GDT: PRESEASON - Flames @ Oilers [1:00pm MT]

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Been killing them 5 on 5 for the most part. Stop me if you've heard this one but poor special teams and goaltending are the reason they're losing. The sins of the past coaching staff are not easily forgiven

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Well, this is not the outcome I was hoping to see on my way out of the gym. I think blowing a 3-1 lead generally rests more on the defense than the goaltending, although I didn't see the game.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
You can look at the stat line if you want. Would rather see **** goaltending in the pre-season, but nothing has convinced me that we are a-ok right now.
Both games on the 19th had solid goaltending. same with the 22nd. I liked what I saw from Smith last game too. That is sure as f*** more than "1 game" as you claimed.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Been killing them 5 on 5 for the most part. Stop me if you've heard this one but poor special teams and goaltending are the reason they're losing. The sins of the past coaching staff are not easily forgiven
Going 1 for 7 on the PP and 1 for 3 on the PK tends to be a recipe for disaster.

Reactions: flames23

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Both games on the 19th had solid goaltending. same with the 22nd. I liked what I saw from Smith last game too. That is sure as **** more than "1 game" as you claimed.

7 games with sub 900 goaltending. Look, I'll give us the benefit of the doubt, but not an exciting stat line.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
7 games with sub 900 goaltending. Look, I'll give us the benefit of the doubt, but not an exciting stat line.
There is more to hockey that stats with zero context.Try watching the f***ing games rather than staring at stats and thinking it tells the entire story. All you are doing is making yourself look like you have no idea what you are talking about.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
There is more to hockey that stats with zero context.Try watching the ****ing games rather than staring at stats and thinking it tells the entire story. All you are doing is making yourself look like you have no idea what you are talking about.

I've watched all the games this pre-season. Rittich has been mostly shaky as hell, and Smith has let in softies as well. Gillies actually hasn't been that bad, but he looks technically poor.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Bennett was the only one in a professional hockey game to realize the play wasn't dead because the Oilers brought it into their own zone and then he gained speed walked in and ripped it over the net lmao.

Meowmix

Apr 10, 2015
the Netherlands
If this is how we're going to play periods 2 and 3... on the plus side, Oilers looked beyond horrible as well. Hope both teams pick it up in the season.

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
Flames were clearly the better team, esp 5 on 5. Special teams needs some work. Clean up the PK and improve PP and they win the game.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
Yea, I don't put much stock in preseason performances when it comes to goalies, but Smith was quite poor today and quite poor overall during the preseason. The 2nd and 4th goals were quite bad. Especially the 4th goal

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
On the plus side, the Flames absolutely dominated the Oilers 5on5.

On the not so plus side, special teams is what killed us.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Lindholm, Hanifin, Giordano were excellent

I like Valimaki's instincts in the offensive zone but he looks like Dougie Hamilton inside his blue line. Always caught reaching. Andersson should win that spot. Mangiapane had a nose for goal but just no finish. Dube was better, all-around.

Bennett and Jankowski are being deployed like fourth liners rather than a "second 3rd line". Doesn't make any sense.

Ryan, Frolik and Tkachuk were awful. Gaudreau looked disinterested

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
It's clear to see that with the Flames, it's just a matter of pre-season intensity vs. regular season intensity. They start wanting to accomplish some things, they have objectives, they get themselves a lead, and the motivation goes away. As soon as they had something to work towards in this game, bam, we were the better team again.

You hope that as professionals, it isn't something that can become habit just because it's been constant during the pre-season.

I don't think there's any reason to be concerned with goaltending. Last pre-season was the exact same story, and Smith was our best player right from the start of the regular season. Besides, he isn't losing us anything. We allow goals during periods of play where we are getting hopelessly outplayed. We aren't leaking goals while controlling the play because of our goaltending.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Not going to lament too much over the preseason but the whole second half of the game was pretty sloppy. PP had a lot of chances to put this one away and couldn't get it done. Still not enough urgency, and I STILL hate Gaudreau above the circles. Figures he scores the second he comes below them.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00