GDT: Preseason Game 1 - September 15th - 12:30 A.M. - Flames VS Bruins @ Shenzhen

Snazu

I contribute nothing
Feb 2, 2007
They're still doing the post game on 960, Should be even more of a trainwreck that usual. I bet 90% of the callers are going to be loaded.
FWQSYz4.gif

giphy.gif

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I like what I saw from all the new guys. Really liking Hanifins game. Czarnik has impressed me. Not sure at all why Boston let him go. Lindholm was steady. Ryan was good.
Since Peters really likes juggling his lines hes going to love coaching this Flames team.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
It's only been 1 game and it was a pre-season game at that, but I can see why Carolina fans didn't like Peters giving Ryan too much ice-time. Hopefully he tames it down as he gets to know the team and as the season goes on because by the end of the game he was up on the 2nd line and Bennett was still dragging around Hathaway.

Just saying I hope he tames it down with the Ryan love.

Reactions: Jags68

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
It's only been 1 game and it was a pre-season game at that, but I can see why Carolina fans didn't like Peters giving Ryan too much ice-time. Hopefully he tames it down as he gets to know the team and as the season goes on because by the end of the game he was up on the 2nd line and Bennett was still dragging around Hathaway.

Just saying I hope he tames it down with the Ryan love.

I mean Ryan actually looked good out there and backlund was struggling quite a bit until he was paired with frolik. 2nd line needs to do better, but overall liked what I saw.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
All in all, I'm pleased with today's game. There was a rough spot in the first, but the boys fought back and tied it up. We were being stopped by a brick wall in Halak tonight and they just kept plugging away.

Gio really stepped up and looked good. Lindholm already looks like he's finding chemistry with Gaudreau and Monahan. Czarnik was impressive as hell. Ryan looked really solid, looks like a good middle 6 add. Gillies had a rough stretch but battled back and settled down. Lots of positives already. I look forward to the rest of teh pre-season and watching how we grow.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I just caught most of the third at the gime this morning. Big guns played well, Bennett missed some golden opportunites. Seemed like a decent game.

Reactions: Volica

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I recorded the game. I was impressed with our new additions particularly Lindholm, Ryan, Czarnik and Hanifin. Neal played well too, but the chemistry on the 2nd line wasn't there. I think Backs struggled in his new role (more offence) which dragged the line down a bit. Similarly Frolik seemed to be the odd man out on the 3rd line when Ryan and Czarnik were soaring. Benny started out well on the 4th line then slowed down a bit. I think moving him up a line might work out well. The third line looked like they could use some snarl.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I tried so hard to stay up but ended up falling asleep at midnight. Read through the thread and it looks like all of the new acquisitions impressed. Didn't see much about Neal. How was he?

Edit: Yikes those first 2 goals on Gillies are ones he'd probably want back.

Last edited:

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Caught the highlights, and yeah first two goals on Gillies were definitely bad. Slow to react and misread the play. The third was poor defensive coverage. Third pairing seemed bad; would be nice to see Andersson get a game in.

Giordano's first goal is exactly what happens when he doesn't have to babysit his partner and has a green light to move up. He's going to have a good year offensively.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
Besides that 2 minute period in the first, we played really well for the first organized game of the season, after only 1 practice as well.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I, too, am pretty pleased with that first game. Peters hasn't really coached the team yet, so there was no real reason why we wouldn't see "the old Flames" in this game- a lot of possession, but failing to decisively break down the opposition and score, then allowing a few odd-man rushes and throwing the game away.

We controlled pretty much the whole game aside from those fateful minutes in the first period. And we did show a decent amount of offensive creativity, especially from the new arrivals.

In terms of individuals, several of our top players are not looking up to speed or anything near it (Gaudreau, Neal, Backlund, Tkachuk), but Monahan looks fantastic, Jankowski looked faster than I remember and was generating opportunities with that speed, Czarnik and Ryan look like smart and talented players, and Hanifin looks like a strong d-man. I really like this roster. I don't think we're going to miss Hamilton at all, and I think the rest of the league is going to figure this out early into the season.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
My takeaways:

The additions looked great.
Ryan, Czarnik, Lindholm, Neal and Hanifin are better than advertised. I thought especially the Canes trio and Czarnik looked very, very impressive. All four Calgary lines looked like they could score given the opportunity.

Some of our old stars had some issues getting to speed. Chucky and Backs seemed a step behind. Not much to worry about though, we know what we have in those guys. Chucky had some flashes, Backs had a forgettable game.

Third pairing looked like third pairings of years past. I thought Stoney/Kulak were a really good pair last season. This game really exposed them, they gave up more chances than they should have. Not overly impressed by two guys who have jobs in jeopardy.

Monahan looks to have found another gear, I think Lindholm will help him out more than anyone's really thinking.

Giordano and Brodie looked great. Like they never skipped two years away from each other. Hanifin and Hamonic were solid. I thought Hammer was fighting it a bit early in the game, but rounded out. Hanifin looked great. We're going to be like Dougie Who? With Noah.

Having Frolik on the bottom 6 is going to be a huge team asset. Guys a pure professional.

I still don't know what I think about Benny/Janko/Hathaway. They looked bad for long parts of the game. Then they had some good chances; all played aggressively. Still think Calgary benefits from splitting these three up.

Gillies struggled early, then really wasn't tested much. Made saves late in game when he needed, but overall was overshadowed by a helluva performance by Halak.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
This is the season where people see that Brodie was better than Hamilton all along

Different players. I think it's the season people realize that Hanifin was drafted as a top 5 pick, and deserves that recognition.

It was fun watching him start in the Dzone, play the PK, etc. Everyone keeps telling me he gets easy matchups and only Ozone time. Really why you can't take fans seriously, especially ones that just watch stats.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Man, Hanifin looks absolutely huge!

You guys all know I wasn't Hamilton's biggest fan during his time here. Based on the hype, I thought we were getting a much more complete player when we acquired him, but I found him to be a bit "lumbering," and without quickness I don't think he can ever be a true #1. But his numbers are there, which is obviously why the rest of the league that doesn't watch the Flames still hypes him.

I dunno. In that first game, I thought Hanifin looked like a more complete player than Hamilton. I think he'll take a lot fewer penalties and should be able to build the same offensive repertoire as he plays similarly in the offensive end.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Aside from that 5 minutes mishap by Gillies, he played a decent game.

He has always been like that. Looks great then for a couple mins looks like he is lost.

IMO, he is a Sam Bennett in goal. With size and some ability but over all lack the brain to be successful

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015

You guys all know I wasn't Hamilton's biggest fan during his time here. Based on the hype, I thought we were getting a much more complete player when we acquired him, but I found him to be a bit "lumbering," and without quickness I don't think he can ever be a true #1. But his numbers are there, which is obviously why the rest of the league that doesn't watch the Flames still hypes him.

I dunno. In that first game, I thought Hanifin looked like a more complete player than Hamilton. I think he'll take a lot fewer penalties and should be able to build the same offensive repertoire as he plays similarly in the offensive end.
These are my thoughts exactly. He'll have to make a lot of difficult changes if he ever wants to become a #1D. Really, the only reason he was getting Norris votes is cause he can put up 50.

Different players.
Different players offensively. Brodie is more a playmaker and can move the puck well; Dougie more of a shoot-first guy with a wicked wrister.

Fundamentally, both have the instincts to join the rush but Brodie actually tries to play defense even if he ocassionally makes a bad read every now and then. Hamilton just did the bare minimum and had his fair share of blunders that people chose to ignore because Gio or Smith could prevent a goal from coming out of it

Lotta Flames fans were frothing at the mouth to trade Brodie but he'll pick up where he left off with Gio and let the captain feel more comfortable playing his game

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

I was a great deal. Both Hanifin and Lindholm are good young players. I think Lindholm is going to have a great year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad