GDT: Preseason Game 1: Pittsburgh Penguins vs. Buffalo Sabres from PSU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Nice comeback and then Eichel wins it. I was impressed with Marino and both our goalies. Under the circumstances and looking at the respective rosters this should have been a 7-2 or some such Sabres victory.

Reactions: Rudy Russo

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
From what I saw, here's who I'd say was good and bad:

Good: Simon, DeSmith, Blueger, Legare, Rust in period 2, AJ
Bad: Riikola, Ruhwedel, JJ, Addison, Rust outside of period 2, ZAR

They don't have their bottom pair LD in the organization right now. They're super deep in NHL caliber RD, but they only have Dumoulin and Pettersson on LD. Too bad Gudbranson can't play LD and they can't run with Guds and Marino.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
It were me, i'd honestly try Guds on LD.
Or maybe Marino can do it all and play LD.
Either way this teams 6 best(this is with JS, Guds looking decent to good when they get in) is:

Dumo-Tang
MP-JS/Guds
JS/Guds-Marino

Since that is not very likely, i take the best out of:
Trotman vs Riiko
and send the loser + JJ + Ruh thru waivers.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
AJ was a lot more noticeable to me than ZAR. Even the Ole 29'er said he didn't like ZAR's attitude and thought he should treat it like he is fighting for a roster spot.

In all fairness, that could be ZAR fighting. He is what he is, not reliably healthy, usually invisible and sometimes noticeably good. I thought he had a few good shifts which is better than his invisible for multiple games shtick. He’s not always invisible and he’s not like Johnson with the laughers but he rarely stands out for long. If he does he’s liable to get hurt anyway.

Reactions: Andy99

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
AJ was a lot more noticeable to me than ZAR. Even the Ole 29'er said he didn't like ZAR's attitude and thought he should treat it like he is fighting for a roster spot.

If he keeps playing like this I don't see why he should be on the roster at all. I'd say each of Simon, AJ, Blueger, and Lafferty were outperforming him.

But there's lots of preseason left.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
If he keeps playing like this I don't see why he should be on the roster at all. I'd say each of Simon, AJ, Blueger, and Lafferty were outperforming him.

But there's lots of preseason left.

Hope AJ gets a spot. Could use his speed and the way he plays. Been wanting him to stay up since he was first tried last season, will keep wishing.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The issue with the Penguins D right now is that you can't just hide guys in WBS, because WBS is already crowded with veteran defenseman that will be taking ice time away from guys like POJ, Almari and Marino. They already have Czuczman, Warsofsky and Trotman as veteran D, stashing 2 of Riikola, Johnson and Ruhwedel there blocks the young guys even more.

I think you trade Ruhwedel for whatever you can get, waive Johnson with the plans of buying him out after the year and go shopping for an actual everyday puck moving LD for the bottom pair. Or maybe you use Rust, McCann or Kahun to sink Johnson for another short term cap dump, something like Rust and JJ to Detroit for Daley.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

Man PB lit him up in the 2nd period asking ZAR to pick what type of player he wants to be and be it, basically stating ZAR has no identity.

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
So Blueger was good in WBS. Then when called up to Pitt and even had to play #2 C. Then in Worlds. Now again so far in preseason.

Hes a smart player with speed and skill. And can not only kill penalties but a knack for SH goals. Our 4th C for years to come. Should put Rust with him and Simon/ZAR on other side. If neither step up in their 3rd year....whoever steps up in WBS should get that spot. Adam Johnson/Lafferty/Angello. Assuming it takes another year for guys like Bellerive/Bkorkvist/etc.

With the talent we have in WBS they should be trading guys they plan on replacing. Simon/ZAR first. Then Rust/Bjugstad following season depending on if someone is ready to take over roles. Eventually Hornqvist if between Bjorkvist, Hallander, Legare, Poulin we get a few who pan out.

Thats also assuming we keep Kahun, McCann, and Tanev. Even Tanev can be replaced eventually by a prospect. Having as many on their ELCs who play just as well as those on long term deals is the goal. Allows us to fill roster with ELCs using extra money for a top player for the D for example.

Thats how you get a Doughty type to go with Letang . its a must we hit on 4 or 5 of these top prospects.

As Sid/Geno age....we surround them with top tier talent.

Reactions: Dominance
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad