GWT: Premier League Round 3

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Don't kid yourself, Arsenal on paper are as talented as Liverpool. They just have a senile coach who has most likely lost the room and the patience of his players. Did you watch the game against Leicester? The team showed signs of rebellion and came back from being down twice. Now this isn't to downgrade Liverpool; they're a great side and should challenge for the title, but to imply that Arsenal are below them is a bit overzealous. Lovren and Gomez (and the whole backline) don't stand a chance against tougher matchups btw.

No they're not. Midfield is beyond weak, they got powerhoused by the other three midfielders on the pitch. Those guys played like amateurs by comparison. Defense is even worse than Liverpool's. Good forward line, but they have four goals total and all of them were in one game.

Talent also means that the players know their roles and do a great job carrying them out.

The only things that can stop Liverpool from achieving their goals (challenging for and winning trophies) are a lack of concentration, lack of depth, and Lovren. They have the quality, but they also have those three problems until proven otherwise. I did think those three things were big problems, but the concentration is improved from last season if not great. Those are also very big problems for a team to have, but it's definitely not a lack of talent.

Last edited:

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Excellent win. If Mane/Salah/Firmino can play 2/3 of the games together, they will get at least 4. Too many goals.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Don't kid yourself, Arsenal on paper are as talented as Liverpool. They just have a senile coach who has most likely lost the room and the patience of his players. Did you watch the game against Leicester? The team showed signs of rebellion and came back from being down twice. Now this isn't to downgrade Liverpool; they're a great side and should challenge for the title, but to imply that Arsenal are below them is a bit overzealous. Lovren and Gomez (and the whole backline) don't stand a chance against tougher matchups btw.

Well, first of all the coach has a massive influence on how a team should be rated for a season so that should always be factored in. Secondly Arsenal's "on paper" team is overrated and no they're not on the same level as Liverpool.

I'm not sure you have watched or paid enough attention to Liverpool but Lovren was part of the defence that didn't drop a single game against a team in the top 7 last season, and won the most points of any team among them while allowing the least goals (IIRC). They're a very effective back line especially against "tougher" teams. The issues come in lack of focus or concentration where they have games where they're not as involved all game because the other team sits back and defends in blocks.

Also mentioning Gomez, lol

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Only in midfield. Everything else is reasonably close (with one team edging it one way or another) and Arsenal have a better keeper. It just so happens that midfield play is what separates teams the most

Liverpool were missing two midfielders today as well. Can was out of position in addition to that.

Last edited:

Plato

Nov 12, 2005
New York
Decent enough performance from Newcastle this weekend. Won't get too excited as the goals came either from terrible giveaways or from complete WH defensive collapse. Hopefully this give Mitro some confidence however.

Need another 2 first team players before the window closes but that's wishful thinking. Really wouldn't mind Praet...

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Gotta laugh at Liverpool fans who were skeptical about Salah. Whoever saw him play knew he would fit well with them and specially under Klopp. He's workhorse with very underrated skillset.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Gotta laugh at Liverpool fans who were skeptical about Salah. Whoever saw him play knew he would fit well with them and specially under Klopp. He's workhorse with very underrated skillset.

Salah is fine as long as he doesn't have to use his right foot.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Arsenal will still beat up on the lousy teams. The difference will be if Liverpool prove they can take 3 points consistently from the Watford's of the league. Arsenal also has a deeper squad. Both teams will be fighting for 4th.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Liverpool is better at almost every position in their starting XI. The only player we'd take from them is Sanchez over Salah probably.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Does NBCSN air Premier League Review anymore? Considering they ****ed us over on Extra Time just wondering if they ****ed us over on the Review show too.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I'd take Koscielny and Cech too.

Ignoring the 3 FA Cups that were won in the past 4 years?

Strictly based on talent Arsenal has a better squad than Liverpool except at midfield.

The meaningless trophy. Half the top flight teams rest players in it, including Liverpool. It was definitely worth resting players in it last season. I do think it is valuable to win that trophy, but I don't think it determines anything at all really. That trophy last season was also a Pyrrhic victory of sorts.

I personally think the squads are about equal on talent until midfield. And I don't know why Arsenal have done nothing about that.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
I'd take Koscielny and Cech too.

The meaningless trophy. Half the top flight teams rest players in it, including Liverpool. It was definitely worth resting players in it last season. I do think it is valuable to win that trophy, but I don't think it determines anything at all really. That trophy last season was also a Pyrrhic victory of sorts.

I personally think the squads are about equal on talent until midfield. And I don't know why Arsenal have done nothing about that.

They haven't really done anything with the midfield ever since Vieira left. I was speaking on talent alone. Who in Liverpool's squad has Ozil's vision? Or Sanchez's skills? Lacazette's finishing?

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Vision clearly Coutinho does, who is still there and still going to be there. I'm not going to talk about stats because there are a few players who had the same assists as Ozil last year but it would sound crazy to bring them up. I think Firmino does too.

Mane was headed to 20 goals before getting hurt last season. He's not a better finisher than Lacazette but he has the whole package, can dribble through or past anyone, and always picks the right runs. Game intelligence is very high. Even if Mane winds up with more goals it doesn't mean he's the better finisher, he's just incredibly capable at creating a massive pile of his own chances.

There's nobody else in England with Sanchez's skill level, I've said that for about a year now. Clearly the best player on either team and for me was the best performer in the whole country last season.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I can't say who's team is better because we just got thrashed 4-0, but would Arsenal have done better with a better managerial if the squad was the same? Easy yes, but in the end this is fictional elements.

Also Salah is a gloried Danny Welbeck. He somehow got MOTM from Sky Sports, but should have done more. He got on the stat sheet, but should have had a hattrick based on the chances Arsenal gave him. That Cech save was superb, but Lee Dixon; an Arsenal homer said that was a bigger miss than a bigger save which I will tend to agree with. The dude will score, but for every goal he has, he will shoot right into the goalkeeper every seven or so opportunities.

Neville said the whole squad should be transfer listed around HT. He didn't hold back.
Again those are players and not Wenger. In this video Neville says during the post game that he feels so sorry for the legendary man and how the players let him down. No mention of him buying those players or those tactics which killed us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73Wjud1KqTk

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Media narrative interestingly seems to be about how bad Arsenal was as opposed to how good Liverpool was.

frostyflo

Jan 29, 2009
Austria
I know everyone ripping on Arsenal but Everton were terrible today. Maybe it has to do with having played a few days ago but still, a bit of a gutless performance, their midfield did nothing, forwards weren't very good at holding the ball, and they kept their shape decently well defensively but Chelsea got it done. Didn't even get a touch in the 18 yard box till the 2nd half I believe and only real threat came late in the game. Cracked like eggs under any pressure when they got the ball into Chelsea's half.

They're expected to compete with the top 6 but the two Prem games I've seen from them haven't really suggested that and I wouldn't be surprised if a Leicester or Southampton pips them for 7th either.

I completely agree.
I expected a hard fought game but it was quite an easy W for Chelsea as Everton looked lost and tired...#29 looked good thou

Count me as one who believes in Morata...his scoring rate is insane and he'll only get better under Conte

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Media narrative interestingly seems to be about how bad Arsenal was as opposed to how good Liverpool was.

Frankly that's the bigger story. This wasn't a game where Arsenal played well and Liverpool still stomped them. Arsenal was atrocious and anytime a team like that is that bad, that's the story.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Come now, there are Arsenal fans who have argued on this board that Sanchez is a mug and they could sell him tomorrow and be possibly better off.

I think some Arsenal players are severely overrated.

Ozil and Sanchez are good to great when they want to be. Lacazette should be good. But what else is really that great? Bellerin? Monreal?

I think Cech played well yesterday, but he has been on a decline for a while.

Liverpool was also missing three or four players who might have had an argument to start (Clyne, Coutinho, Lallana, Alexander Arnold).

That side isn't good enough and Sanchez knows it.

Adonis Creed

King of the East
Apr 13, 2015
I prefer Liverpool fwd-midfilders...

harder working...only Sanchez is better than what they have.

Ozil-Ox-Iwobi-Walcott are inferioir to Cout-Mane-Salah...

and Lack of Zest is inferior to Firminho.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad