Post-Game Talk: Preseason Game 1 - Dancin' with the Devil - Bruins @ Devils - 7pm ET - 98.5 The Sports Hub

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I’m really liking Paul Carey. Maybe he, Kuraly and Wags for the 4th line?
Yeah the little I did watch he looked good but who comes out ? Nordstrom ? I disliked Nordstrom immensely early in the year but he improved dramatically as the year went on and I loved his play in the playoffs. He was a beast sacrificing his body again and again .

Reactions: Bun Cook and nfld77

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Fitzgerald, Koppanen, Lantosi, Asselin, Woods,Didier,Breen,Sherman, Vladar to Providence
Keyser to Atlanta
Release Petrovic
Andersson and Lauko to the Q
Rest live another week
Interesting on Vladar after tonight.

More so that Keyser would be THE guy in Atlanta or you think Vladar is just better right now?

Last edited:

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Fitzgerald, Koppanen, Lantosi, Asselin, Woods,Didier,Breen,Sherman, Vladar to Providence
Keyser to Atlanta
Release Petrovic
Andersson and Lauko to the Q
Rest live another week

Is Lauko back to the "Q" more because you don't think he's ready? Too much talent in Providence already? Both?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
The Mac & Vaak Attack going to be good

If Carlo signs and the Bruins correctly extend Krug for under 7 M the Bruins 2020-21 D will be spectacular

Add in enough quality and quantity on sports 5-8 they should present advantage Bruins in third pair matchups and injury depth

Not being greedy just give me a Cup every 5 yrs starting in 2020

Reactions: bbfan419

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Little steps. The kids put up a pretty good fight. It's going to take the Bs a while to really warm up and get going this year, and gradually blend in their more senior players and bring them fully up to speed. Hopefully by mid-October it's all starting to really purr along nicely.

For now it's good to keep getting a decent look at the youngsters and see who's got it and who doesn't or just isn't ready yet. But I wouldn't write off the ones who struggled in this game just yet - they deserve at least a second crack before any real assessments are made. With Vladar particularly it's always harder coming into the game half-way through than starting, and while of course that's something that a good goalie needs to be able to do, I'd like to see how he goes starting at this level before making any sort of judgment on him.

Reactions: BMC

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Hughes scores twice for Devils in preseason debut

cut.jpg

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I like that Bruce is calling these guys out

Listen to Brady interview yesterday on WEEI Greg Hill Show. It applies here to what Cassidy is saying. Life’s best lessons often are learned from mistakes. Great teaching method and perfecf class room - a September night in New Jersey

Added bonus is you get two (Studnicka & Vaakanainen) for the price of one.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I really liked Studnicka...He has a lot of skill....Liked the Lauko, Freddy, Steen line...All will be bottom 6 guys in the NHL IMO one day. Freddy doesn't look as slow as tv but still slow to get to pucks...Carey, Gaunce, Blidh and Fitz are all AHL guys...don't see much but Carey good when he has the puck like someone else said. Ritchie, slow, but takes up space and decent digging pucks out, def not a third liner tho….I would bet Lindholm makes the team....Senny is a bottom six I guess at this point, works hard, just didn't see any type of offensive skill...

Defensively, Zboril meh, was good on one of the PP...Andersson is all over the place but has superior offensive skill, if they harness it he should be really good...Petro and Breen, AHL at best...Kampfer kinda looked like Bobby Orr. Vaak, meh, skates good and covered up for a horrible Petro most of the night, but he was ridiculously weak in the corners and along the boards, I hope he was maybe fighting a cold or something..I'm sure it's unusual.

Keyser was pretty good he really moves around economically...confident....Vladar didn't have a chance on some of his but missed one because I was admittedly checking out an angel in a Bruins jersey walking by.

Bruins treated Hughes like he was Wayne Gretzky which pissed me off...for a preseason game there wasn't much of anything, times have really changed. Other than Studnicka and Lindholm there wasn't anyone that seemed to be trying too hard to make the team...Lauko and Steen can prolly fit into that group too, as the Devils played a lot of NHL regulars.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Not sure why everyone is down on Zboril's performance. I thought he showed a lot of poise with the puck and was making things happen. He did have his characteristic mental lapses, but overall I thought his game was promising.

No one has even mentioned Fitzgerald, likely because he was invisible. He was one of the best players in Providence two years ago, and I thought he could challenge for a roster spot. Instead he has declined. What happened?

The top coaches for the Bruins (Cassidy, Sacco and Dean) need to get actively involved in the development of Frederic and Senyshyn. These players have all the tools, but they just are not improving. Frederic needs to be more involved in the play, and Senyshyn still needs a ton of work on positioning. Just doesn't seem like the Providence coaches have straightened them out.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Not sure why everyone is down on Zboril's performance. I thought he showed a lot of poise with the puck and was making things happen. He did have his characteristic mental lapses, but overall I thought his game was promising.

No one has even mentioned Fitzgerald, likely because he was invisible. He was one of the best players in Providence two years ago, and I thought he could challenge for a roster spot. Instead he has declined. What happened?

The top coaches for the Bruins (Cassidy, Sacco and Dean) need to get actively involved in the development of Frederic and Senyshyn. These players have all the tools, but they just are not improving. Frederic needs to be more involved in the play, and Senyshyn still needs a ton of work on positioning. Just doesn't seem like the Providence coaches have straightened them out.

Other than the 2 penalties I also liked what I saw from Zboril...Thinking he goes the distance / possible first call-up with any d injury.

I did notice Steen is adjusting to the smaller ice / something he struggled with in Buffalo.

Prospect Players who stood out this game...

Vaak, Steen, Zboril, Studnicka, Andersson

Other Players who stood out...
Gaunce (prospect?) - thought he was best of the forwards, Lindholm, Ritchie, Wags

Only game one of pre-season. So things will be sloppy / mix bag of players as well.

Looking forward to hearing thoughts on Cooper Zech - kid can play. He could make someone like a Zboril a tradeable asset.

Other players I'm excited to watch next pre-season game- Cameron Hughes, Kopponen next game.

Cehlarik - Gotta see if the kid has improved his skating and fighting to make bruin line-up or working his way out towards waiver pick-up.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

You don't think they have been?

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

Senyshyn - I questioned his hockey IQ first time I saw him play OHL. Nothing has ever improved with him since that time. I do want to give him credit for looking effective/comfortable playing his first game with the senior Bs. That was the first time I can say he looks much improved.

I want him to succeed - he has the tools, humble/nice kid, draft selection first rounder - we don't want to see the pick wasted. Hoping he proves his worth!

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Other than the 2 penalties I also liked what I saw from Zboril
I don't mean to single your comment out - it was just the latest one that made reference to two Zboril penalties.

It seems no one remembers that one of those penalties was for some dope pulling a Kesler right next to him, which earned said dope an embellishment penalty. And we all know the diver takes their confused victim to the box automatically, as no one can dive without a penalty being committed against them.

So, one valid penalty, at least in my book.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad