blown coverage, and lack of focus.

I was a great deal. Both Hanifin and Lindholm are good young players. I think Lindholm is going to have a great year.

I said it on trade day but I will say it again. Calgary got the best d-man and a huge increase up front in Lindholm. In less than a year this will be referred to as Carolina's gaff of the decade in the ballpark of crapiness of Calgary's trade of Phaneuf or Gilmour.

Lindholm is already showing amazing benefits on the first unit. The line is way more effective in their own end and Peters really doesn't even have his systems in place.

Jags68

Oct 16, 2017
Recorded the game... which stopped at the end of regulation so at least I got to see the comeback.

I'm cautiously optimistic on Czarnik - he played great tonight, but is that him or is it a middle finger to the Bruins?

You need to watch the first shot in shootout

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I can’t believe @DominikBokkFan was so against us getting Lindholm.
tenor.gif

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

@Lazar Beams Since you subscribe to SN (iirc), you can log into SN Now with the credentials of your cable provider and watch the game, the end is the first half hour after the game on the schedule, I think it was misplays of the month

Also regarding Czarnik
tenor.gif

actually, it looked alot like what I saw in YT videos of him.

I think Monahan will flirt with 40
I think he will flirt with 40, bed it, then with his confidence high, flirt with a complete rocket

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I hope we see Bennett move up with Ryan and Czarnik. Frolik looks lost offensively and is better in a defensive role and Bennett needs higher skill linemates to play give and go with than bloody Hathaway. Janko had a couple nice plays, but Bennett was once again the best player on his line.

I see a ton of Flames fans already bitching about Bennett and want him gone (not on HF), but the guy is always with shit linemates and generates golden chances out of nothing.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I finally watched the game, I know it’s preseason but I really liked Hanifin, a lot. The guy is such a skater and constantly pushes the play up the ice. And I didn’t see a guy that looked weak in his own end, but I know these games don’t mean much. However I really liked what I saw from him.

Also I felt that Lindholm quietly had such a good game. If he plays there all season, he’s going to be the best winger Batman and Robin have ever had. He’s a more skilled Backlund, he knows where to be at all times and sees the ice tremendously well. Lindy is going to rack up assists this year, I’m so excited for this season.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I finally watched the game, I know it’s preseason but I really liked Hanifin, a lot. The guy is such a skater and constantly pushes the play up the ice. And I didn’t see a guy that looked weak in his own end, but I know these games don’t mean much. However I really liked what I saw from him.

Also I felt that Lindholm quietly had such a good game. If he plays there all season, he’s going to be the best winger Batman and Robin have ever had. He’s a more skilled Backlund, he knows where to be at all times and sees the ice tremendously well. Lindy is going to rack up assists this year, I’m so excited for this season.
He's going to change them from Batman & Robin to the Godfather Trilogy

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Aside from the backup goalie situation, so far the Kulak- Stone pairing is the weak link on the team. Will definitely be paying attention to a Valimaki - Andersson pairing if it ever happens once the team gets back to Calgary, although that pairing is unlikely once the regular season starts... you know, two rookies on the same pairing.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

Hanifin is not weak in his own end, you're seeing it right.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Aside from the backup goalie situation, so far the Kulak- Stone pairing is the weak link on the team. Will definitely be paying attention to a Valimaki - Andersson pairing if it ever happens once the team gets back to Calgary, although that pairing is unlikely once the regular season starts... you know, two rookies on the same pairing.
What I'd like to see in the next game is both Prout and Andersson get into the lineup (which I expect), and I'd sit Giordano and Brodie (I know it hurts our chances to win but in the preseason there are more important things than winning. I'd keep Hanifin and Hamonic together, giving them top minutes. Then pair Stone w/ Andersson and Kulak w/ Prout and see how those pairings do.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Pairing Andersson with Stone would have two right shot D together. I don't like the idea of putting a right shot rookie at LD so I'd sit Hamonic and play Andersson with Hanifin. Or sit TJ and play Andersson there. Stone can sit for Prout.

I do like the idea of giving H and H top minutes though!

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Pairing Andersson with Stone would have two right shot D together. I don't like the idea of putting a right shot rookie at LD so I'd sit Hamonic and play Andersson with Hanifin. Or sit TJ and play Andersson there. Stone can sit for Prout.

Andersson with Hanifin is a good idea for the next game.

Gio & Brodie
Hanifin & Andersson
Kulak & Hamonic
Prout

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

No.

You need to keep Hanifin and Hamonic together and playing as many minutes together as possible, to get them on the same page and build chemistry.

I also would put Stone on LD, not Andersson, as he played LD with Hamonic last season after Brodie was injured. Stone is going to be an everyday player, whether certain posters like it or not. So, it is important to find him his best partner and the most likely two pairings for our bottom pair are Kulak/Stone and Stone/Andersson. So since the former looked poor last night, it is important to try the other.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
No.

You need to keep Hanifin and Hamonic together and playing as many minutes together as possible, to get them on the same page and build chemistry.

I also would put Stone on LD, not Andersson, as he played LD with Hamonic last season after Brodie was injured. Stone is going to be an everyday player, whether certain posters like it or not. So, it is important to find him his best partner and the most likely two pairings for our bottom pair are Kulak/Stone and Stone/Andersson. So since the former looked poor last night, it is important to try the other.
It's only one preseason game. I'd rather evaluate Andersson when he has a good defensive partner than without one.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
If Andersson makes the team I can see him replacing Stone and Stone becomes traid bait

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It's only one preseason game. I'd rather evaluate Andersson when he has a good defensive partner than without one.
Evaluate him with who he would play with. Putting with a guy that is going to prop him up and make him look better when he won't be playing with them is monumentally stupid.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
If Andersson makes the team I can see him replacing Stone and Stone becomes traid bait
Stone is going nowhere. He's our insurance for the top 4. The whole reason he was acquired and then re-signed after Hamonic was acquired, was to have 5 defensemen that can play in the top 4 if needed. Kulak isn't in the realm of being a top 4 defenseman and Andersson needs to get some more NHL time under his belt before we know what we truly have in him and how close he is. Stone will not be moved until there is someone to replace him in the role of being the top 4s insurance policy.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I could see these defensive pairings during the regular season if everything works out

Gio & Brodie
Hanifin & Hamonic
Kulak & Andersson
Prout

Stone traded

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Stone is going nowhere. He's our insurance for the top 4. The whole reason he was acquired and then re-signed after Hamonic was acquired, was to have 5 defensemen that can play in the top 4 if needed. Kulak isn't in the realm of being a top 4 defenseman and Andersson needs to get some more NHL time under his belt before we know what we truly have in him and how close he is. Stone will not be moved until there is someone to replace him in the role of being the top 4s insurance policy.
Lot of money tied up in insurance.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Evaluate him with who he would play with. Putting with a guy that is going to prop him up and make him look better when he won't be playing with them is monumentally stupid.
Ya but your opinion is that he plays with Stone. I think Stone will end up traded

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad