Post-Game Talk: Preseason Game 1 - Dancin' with the Devil - Bruins @ Devils - 7pm ET - 98.5 The Sports Hub

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I really liked Studnicka...He has a lot of skill....Liked the Lauko, Freddy, Steen line...All will be bottom 6 guys in the NHL IMO one day. Freddy doesn't look as slow as tv but still slow to get to pucks...Carey, Gaunce, Blidh and Fitz are all AHL guys...don't see much but Carey good when he has the puck like someone else said. Ritchie, slow, but takes up space and decent digging pucks out, def not a third liner tho….I would bet Lindholm makes the team....Senny is a bottom six I guess at this point, works hard, just didn't see any type of offensive skill...

Defensively, Zboril meh, was good on one of the PP...Andersson is all over the place but has superior offensive skill, if they harness it he should be really good...Petro and Breen, AHL at best...Kampfer kinda looked like Bobby Orr. Vaak, meh, skates good and covered up for a horrible Petro most of the night, but he was ridiculously weak in the corners and along the boards, I hope he was maybe fighting a cold or something..I'm sure it's unusual.

Keyser was pretty good he really moves around economically...confident....Vladar didn't have a chance on some of his but missed one because I was admittedly checking out an angel in a Bruins jersey walking by.

Bruins treated Hughes like he was Wayne Gretzky which pissed me off...for a preseason game there wasn't much of anything, times have really changed. Other than Studnicka and Lindholm there wasn't anyone that seemed to be trying too hard to make the team...Lauko and Steen can prolly fit into that group too, as the Devils played a lot of NHL regulars.
I’m going to all 3 next week

I’ll give a good report and have my buds who are going watch a couple of players as well

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
I’m going to all 3 next week

I’ll give a good report and have my buds who are going watch a couple of players as well
Try to get a good read on Senyshyn.
Would like you take on him in this training camp.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Not sure why everyone is down on Zboril's performance. I thought he showed a lot of poise with the puck and was making things happen. He did have his characteristic mental lapses, but overall I thought his game was promising.

No one has even mentioned Fitzgerald, likely because he was invisible. He was one of the best players in Providence two years ago, and I thought he could challenge for a roster spot. Instead he has declined. What happened?

The top coaches for the Bruins (Cassidy, Sacco and Dean) need to get actively involved in the development of Frederic and Senyshyn. These players have all the tools, but they just are not improving. Frederic needs to be more involved in the play, and Senyshyn still needs a ton of work on positioning. Just doesn't seem like the Providence coaches have straightened them out.

Frederic looks better then on TV skating wise for sure but he was late to the puck and didn't do much in regards to offense. He is huge though and a menace in the O end down low and also defensively plays very sound. Senny is what he is at this point maybe? He definitely gets it and what he needs to do...not sure if he will be the goal scorer we want him to be but I think he can easily be a 3RW..

Reactions: Strafer

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Try to get a good read on Senyshyn.
Would like you take on him in this training camp.
I definitely will

I want him to succeed

Will be looking at - what’s he do with the puck and does it follow him or is he just out there skating hard but nothing happens

Vaakanainen I’m super high on and because where I sit I have a phenomenal view of the D

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
I definitely will

I want him to succeed

Will be looking at - what’s he do with the puck and does it follow him or is he just out there skating hard but nothing happens

Vaakanainen I’m super high on and because where I sit I have a phenomenal view of the D
Lots of great prospects to follow.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Keyser & Vaakainen really stood out to me. Keyser looked/acted calm in goal and made some very nice saves. Hopefully he continues to develop his game, Rask/Halak won't be in net forever. I think Vaak made a very strong case to make the team, 25 minutes of ice time & generally playing like a beast. I don't envy Cassidy having to decide what to do with him if he keeps playing like this & stays healthy.

Oh and PK Subban is still a dick out there.

Reactions: Strafer and Estlin

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Keyser & Vaakainen really stood out to me. Keyser looked/acted calm in goal and made some very nice saves. Hopefully he continues to develop his game, Rask/Halak won't be in net forever. I think Vaak made a very strong case to make the team, 25 minutes of ice time & generally playing like a beast. I don't envy Cassidy having to decide what to do with him if he keeps playing like this & stays healthy.

Oh and PK Subban is still a dick out there.
Of course, you can't change the nature of the beast.

Reactions: Bun Cook

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Vaak looked good, starting to see what some see in him but still has a long way to go. Another year in Providence with injury call ups would suit him best then he takes Chara's spot next year.

I liked Frederics game, he will be a bottom six forward as the untalented Gretzky derided but will probably play 500+ games in the NHL as a Bruin which I will take with a later first round pick every time.

Steens speed and willingness to go to the net stood out, a year in Providence and he looks like he could become a player.

Studnicka was not surprisingly inconsistent but showed some very good traits, again a year in the AHL should do wonders.

Ritchie was invisible, again showing the need for a top 9 physical winger like Wood or Anderson. Adam McQuaid today is a much better player than Petrovic, maybe he was nervous but he was not impressive. Zboril needs a change of scenery

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Only caught the 3rd, but Vaak, Steen, Blidh and Wagner stood out to me. Honestly didnt see a ton from Stud until the late goal.

Disappointed that Senyshyn and Ritchie were invisible.

Lauko needs more time but hes fun to watch.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
People keep saying Ritchie was invisible but on the tying goal in the last seconds, he won like 3 puck battles along the boards. He's a strong player on the puck and if you want to grind and cycle (like a 4th line should) he could be valuable.

I didn't think he was invisible at all. I noticed him, especially in the second, protecting the puck well ,threw some hard checks , better than I was expecting , not at all invisible.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
People keep saying Ritchie was invisible but on the tying goal in the last seconds, he won like 3 puck battles along the boards. He's a strong player on the puck and if you want to grind and cycle (like a 4th line should) he could be valuable.
That's because they expect him to have 7 shots on goal along with a goal & an assist.

He was fine last night, in fact, he was good.

If I'm Boston, I'm looking to move Zboril.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
watched the first two periods but just couldn`t stomach the PBP and the feed itself, it was putrid. Saw what I expected to see, some of the kids, as Butch said, not hard enough on the pucks. Liked some of the board work done by Ritchie, liked elements of Studs game but overall, going up against a Devils team with far more regular NHL`ers, you could see the boys a touch over their heads. My first real look at Keyser and man was that kid impressive

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

In the offensive end he was very useful. Happened right in front of me and he's a bull down there. You can't really move him off the puck.. He get's possession and looks to pass it a little too quick IMO, his hands aren't great, but he's def a serviceable NHL 4th liner IMO... I wouldn't let him sniff line 3 though, but maybe with Coyle and Bjork it could work.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Deciding on a final roster is going to be super difficult this year.

If the rest of the pre-season plays out like last night there will be a lot of guys who deserve NHL time not getting it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad