GDT: PRESEASON - Flames @ Oilers [1:00pm MT]

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Yeah strangely enough RBA seems to be a good coach. He has the kids playing run and gun like dogs on raw meat and its worked in the preaseason at least.

So how are Lindholm and Hanafin working out?

We like this Hamilton guy. Great shot.

You could have a cardboard cut out of Bowman and that would be a great coach compared to Peters. I imagine you guys will have a big improvement this year just by getting rid of him.

Its preseason so always tough to judge guys but Lindholm seems to be developing chemistry with Monahan and Gaudreau which is promising.

Hanifin has impressed with his skating ability and hasn't done anything to make us anything but happy with him going forward.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
You could have a cardboard cut out of Bowman and that would be a great coach compared to Peters. I imagine you guys will have a big improvement this year just by getting rid of him.

Its preseason so always tough to judge guys but Lindholm seems to be developing chemistry with Monahan and Gaudreau which is promising.

Hanifin has impressed with his skating ability and hasn't done anything to make us anything but happy with him going forward.

What exactly have you learned from Peters based on the preseason that has led you to come to the conclusion that he’s an awful coach?

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
What exactly have you learned from Peters based on the preseason that has led you to come to the conclusion that he’s an awful coach?

It is based more on his 4 terrible years in Carolina than the limited time in pre-season that the opinion is based on. But in terms of the pre-season putting the 3M line together again is a pretty terrible way to start and listening to him talk in all his interviews since being hired you can tell he is a guy that is more about talk than actual results. He has a real snake oil salesman tone to him. Which could end up meaning nothing on the ice but coupled with his god awful record isn't a very positive sign.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
It is based more on his 4 terrible years in Carolina than the limited time in pre-season that the opinion is based on. But in terms of the pre-season putting the 3M line together again is a pretty terrible way to start and listening to him talk in all his interviews since being hired you can tell he is a guy that is more about talk than actual results. He has a real snake oil salesman tone to him. Which could end up meaning nothing on the ice but coupled with his god awful record isn't a very positive sign.

It comes off as you’re feeding this narrative on baseless conclusions. The problem in Carolina wasn’t Peters, it was ownership. They were a budget team that was not fully committed to winning. Having the worst goaltending for several seasons is going to sink any team, look at what happened here when we had Ramo and Hiller. That isn’t on Peters.

We have already seen a huge positive change in our dmen and forward play. You don’t like the idea of the 3M line staying together, but that hardly indicates Peters is a bad coach. You’re really reaching here and it’s very transparent.

Reactions: Janko Unchained

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
It comes off as you’re feeding this narrative on baseless conclusions. The problem in Carolina wasn’t Peters, it was ownership. They were a budget team that was not fully committed to winning. Having the worst goaltending for several seasons is going to sink any team, look at what happened here when we had Ramo and Hiller. That isn’t on Peters.

We have already seen a huge positive change in our dmen and forward play. You don’t like the idea of the 3M line staying together, but that hardly indicates Peters is a bad coach. You’re really reaching here and it’s very transparent.

I don't think that it has to be a one or the other thing with Peters and ownership, I think both were bad.

We really haven't seen anything as it is pre-season which basically means nothing. Peters has had 4 years in the NHL with 4 years out of the play-offs. I saw him in the WHL where outside of one fluke run his teams were never impressive at all. There really isn't much in Peters background to indicate that he will be a good coach other than he is "our guy" now.

How is it reaching to question a guy who is 0 for 4 in terms of making the play-offs? And even though I put little stock into fans opinions it isn't like Cane fans are lamenting him leaving. There are plenty of legitimate concerns when it comes to Peters as a NHL coach.

Reactions: Cyrano

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I don't think that it has to be a one or the other thing with Peters and ownership, I think both were bad.

We really haven't seen anything as it is pre-season which basically means nothing. Peters has had 4 years in the NHL with 4 years out of the play-offs. I saw him in the WHL where outside of one fluke run his teams were never impressive at all. There really isn't much in Peters background to indicate that he will be a good coach other than he is "our guy" now.

How is it reaching to question a guy who is 0 for 4 in terms of making the play-offs? And even though I put little stock into fans opinions it isn't like Cane fans are lamenting him leaving. There are plenty of legitimate concerns when it comes to Peters as a NHL coach.

Peters is a very respected coach in the hockey world, it’s why he’s coached for Team Canada on a couple of occasions. You said it yourself, it’s preseason and that was my point, none of us really have the information to make a claim one way or the other. If you’re going to base your opinion off of what fans say that haven’t had playoffs in quite sometime, I’m not so sure that’s the best source. Pretty much every fanbase trashes coaches or players on their own out.

It’s kind of like someone saying Gibbons was the reason the Jays missed the playoffs the last 2 years. A coach can only take a team so far (unless you’re Vegas), after a while averages level off and the most talented teams usually are the most successful. Treliving addressed that for us this off-season, there’s lots of reason to think Peters will succeed here.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Peters is a very respected coach in the hockey world, it’s why he’s coached for Team Canada on a couple of occasions. You said it yourself, it’s preseason and that was my point, none of us really have the information to make a claim one way or the other. If you’re going to base your opinion off of what fans say that haven’t had playoffs in quite sometime, I’m not so sure that’s the best source. Pretty much every fanbase trashes coaches or players on their own out.

It’s kind of like someone saying Gibbons was the reason the Jays missed the playoffs the last 2 years. A coach can only take a team so far (unless you’re Vegas), after a while averages level off and the most talented teams usually are the most successful. Treliving addressed that for us this off-season, there’s lots of reason to think Peters will succeed here.

Peters coached Team Canada because he had a relationship with Babcock that got him in the door and once in the door Team Canada goes with guys they know not because they are any good. Its why so many of the top coaches haven't coached for them.

I only brought the fans into because at least if they had said it was a bad firing there would be something to go on but instead they saw what is clear as day that Peters was part of the problem and the 0 for 4 was reflective of his coaching ability.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016

Your narrative really is nothing more than I don't like this guy. Peters had shown with Spokane he could take players and develop middling picks into a championship team. Did you even look at those teams?

Next he went to the Rockford Icehogs where he fed a very successful Chicago Blackhawks organization with prospect after prospect. Nobody has had the success that Chicago has over the last 10 years feeding their team with AHL graduates like CHicago has all while making it to the Calder Cup.

In Carolina Bill hit the brick wall a bit but many of the issues was to do with ownership stifling the team through a low cap and in his last year an owner that meddled with everything. Peters is a better coach than Gully or Hartley... Period.

Last edited:

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Your narrative really is nothing more than I don't like this guy. Peters had shown with Spokane he could take players and develop middling picks into a championship team. Did you even look at those teams?

Next he went to the Rockford Icehogs were he fed a very successful Chicago Blackhawks organization with prospect after prospect. Nobody has had the success that Chicago has over the last 10 years feeding their team with AHL graduates like CHicago has all while making it to the Calder Cup.

In Carolina Bill hit the brick wall a bit but much of the issues was to do with ownership stifling the team through a low cap and in his last year an owner that meddled with everything. Peters is a better coach than Gully or Hartley... Period.

No my narrative is that the guy has coached four years in the NHL and had four bad years in the NHL/ The fact that people want to try and spin it like that isn't a concern is out and out homerism. You can have a different opinion on how much of it was his fault but there is a reason for concern outside of not liking him.

Yes I saw his teams in Spokane, I had season tickets for a WHL team back then and followed the league quite a bit. They were not impressive at all.

He is a better coach than Hartley but that isn't saying much at all as I am not sure there is a worse coach anywhere than Hartley, whether he is better than GG is yet to be seen, which is pretty terrifying when you think how awful GG was.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
This is a coach that took a relative team of nobodies to the Memorial cup and won it all. Then he went to the Rockford Ice Hogs while Chicago was taking all his best player to the Calder cup both times. He then went on to coach with Mike Babcock and gained Bab's loyalty. A very hard thing to do.

Peters then wentto Carolina to a team in the midst of a rebuild trading away Eric Staal. Management never does anything to help with the aging Cam Ward who never returned to form. The Canes then trade for stud back-up Eddie Lack from Vancouver and then sign Scott Darling.... None of thegoalies work out and they sport a league consistent league worst save percentage. But yeah that is all on the coach. The homerism comes when people don't bother to analyze the full situation. Said people then just take little bits and pieces to support the deluded reality chosen for their narrative.

Mike Smith is not Cam ward to this Point and if Rittich or Gillies fail to impress early Tre will either sign a free agent or make a trade unlike what was happening in Carolina.

You only speak of what the perfect scenario for failure is and never look at the reality of the situation.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
This is a coach that took a relative team of nobodies to the Memorial cup and won it all. Then he went to the Rockford Ice Hogs while Chicago was taking all his best player to the Calder cup both times. He then went on to coach with Mike Babcock and gained Bab's loyalty. A very hard thing to do.

Peters then wentto Carolina to a team in the midst of a rebuild trading away Eric Staal. Management never does anything to help with the aging Cam Ward who never returned to form. The Canes then trade for stud back-up Eddie Lack from Vancouver and then sign Scott Darling.... None of thegoalies work out and they sport a league consistent league worst save percentage. But yeah that is all on the coach. The homerism comes when people don't bother to analyze the full situation. Said people then just take little bits and pieces to support the deluded reality chosen for their narrative.

Mike Smith is not Cam ward to this Point and if Rittich or Gillies fail to impress early Tre will either sign a free agent or make a trade unlike what was happening in Carolina.

You only speak of what the perfect scenario for failure is and never look at the reality of the situation.

He gained Babcocks loyalty from coaching together when they were younger not in Detroit.

I speak of what actually happened not in spin to try and make it look better because this crappy coach is in Calgary now.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
To add to what SKR said, Lidstrom is a fan of Peters and like I said, he’s respected in the hockey world for a reason. Everyone that knows Peters both current and former players all comment on how smart of a coach he is. Then you look how he holds his players accountable, he has the makings to be an elite coach with the right roster.

Coach Q never won until he got Toews, Kane, and Seabrook. I’m excited to see what Peters is going to do with a team that has the kind of depth the Flames have.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Do we? There are plenty of vets on the top two pairs, and Andersson may not be an NHL vet but this will be his third year of pro hockey. I understand the desire to have the new kids come in and play with an older guy who can help them acclimatize, but I also think that pairing is overblown at times. Especially if we're looking at guys like Michael Stone, who stick in the league in spite of their on-ice decision making, rather than because of it.

I'd just have liked if one of these guys who's been in the NHL, looked like a viable NHL option is all.

All three guys have been very subpar in preseason.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
This is going to be Peters' first successful stint in the NHL. Doesn't matter to me. All I know is the team is playing a better style now than last year. I don't care what happened to Carolina with their goaltending and roster.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I'd just have liked if one of these guys who's been in the NHL, looked like a viable NHL option is all.

All three guys have been very subpar in preseason.

From everything that I have seen of Valimaki and Andersson I expect by seasons end both will be in the line-up while Stone finds himself sitting in the press box. The talent and skill Andersson and Valimaki possess are leaps and bounds ahead of Stone. Both skate way better than Stone and both have better defensive positioning than Stone who has been in the league for 6 years. I will argue that both Andersson and Valimaki break out better than Stone and Valimaki's strong offensive side has the potential to be a #1 defenseman down the road.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Peters is a monumental upgrade. His demeanour and leadership alone will make us better. Plus he’s got better Xs and Os than Gully. He’s got better players than he had in Carolina. He’s got a number one goalie.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Yeah strangely enough RBA seems to be a good coach. He has the kids playing run and gun like dogs on raw meat and its worked in the preaseason at least.

So how are Lindholm and Hanafin working out?

We like this Hamilton guy. Great shot.

Oh the run and gun thing is a breath of fresh air for sure. I read about the criticisms about Peters in Carolina, and it crazy to essentially conclude that though Canes fans feel his game is still unchanged and boring, Flames fans have quickly concluded it's a less restrictive style than what Gully had the roster playing in the previous season and a major upgrade and fit. RBA's style is highly entertaining hockey, but the question is always about sustainability in terms of a how long it takes to develop a play book against the team or injuries or tuning out the coach.

We are liking what we see of Lindholm and Hanifin so far. Many of our fans feel the criticisms levied against Lindholm and Hanifin aren't quite what we have seen so far, especially Hanifin. I wonder if it's because there's an extra skip in their step, or if the roster has allowed them to play in a way that's slightly different than Carolina (ie: Less defensive responsibilities as it's spread out over more players).

I think Hanifin has solidified his position in the top 4. Lindholm on the other hand there's still a ton of debate because our top 9 can easily be mixed in a blender, but I think in general, most of us are happy with him. He seems criticized a little more than Hanifin so far, but I think that's just purely because of the debate and criticisms of the line combos in the top 9 right now. Even Neal has been played as low as the 3rd line as Peters figures out combos and chemistry. Many of our fans have also taken a liking to Ryan so far. Good player reminiscent of Stajan when he was good.

It's great to hear that you guys are liking Hamilton. I heard good things about Ferland as well, even though he was benched for a few games. But it seemed more like Ferland was a lock for the NHL roster and RBA and management wanted to evaluate a handful of prospects for the NHL roster vs sending them down. To me, it sounds like a win win trade so far for both teams which is awesome.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Something we should keep in mind, Seth Jones was buried on Nashville his first few years. Many thought he was a disappointment because he wasn’t getting the minutes to flourish. In Carolina, Faulk, Slavin and Pesce were the ones getting the prime minutes. Hanifin is going to blow up here because he’s going to essentially going to get the opportunity to grow into our #1 Dman.

Reactions: OvermanKingGainer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->