GDT: Preseason: Devils @ Flyers in East Jibit, PA

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
this PP is garbage

If Josefson is on it, it should definitely be pumping out more!:sarcasm:

I'm not surprised by the lack of offense with the lineup we have dressed tonight.

Josefson is the best forward I saw listed in tonight's lineup, that actually has NHL experience. That's how poor the forward lineup is tonight.

hutter

Mar 6, 2014
The problem is that the goalies that flop around these days, are not very good at the NHL level. Pavelec being the most famous example. And Wedgewood wasn't even good at the AHL level until last year. I think too many people are forgetting or wanna forget that he stunk prior to last season. Like he was literally one of the worst pro goaltenders in North America, that's not exaggeration either. I think last season the fact that he finally had a good season, probably saved him from us possibly not tendering him altogether this year.

And I'm not Kinkaid fan either, he was BAD last year. The problem is that Wedgewood was even worse in the prior years.

Don't get me wrong. I hope he can TAKE the job, not that it is given to him lol.

At the same time, last year wasn't just a good season for him. It was a great season, and caught him up to where he had to be for his age. If he can repeat it, fine by me.

And though Quick isn't all that good now, he did have success with all the flopping for a decent run. Obviously still was very good positionally though.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
If Josefson is on it, it should definitely be pumping out more!:sarcasm:

I'm not surprised by the lack of offense with the lineup we have dressed tonight.

Josefson is the best forward I saw listed in tonight's lineup, that actually has NHL experience. That's how poor the forward lineup is tonight.

Plus the undrafted kid playing top pairing minutes with Severson does not look very good

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Severson has played all of 123 games in the NHL, so I'm not too concered about him not "taking over" a game playing with basically our AHL team in a preseason game.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
It's too bad Gignac had to play on this squad and not tomorrows. Also figures that I can watch this game, but not tomorrows game.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This is the jobber team, when Blandisi and Josefson are your "NHL veterans" for the night you know you're going to be in trouble.
Forgot about Blandisi. It pretty much is Blandisi, a bunch of guys that aren't NHL ready or even pro ready, almost enough to make up 2 lines of AHL caliber/never will be NHL players and Jacob Josefson. Jobber team is actually a very good name for it, I like that one!:handclap::laugh:
Don't get me wrong. I hope he can TAKE the job, not that it is given to him lol.

At the same time, last year wasn't just a good season for him. It was a great season, and caught him up to where he had to be for his age. If he can repeat it, fine by me.

And though Quick isn't all that good now, he did have success with all the flopping for a decent run. Obviously still was very good positionally though.
One startling thing was that Wedgewood seemed to regress in the playoffs. Usually I don't put much stock into small sample sizes like that, as we've seen plenty of good goaltenders have bad playoffs. Marty has had a few, Lundqvist has had a couple poor playoffs and one just this most recent Spring. But the alarming thing with Wedgewood was that he played fewer games in the regular season last year than in other years. So I'm worried that his dip in play in the playoffs might have been him regressing to what he was in previous seasons when he played 50+ regular season games. Regardless, he still never looked as good after 45-ish games at any point in his pro career as he did last year, even when you take into account the poor playoffs. Which is definitely at least a positive step.

Kinkaid was god awful last year. I only gave him a C- or D+ grade because he had to step into a role that probably exceeded his capabilities, when Cory got injured and he had to play more. If he had played like that as a backup ONLY, I would have given him a D-. I was one of the few posters complaining about him going all the way back to October and November of last year and never trusted him. I think he had 2 consecutive good games twice, all season long. The shootout loss to Toronto and shutout against LAK, then the shutout against San Jose and 2-1 OT win against LAK. It's not even just that Cory is really great and so much better than Kinkaid, it's the fact that Kinkaid was a liability last year when he played, especially for a team that can't score and loses so many games where the goaltender (Cory) plays lights out. There's no doubt in my mind that he would have stunk up the joint in a couple of those other games if Wedgewood wasn't called up.
Plus the undrafted kid playing top pairing minutes with Severson does not look very good

Who is that? Not even sure, since I can't watch the game live. Thanks again for the blackout!:shakehead:rant:

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Honestly it looks like the team lost the will to play after the first. They have looked pretty lax since then. Since then, the flyers upped the intensity and the Devils put it on cruise control.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Forgot about Blandisi. It pretty much is Blandisi, a bunch of guys that aren't NHL ready or even pro ready, almost enough to make up 2 lines of AHL caliber/never will be NHL players and Jacob Josefson. Jobber team is actually a very good name for it, I like that one!:handclap::laugh:

One startling thing was that Wedgewood seemed to regress in the playoffs. Usually I don't put much stock into small sample sizes like that, as we've seen plenty of good goaltenders have bad playoffs. Marty has had a few, Lundqvist has had a couple poor playoffs and one just this most recent Spring. But the alarming thing with Wedgewood was that he played fewer games in the regular season last year than in other years. So I'm worried that his dip in play in the playoffs might have been him regressing to what he was in previous seasons when he played 50+ regular season games. Regardless, he still never looked as good after 45-ish games at any point in his pro career as he did last year, even when you take into account the poor playoffs. Which is definitely at least a positive step.

Kinkaid was god awful last year. I only gave him a C- or D+ grade because he had to step into a role that probably exceeded his capabilities, when Cory got injured and he had to play more. If he had played like that as a backup ONLY, I would have given him a D-. I was one of the few posters complaining about him going all the way back to October and November of last year and never trusted him. I think he had 2 consecutive good games twice, all season long. The shootout loss to Toronto and shutout against LAK, then the shutout against San Jose and 2-1 OT win against LAK. It's not even just that Cory is really great and so much better than Kinkaid, it's the fact that Kinkaid was a liability last year when he played, especially for a team that can't score and loses so many games where the goaltender (Cory) plays lights out. There's no doubt in my mind that he would have stunk up the joint in a couple of those other games if Wedgewood wasn't called up.

Who is that? Not even sure, since I can't watch the game live. Thanks again for the blackout!:shakehead:rant:

Colby Sissons

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND

I still say that Lindback has a very really shot of making this team as the back up, and he honestly isn't any worse than the other 2 options.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
This game has been hit or miss for Merrill, but that's what I've come to expect from him.

His career is defined by inconsistency, both shift to shift and game to game. That's just the player he is, no need to bury the guy for being limited.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I still say that Lindback has a very really shot of making this team as the back up, and he honestly isn't any worse than the other 2 options.

I really disagree very strongly.

Lindback has been the worst goaltender in the NHL over the last 4 seasons, the stats will completely back me up on that.

That's not even a compliment to Wedgewood or Kinkaid, as much as it's an indictment on how incredibly terrible Lindback is.

Everywhere Lindback plays, he's been brutal. With the exception of his 16 games with Buffalo 2 years ago, in which they only traded for him because he gave them the best possible chance of losing. But even that year, that appeared to just be the percentages progressing to the mean, after having an .875 save percentage for 10 games with Dallas that year. Lindback probably wasn't bad enough to be an .875 goaltender, he's more of an .890-.902 type guy. Which is still awful and even worse than Kinkaid last year.

The other two goalies we already have signed are huge question marks, whereas there are no question marks remaining with Lindback. He's a BRUTAL goaltender at the NHL level. Kinkaid deserves more of a benefit of the doubt because he has one solid NHL season and one bad one. Wedgewood deserves more of a benefit of the doubt because he's just come off one very good pro season. Despite nothing but bad one's before that. Now I don't have much faith in either of them, but Lindback hasn't had even an average NHL season since 2011-2012.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Good 1st but no finish.

Mishmash AHL lineup but I was not happy with our NHL guys tonight.
Nor blandisi.

Tomorrows game I'm more interested in.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Good 1st but no finish.

Mishmash AHL lineup but I was not happy with our NHL guys tonight.
Nor blandisi.

Tomorrows game I'm more interested in.

No finish? We could offer a contract to Ruutu now, if we give him one before Vancouver does.

Just saying!:sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad