GDT: PRESEASON - Flames @ Oilers [1:00pm MT]

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Not going to lament too much over the preseason but the whole second half of the game was pretty sloppy. PP had a lot of chances to put this one away and couldn't get it done. Still not enough urgency, and I STILL hate Gaudreau above the circles. Figures he scores the second he comes below them.
So tired of the Gaudreau slapper from the left wall

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
Seriously. He's so much more dangerous down low where his vision and his quick hands and feet might actually be an asset. Instead they have him trying to feather passes through two or three defenders.

Agreed. Hope they figure out(early) during the season. Really want to see one timer options too on the PP. Guys like Neal with great shots especially. Always wonder why we haven't utilized that yet.

Reactions: Bounces R Way

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Yea, I don't put much stock in preseason performances when it comes to goalies, but Smith was quite poor today and quite poor overall during the preseason. The 2nd and 4th goals were quite bad. Especially the 4th goal

It's a preseason so it doesnt matter but Smith hasnt been good. The offense have improved, the defense is OK but if Smith is not playing like a number 1 goalie, good bye BT next summer.

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
It's a preseason so it doesnt matter but Smith hasnt been good. The offense have improved, the defense is OK but if Smith is not playing like a number 1 goalie, good bye BT next summer.

If smith stumbles out of the gate my guess is we’ll see a desperation back up trade. Similar to what the wild did when the acquired dubnyk. Luckily for them it paid off

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Fun but weird game.

Not sure who you cut at this time in terms of youth.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
The ol' 35-15 shot adv and 4-3 oil? Welp, iron out these rusty tender kinks in the pre-season then. From an entertainment perspective it looks like we can expect 7-10 goals per game. Hartley is smilin' somewhere.

It's like someone popped in EA's NHL 19 to play a game and this was the outcome, completely outplay them (from what I have heard I didn't watch the game), out shoot them, more PP's, but lose 4-3 because EA, though now it's because Flames.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
We didn't watch this game in Raleigh, but we have taken note of the stat line. Dominate possession, outshoot opponent massively, lose by one goal. Welcome to Bill Peters hockey. Yikes.

For the first 2 years, we were like "its not the coaches fault, we just need the right players", and then the same thing kept happening over and over. I hope your players can overcome his coaching.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
We didn't watch this game in Raleigh, but we have taken note of the stat line. Dominate possession, outshoot opponent massively, lose by one goal. Welcome to Bill Peters hockey. Yikes.

For the first 2 years, we were like "its not the coaches fault, we just need the right players", and then the same thing kept happening over and over. I hope your players can overcome his coaching.
The Hurricanes problem was cheap ownership, terrible goaltending and a lack of offensive talent. You wouldn't have come close to the playoffs if it weren't for Peters.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015

If anything, it's the defense that has sunk us. But the mistakes have come from guys that have either been released, sent down, or about to be sent down. Our top guys have been good, albeit guilty of looking disinterested for long stretches of the game, which is about all you can ask for during pre-season.

As for this game in particular, we definitely let up after the first and lost the game due to our special teams.

It's funny, this has probably been our most cohesive pre-season in years despite the losses. The biggest criticism of Peters that I can currently think of is the over-experimentation with Ryan on the PP and the lack of ice time given to Bennett and Jankowski

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

Bolded is clear from the rest of your post.

Two of Edmonton's goals were scored on flukey bounces off our own guys, their 4 on 4 GWG should never have happened as the penalty to end our PP never happened, and their lone "real" goal was a PP goal - and I'm pretty sure Peters had a very successful PK in Carolina so if it happens, you live with it but it doesn't seem to be a pattern in his coaching. We scored three goals which should have been enough to win if Edmonton wasn't very fortuitous and the referees didn't decide to manufacture a call during our power play.

Of course the Flames weren't at their best today - it was a preseason game with Brodie, Monahan, Neal, and Tkachuk in period 3 not playing.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Bolded is clear from the rest of your post.

Two of Edmonton's goals were scored on flukey bounces off our own guys, their 4 on 4 GWG should never have happened as the penalty to end our PP never happened, and their lone "real" goal was a PP goal - and I'm pretty sure Peters had a very successful PK in Carolina so if it happens, you live with it but it doesn't seem to be a pattern in his coaching. We scored three goals which should have been enough to win if Edmonton wasn't very fortuitous and the referees didn't decide to manufacture a call during our power play.

Of course the Flames weren't at their best today - it was a preseason game with Brodie, Monahan, Neal, and Tkachuk in period 3 not playing.

Well I hope he works out for you guys. The box score seemed eerily reminiscient of how all our hopes and dreams were dashed over the past several years.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Well I hope he works out for you guys. The box score seemed eerily reminiscient of how all our hopes and dreams were dashed over the past several years.

As with any coach, there are red flags - his under-use of Bennett and the somewhat sketchy power play - but we're already seeing a team playing much more entertaining, uptempo hockey than the stand & cycle trash we had to suffer for the last two years.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I think you demote Valimaki, waive Prout and play Andersson with Stone opening night

Valimaki is having himself a helluva preseason. I think a year in the AHL wouldn’t hurt him at all, but he’s been impressive as hell.

Honestly, Kulak, Prout and Stone have been rubbish this preseason. And that sucks, because we need some veteran guidance.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Valimaki is having himself a helluva preseason. I think a year in the AHL wouldn’t hurt him at all, but he’s been impressive as hell.

Honestly, Kulak, Prout and Stone have been rubbish this preseason. And that sucks, because we need some veteran guidance.

I think Valimaki gets sent down to get top pairing AHL minutes, and Kulak will either be waived or traded this season. Stone will probably be traded during the offseason. Which makes the 19/20 pairings as:

Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Hamonic
Valimaki - Andersson

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Is Lindholm going to be on the first PP unit when season starts?

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

I honestly think he will be fine. I hear that Carolina is happy with RBA as coach. That's great.

In all seriousness and I don't think many Canes fans have realized this, but many of us Flames fans have noticed a significant improvement in our offensive pressure after Gully's departure. That perhaps says a lot of what type of system we were looking at if we think the offense is improved under Peters.

The team is still getting used to the new system and still learning to gel. There has been a significant change in the personnel in our top 9 as well as our defense. Sprinkle in the prospects looking for a fit on the NHL roster and there's additional personnel differences to figure out. I'm not too worried. But I am going to say that I want to see good results by game 10. If anything, maybe we Flames fan should start tracking the team in 7 game splits like Hartley used to do.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

Do we? There are plenty of vets on the top two pairs, and Andersson may not be an NHL vet but this will be his third year of pro hockey. I understand the desire to have the new kids come in and play with an older guy who can help them acclimatize, but I also think that pairing is overblown at times. Especially if we're looking at guys like Michael Stone, who stick in the league in spite of their on-ice decision making, rather than because of it.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I honestly think he will be fine. I hear that Carolina is happy with RBA as coach. That's great.

In all seriousness and I don't think many Canes fans have realized this, but many of us Flames fans have noticed a significant improvement in our offensive pressure after Gully's departure. That perhaps says a lot of what type of system we were looking at if we think the offense is improved under Peters.

The team is still getting used to the new system and still learning to gel. There has been a significant change in the personnel in our top 9 as well as our defense. Sprinkle in the prospects looking for a fit on the NHL roster and there's additional personnel differences to figure out. I'm not too worried. But I am going to say that I want to see good results by game 10. If anything, maybe we Flames fan should start tracking the team in 7 game splits like Hartley used to do.

Yeah strangely enough RBA seems to be a good coach. He has the kids playing run and gun like dogs on raw meat and its worked in the preaseason at least.

So how are Lindholm and Hanafin working out?

We like this Hamilton guy. Great shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad