GDT: Preseason 3a & 3b - Canes vs Cats & Bolts - Because why not

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
I really only need to keep me from climbing a ladder against a tree with a corded chainsaw. Again.
I bought one for attacking the roots of some shrubs/bushes in front of my house. Worked great but my hands were wrecked for a couple days from the few hours of vibrations. If you can get your hands on some pruning blades it will definitely replace that chainsaw for the smaller stuff. I also have a cordless chainsaw that I’m super impressed with too. They aren’t ryobi but a similar brand over here (kobalt)

Reactions: DaveG and Lempo

hockeynjune

CAT4 and RI TAKE SHELTER NOW
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2021
hah. At my farm this spring, a large tree broke 1/2 way up and was still attached, but dangling down across the driveway. Only way I could reach it was by jumping in the bucket of my tractor with my wife at the controls. She lifted me as high as the bucket would go and I cut the dangling tree with a chain saw. Not a fun task.
BTDT many times , she got pretty good at it. We have a Moffett and a cage now so much easier.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I have no idea why that dude is still in our system. He sucks and we have even more depth now. In no way should he be sitting in the box ahead of Chatfield. In fact I worry about chatty sitting too much. Just waive his ass if no one wants him
IKR. What is even stranger is the relentless fixation on this board for this middling player, that he is somehow some kind of diamond in the rough just waiting to breakout. And this in a system that has way too many defensemen as it is, all of them dramatically more talented than this guy. Truly fascinating psychodrama to watch.

That's not my experience. Ryobi is mostly fine for being relatively inexpensive stuff, but it's not great by any means. I've had:

Cordless drill: underpowered and batteries died early on. This was back when it was a 12V though so haven't tried a newer one. I suspect the newer 18V are better.
18V Cordless trim router: Absolutely sucks and almost unusable. Really bad product. The balance is terrible on it. The router bit wanders over time. Just not well designed or built.
18V Cordless blower: Works fine and I like it.
40V Cordless Hedge Trimmer: Liked it and it worked well..for a year. Then it stopped working after 1 year of light use. Trying to get them to fix it under warranty now which has been a hassle.
18V Cordless Jig Saw: Average. It does the job for a quick or rough cut, but for anything with some precision, it's not very good. I reach for my corded Bosch way more. Even my 20 year old corded Dewalt is better.
Corded Random Orbital Sander: Below average. Not as bad as the Ridgid, but not good for any fine finishing. Never use it any more.
Gas Pressure washer: Works fine, no complaints. Honda engine had an issue where I had to rebuild the carburetor after just 1 season, but I don't put that on Ryobi.

I suspect the reciprocating saw that Lempo has will be fine as those are for rough work.

I don't think I'll buy another Ryobi. Just too much inconsistency in the products.

Wow, well I guess I'll defer to your judgement since my home improvement operations are nowhere near as prolific. All I have is the long ass tree trimmer which is great for the ridiculous amount of shaped bushes and trees and have in my yard, the pressure washer, and a weed whacker. All of which work fine.

Reactions: DaveG and MinJaBen

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
IKR. What is even stranger is the relentless fixation on this board for this middling player, that he is somehow some kind of diamond in the rough just waiting to breakout. And this in a system that has way too many defensemen as it is, all of them dramatically more talented than this guy. Truly fascinating psychodrama to watch.

I swear sometimes you just make shit up so you can complain about it. Probably 90% (or higher) of the board thinks Coghlan sucks. At BEST he's #8 or#9 on this roster and will likely be waived and buried in the minors (or put in the press box). The guy only played 17 games for Carolina last year even with injuries. He couldn't beat out CDH.

Yet somehow, you've turned that into a scenario where the "board" has a fixation for this middling player and think highly of him.

It's truly a fascinating psychodrama to watch for sure, but not the psychodrama you are pretending it to be.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
I swear sometimes you just make shit up so you can complain about it. Probably 90% (or higher) of the board thinks Coghlan sucks. At BEST he's #8 or#9 on this roster and will likely be waived and buried in the minors (or put in the press box). The guy only played 17 games for Carolina last year even with injuries. He couldn't beat out CDH.

Yet somehow, you've turned that into a scenario where the "board" has a fixation for this middling player and think highly of him.

It's truly a fascinating psychodrama to watch for sure, but not the psychodrama you are pretending it to be.
I thought Negan was referencing Chatfield not Coghlan.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I don't think so.

The post of Borsig's he quoted was about Coghlan.

HISTORY:
- BlueLineBomber posted a tweet about a flub Coghlan had.
- Borsig responded to BlueLineBomber's post and asked why Coghlan was still in the system and the dude needed to be waived. In fact, he said he was worried about Chatfield sitting too much. It was definitely about Coghlan.
- Negan then responded with IKR, and went on his rant about the board's fixation for middling players like him (Coghlan).

I'm with Borsig on this, but I don't think it's a big deal because he (Coghlan) won't play before Chatfield or DeAngelo. That mean's he'll be waived/buried/traded or be a figure in the box. He played only 17 games last year when our D wasn't as deep as it is today.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC

He's not even taking a spot from someone in the minors, because there isn't an AHL team this year. At least some defensive prospects will be in Europe this year anyway, so another body to call up in case flu / Covid hits the team is better than not having a player you can call up.

This isn't like Bear last year where Bear was taking up cap space even if you waived him. Coghlan will either be waived or be in the press box most of the season. And if he's in the press box it's because he beat Jones out for a spot; good for him.

If he's sent down, it's $850K Dundon is paying for an AHL player. Doesn't affect the cap, so it means next to nothing to us. If he stays in the press box over Jones, it's a difference of ~$90K against the cap. Minimal difference for a #8 defenseman.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Wow, well I guess I'll defer to your judgement since my home improvement operations are nowhere near as prolific. All I have is the long ass tree trimmer which is great for the ridiculous amount of shaped bushes and trees and have in my yard, the pressure washer, and a weed whacker. All of which work fine.
I think for things that don't require precision, Ryobi is decent. My blower, pressure washer and hedge trimmer (until it died) all worked just fine. Things that require more precision (router, sander, jig saw), they are substandard IMO.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Yeah I'm with you. I bought a Ryobi Pressure Washer (with an extending wand) that's left me a little disappointed. It worked fine, but when you put the extending wand on it, it "Over Blasted" so to speak. Seriously damaged my windows as the pressure levels went way too high.

Nothing that couldn't be fixed, and the pressure washer itself is perfectly fine, but just a fair warning that a Ryobi Wand can OB.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I’m a big makita guy myself
I like Makita as well. I used to belong to a shared workspace so I got to try a lot of different brands over the years. Here's my personal, not so unbiased experience. I haven't OWNED all these tools but in most cases, have used extensively.

Festool: Outstanding tools, but outrageous pricing. IMO, their sander, dust extractor and a couple other tools are worth the price, but most of the time, they aren't worth the price. The 3M sander is awesome (but expensive) as well.
Bosch: a bit higher priced than most (not as high as Festool). Excellent sanders, chop saws, jig saws and even routers. I've used a lot of their tools but only own a Jigsaw and router. Never been disappointed by a Bosch tool.
Makita: Good workhorse for the price. Decent quality (not as good now that it's made in China, but that goes for most brands.). I have a 12 year old compound miter saw, a 12" planer (probably > 10 years old as well), an electric hand planer, a drill, a circular saw, and a track saw. Very happy with all of them. I've used their sanders in the past and they are decent.
DeWalt: Similar to Makita. I like their drills better than Makita, but I like the Makita chop saw better than Dewalt. Dewalt's portable planer is a great unit and the standard for portable planers.
Milwaukee: Never owned one and only used their reciprocating saw. I assume they are like DeWalt and Makita, but don't know.
Porter Cable: 20+ years ago, this was my goto brand. I still have a 5" RO sander that is 20+ years old, and two routers which are about the same age and work horses. They've phased out of the routers and I haven't purchased any of their tools recently so can't say.
Ryobi: Mentioned it in my prior post
Ridgid (Home Depot): I have number of cordless tools (Drills, Recip. saw, multi-tool) that I like. I have a belt sander, a sanding station and a compressor I like. I have two Random Orbital Sanders that are the worst tools I've ever owned. Terrible products.
EGO: Once my Ryobi hedge trimmer died, I needed a replacement so got an EGO that allows multiple heads. Have a pole saw and hedge trimmer attachments only. Really like these products, but less than 1 year of use so far.

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine
I like Makita as well. I used to belong to a shared workspace so I got to try a lot of different brands over the years. Here's my personal, not so unbiased experience. I haven't OWNED all these tools but in most cases, have used extensively.

Festool: Outstanding tools, but outrageous pricing. IMO, their sander, dust extractor and a couple other tools are worth the price, but most of the time, they aren't worth the price. The 3M sander is awesome (but expensive) as well.
Bosch: a bit higher priced than most (not as high as Festool). Excellent sanders, chop saws, jig saws and even routers. I've used a lot of their tools but only own a Jigsaw and router. Never been disappointed by a Bosch tool.
Makita: Good workhorse for the price. Decent quality (not as good now that it's made in China, but that goes for most brands.). I have a 12 year old compound miter saw, a 12" planer (probably > 10 years old as well), an electric hand planer, a drill, a circular saw, and a track saw. Very happy with all of them. I've used their sanders in the past and they are decent.
DeWalt: Similar to Makita. I like their drills better than Makita, but I like the Makita chop saw better than Dewalt. Dewalt's portable planer is a great unit and the standard for portable planers.
Milwaukee: Never owned one and only used their reciprocating saw. I assume they are like DeWalt and Makita, but don't know.
Porter Cable: 20+ years ago, this was my goto brand. I still have a 5" RO sander that is 20+ years old, and two routers which are about the same age and work horses. They've phased out of the routers and I haven't purchased any of their tools recently so can't say.
Ryobi: Mentioned it in my prior post
Ridgid (Home Depot): I have number of cordless tools (Drills, Recip. saw, multi-tool) that I like. I have a belt sander, a sanding station and a compressor I like. I have two Random Orbital Sanders that are the worst tools I've ever owned. Terrible products.
EGO: Once my Ryobi hedge trimmer died, I needed a replacement so got an EGO that allows multiple heads. Have a pole saw and hedge trimmer attachments only. Really like these products, but less than 1 year of use so far.

I've gone through two 18V Ryobi weed eaters in five years. Just general yard use, light trimming (not using it to cut the whole yard lol). Both are now dead. I *could* send the latest one in for a fix I guess, but it's probably not worth it. Still...I might have to buy one more because now I have all these damn batteries. Stupid me.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC

You don't have to get all worked up just because I like to paint with a broad brush. IDK what percentage of the board likes him, but I have seen a lot of apologists for him. Which I just don't get considering everything you yourself have pointed out.

No, I thought we were talking about Coghlan. I've come to kind of appreciate Chatfield.

Reactions: MinJaBen

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
You don't have to get all worked up just because I like to paint with a broad brush. IDK what percentage of the board likes him, but I have seen a lot of apologists for him. Which I just don't get considering everything you yourself have pointed out.
:laugh: Not getting worked up. I just like pointing out when you make absurd statements like this that aren't based in reality. Once again, you are making it up to say you've seen "A lot" of apologists for him. that's just not happening on this board. A couple? sure, but that's about it.

Vast majority feel he's at best a #7 and with who we have signed right now, more like an 8 or 9.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I've gone through two 18V Ryobi weed eaters in five years. Just general yard use, light trimming (not using it to cut the whole yard lol). Both are now dead. I *could* send the latest one in for a fix I guess, but it's probably not worth it. Still...I might have to buy one more because now I have all these damn batteries. Stupid me.
Only problem with electric tools, once you buy one you kinda have to stick with that brand because of the batteries. I have Rigid tools (drill, grinder, circular saw, etc), then I have 24V Kobalt (hedge trimmer, pole saw, leaf blower). You can't really switch brands unless you want to switch everything as a result. It's kinda why I'm not hopping on EV yet, until the batteries are standardized and the plugs/charging are standardized, you're just a few years from what you have becoming obselete and costing $20k to upgrade/replace. Be nice if we could just make all these batteries universal

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
eh closest I've ever seen to someone apologizing for Coghlan is saying he may have some untapped potential offensively. Guy is clearly waiver fodder when the rest of the defensive group is:

Slavin - Burns
Skjei - Pesce
Orlov - TDA
Chatfield

he's probably below Jones in the pecking order as well at this point.

Coghlan is another quad A guy that won't be getting more than a handful of games this year baring a major pandemic hitting most of the team or something. No impact on our cap situation, which is why I was pissed off that Bear was qualified last year but couldn't give a f*** this year. He costs us nothing so I really don't care when he ends up not making our top 7, because he can go down to whatever AHL team we loan him to with no issues. Bear was different because even waiving the guy to send him down would have been over a million in cap hit, THAT was annoying.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
eh closest I've ever seen to someone apologizing for Coghlan is saying he may have some untapped potential offensively. Guy is clearly waiver fodder when the rest of the defensive group is:

Slavin - Burns
Skjei - Pesce
Orlov - TDA
Chatfield

he's probably below Jones in the pecking order as well at this point.

Coghlan is another quad A guy that won't be getting more than a handful of games this year baring a major pandemic hitting most of the team or something. No impact on our cap situation, which is why I was pissed off that Bear was qualified last year but couldn't give a f*** this year. He costs us nothing so I really don't care when he ends up not making our top 7, because he can go down to whatever AHL team we loan him to with no issues. Bear was different because even waiving the guy to send him down would have been over a million in cap hit, THAT was annoying.
That is far more generous to him than I would be. He's not AAAA, he's AAA at best. He's looked utterly incompetent 95% of the time he's been on NHL ice for us. Yeah, he's had a few games where he looked not-incompetent, but Jeff Hamilton had a stretch of a dozen games where he looked like Paul Coffey the same year he bombed out of the league entirely. Any pro can have a good run for a couple games, and even Coghlan's best runs have been replacement level. Guys like McKeown who we were discussing elsewhere are far better. Coghlan is worth less than what we paid for him, and it is utterly baffling to me that we re-signed him even at a hair above minimum.

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine
Only problem with electric tools, once you buy one you kinda have to stick with that brand because of the batteries. I have Rigid tools (drill, grinder, circular saw, etc), then I have 24V Kobalt (hedge trimmer, pole saw, leaf blower). You can't really switch brands unless you want to switch everything as a result. It's kinda why I'm not hopping on EV yet, until the batteries are standardized and the plugs/charging are standardized, you're just a few years from what you have becoming obselete and costing $20k to upgrade/replace. Be nice if we could just make all these batteries universal

All good, and agreed. Thing is, I'm probably a just a few years from paying someone to come and doo all the yardwork anyway, so if I buy another Ryobi and it gives me three summers? That'll work.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
How do you like the pole saw? I have the 24v 12” chainsaw and it kinda rules for my lightweight usage. I’ve been putting off doing my fence line and it’s getting pretty bad these days

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Powerhouses with a price tag to match. The reason why my co-worker offloaded his Ryobis on me was that he once watched a maintenance man of our factory use a Milwaukee drill at work. The 230 pound man put his weight on the drill and started pushing it into solid bit of steel and the drill didn't even change its sound. My co-worker was sold on the spot and his days with Ryobi were over.

There had already been a previous exposure though, as there once was a tire changing episode where some of the tire nuts were helplessly stuck until another co-worker got the biggest Milwaukee nutrunner of his on the stubborn nut and softly touched the trigger. WHUMMMMM!

Though I have had warnings that they may be a bit too powerful for their own good and may end up breaking themselves.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Powerhouses with a price tag to match. The reason why my co-worker offloaded his Ryobis on me was that he once watched a maintenance man of our factory use a Milwaukee drill at work. The 230 pound man put his weight on the drill and started pushing it into solid bit of steel and the drill didn't even change its sound. My co-worker was sold on the spot and his days with Ryobi were over.

There had already been a previous exposure though, as there once was a tire changing episode where some of the tire nuts were helplessly stuck until another co-worker got the biggest Milwaukee nutrunner of his on the stubborn nut and softly touched the trigger. WHUMMMMM!

Though I have had warnings that they may be a bit too powerful for their own good and may end up breaking themselves.
I work with an engineer who does handy man stuff on the side and a former mechanic and they both try to get me to invest in Milwaukee tools. So I bought a Milwaukee box cutter at Home Depot and sent a text announcing I finally bought some Milwaukee tools followed by the anticlimactic picture of the box cutter. I will say it is a pretty nice box cutter though, I feel like a mid century gangster when I hold the button and sling the blade out.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I have a milwuakee reciprocating saw. I have it because it was on sale when I needed one. It works. I haven’t done any stressful jobs with it

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
This should be easy then: name two.
Unlike some of you I don’t have a penchant for spending all kinds of time sifting through old posts here to dredge them up

Or wait- do I have to come up with evidence that people do that on here? Or can you just accept that it happens? I don’t need to waste my time to prove to you that people were white-knighting for Cohglan.

:laugh: Not getting worked up. I just like pointing out when you make absurd statements like this that aren't based in reality. Once again, you are making it up to say you've seen "A lot" of apologists for him. that's just not happening on this board. A couple? sure, but that's about it.

Vast majority feel he's at best a #7 and with who we have signed right now, more like an 8 or 9.
LOL so your whole issue is “A lot” vs “A couple”, holy f***ing semantics batman. At least you admit it happened.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I gave away my Ryobi 18V. The motor kept overheating after 5-10 minutes. I saw some hacks that involved cracking the case and installing a fan or a heat sink, but ain't nobody got time for that.

I may make the jump to battery powered at some point, but Ryobi ain't it for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad