GDT: Preseason Game 1: Pittsburgh Penguins vs. Buffalo Sabres from PSU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Eichel is so filthy in 3 on 3. Looks like he's moving in slow motion and then he's gone.
I know it's said often about Eichel, but he's one of the most talented players i've seen. He can just hold the puck with no matter how many players trying to take him down... and then makes an insane play with it.

But his consistency is brutal. I can't even figure out why. I am guessing effort? I can't imagine what it is. Every time he touches the puck he's about 2 steps ahead of the guy trying to defend him.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I had a very strange opinion of some of the tweener WBS up and comers. It is nice that they seem to have similar skillsets of some good wheels and some skill to add to it. I like it. I like the direction. But man a lot of those guys need that "fight for your career" mentality. There were so many times they were right on the puck carrier and then eased up to try to hold position. Just run through them like annoying pests.

Which leads me to a guy like Tanev and why we wanted the Pens connected to Tanev. Maybe not for the asinine contract, but he does that annoying energy that really sparks a team. Almost 300 hits last year, BUT not Glass/Adams version. Hits that actually affect the play and add that nice tenacity that sparks a line.

But some of those WBS guys really need that. They are legit right there and just need to finish the play.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I know it's said often about Eichel, but he's one of the most talented players i've seen. He can just hold the puck with no matter how many players trying to take him down... and then makes an insane play with it.

But his consistency is brutal. I can't even figure out why. I am guessing effort? I can't imagine what it is. Every time he touches the puck he's about 2 steps ahead of the guy trying to defend him.

He’s got Malkin syndrome. Extremely, extremely emotional player and that has consistently been the knock on him since he was young.

When that Buffalo squad puts everything together they can be so damn good.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I had a very strange opinion of some of the tweener WBS up and comers. It is nice that they seem to have similar skillsets of some good wheels and some skill to add to it. I like it. I like the direction. But man a lot of those guys need that "fight for your career" mentality. There were so many times they were right on the puck carrier and then eased up to try to hold position. Just run through them like annoying pests.

Which leads me to a guy like Tanev and why we wanted the Pens connected to Tanev. Maybe not for the asinine contract, but he does that annoying energy that really sparks a team. Almost 300 hits last year, BUT not Glass/Adams version. Hits that actually affect the play and add that nice tenacity that sparks a line.

But some of those WBS guys really need that. They are legit right there and just need to finish the play.

Couple of seasons back when Blueger was pressing hard, his tendency to to chase plays too far and get out of position was flagged by the beat writers as to why he got sent down. As such, I'm suspecting that not doing anything silly is getting drummed into them, and they're maybe being a bit too careful - and that being able to balance aggression with playing the system will help decide which of them make it and which ones won't.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
He’s got Malkin syndrome. Extremely, extremely emotional player and that has consistently been the knock on him since he was young.

When that Buffalo squad puts everything together they can be so damn good.

The best thing that happened to Geno is having Sid to take the pressure Eichel is not really able to handle. Let him be him and not worry about other stuff.

Being "the guy" is not just about talent, it is about who you are as well. That's why Toews is seen as "the guy" in Chicago even if the best player is Kane by a mile.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Couple of seasons back when Blueger was pressing hard, his tendency to to chase plays too far and get out of position was flagged by the beat writers as to why he got sent down. As such, I'm suspecting that not doing anything silly is getting drummed into them, and they're maybe being a bit too careful - and that being able to balance aggression with playing the system will help decide which of them make it and which ones won't.

So maybe they want them to forecheck like that? It looks stupid because it never interrupts flow. If you interrupt flow, it helps a lot more. If you wave your stick and stay on the d-side, players will eat you up.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
So maybe they want them to forecheck like that? It looks stupid because it never interrupts flow. If you interrupt flow, it helps a lot more. If you wave your stick and stay on the d-side, players will eat you up.

I dunno. If I had to guess, I'd say that the players aren't getting the execution of when to finish the hit and when to let it go right, and are making bad decisions out of nerves/as a process towards the balance, but that's just guessing. Will be interesting to see what guys like Angello and Bjorkqvist do when it's their turn.

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009

AJ really isn't the type to go hitting everything(Hagelin type style).
Lafferty is capable of it tho. Seen him do it Wilkes.
In terms of who would be best at it for WB:
DiPauli, Bjorkqvist and Angello.
I'm curious about Almeida as well since i haven't watched alot of him.
Bellerive would do it but i don't know if he'll ever get quick enough.
Hallander(soon) is a pretty solid checker as well.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Didn't we also have another Dman after that was good in preseason and the talk here? the name escapes me, think he was still playing a few years ago for some team.

Harrington? Bengtsson?

Riikola last year. Who I thought was being overhyped because his decision making wasn’t great and needed work for the NHL. As someone who is probably currently overhyping Marino, don’t make the same mistake with him and start him in the damn AHL like Riikola should have been. He looks great but needs to learn when not to try some things. Get him and POJ lots of minutes in WBS to start the season and hope they progress like Guentzel did.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Harrington? Bengtsson?

Riikola last year. Who I thought was being overhyped because his decision making wasn’t great and needed work for the NHL. As someone who is probably currently overhyping Marino, don’t make the same mistake with him and start him in the damn AHL like Riikola should have been. He looks great but needs to learn when not to try some things. Get him and POJ lots of minutes in WBS to start the season and hope they progress like Guentzel did.
Naw it was a while ago, he did so well he played in the regular season with us. Was a PTO IIRC?

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005

That's a good point. That's one of the reasons I really liked how Vellucci handled Angello last week. He seems like a really perceptive guy in terms of development. I think he'll get those guys to up their compete level.

Also, I think Peat is right that guys are overly cautious at this stage. I've noticed it several times over the years. When they start believing in themselves and feeling more comfortable, they start playing their game and finding more success.

Confidence swings both ways though, and I think ZAR is going through that right now.

Didn't we also have another Dman after that was good in preseason and the talk here? the name escapes me, think he was still playing a few years ago for some team.
Maatta? :sarcasm:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
He signed a PTO with WBS before Shero signed him. It's why he keeps coming to mind. 2013... the season with too much cap space...

Ah, good catch. Maybe it was him after all. :laugh:

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Weird, none of the players I am looking at all the way to Crosbys draft don't look familiar to the guy I am thinking of. Maybe I am just thinking of an alternate reality? Looked on hockey reference.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->