GWT: Premier League Round 3

Discussion in 'Soccer' started by Live in the Now, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Adele Dazeem

Adele Dazeem Registered User

Stocks and Stuff
    Wenger needs to go, it as simple as that. And they should bring Tuchel in.

2. Live in the Now

Live in the Now Registered User

Awards:
    No they're not. Midfield is beyond weak, they got powerhoused by the other three midfielders on the pitch. Those guys played like amateurs by comparison. Defense is even worse than Liverpool's. Good forward line, but they have four goals total and all of them were in one game.

Talent also means that the players know their roles and do a great job carrying them out.

The only things that can stop Liverpool from achieving their goals (challenging for and winning trophies) are a lack of concentration, lack of depth, and Lovren. They have the quality, but they also have those three problems until proven otherwise. I did think those three things were big problems, but the concentration is improved from last season if not great. Those are also very big problems for a team to have, but it's definitely not a lack of talent.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  3. Halladay

Halladay Folesian Society

Excellent win. If Mane/Salah/Firmino can play 2/3 of the games together, they will get at least 4. Too many goals.

4. YNWA14

YNWA14 Onbreekbaar

Well, first of all the coach has a massive influence on how a team should be rated for a season so that should always be factored in. Secondly Arsenal's "on paper" team is overrated and no they're not on the same level as Liverpool.

I'm not sure you have watched or paid enough attention to Liverpool but Lovren was part of the defence that didn't drop a single game against a team in the top 7 last season, and won the most points of any team among them while allowing the least goals (IIRC). They're a very effective back line especially against "tougher" teams. The issues come in lack of focus or concentration where they have games where they're not as involved all game because the other team sits back and defends in blocks.

Also mentioning Gomez, lol

5. bluesfan94

bluesfan94 #PetroforNorris

Player for player arsenal isn't outclassed talent wise.

6. Live in the Now

Awards:
    Only in midfield. Everything else is reasonably close (with one team edging it one way or another) and Arsenal have a better keeper. It just so happens that midfield play is what separates teams the most

Liverpool were missing two midfielders today as well. Can was out of position in addition to that.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  7. Plato

Plato Registered User

Decent enough performance from Newcastle this weekend. Won't get too excited as the goals came either from terrible giveaways or from complete WH defensive collapse. Hopefully this give Mitro some confidence however.

Need another 2 first team players before the window closes but that's wishful thinking. Really wouldn't mind Praet...

8. phisherman

phisherman Registered User

Ah another set of fans that are overrating their team with no trophies to show it.

9. Luigi Habs

Luigi Habs Captain Saku

Gotta laugh at Liverpool fans who were skeptical about Salah. Whoever saw him play knew he would fit well with them and specially under Klopp. He's workhorse with very underrated skillset.

10. Live in the Now

Awards:
    Nothing wrong with comparing two teams that don't win anything to each other.

11. Savant

Savant Registered User

Salah is fine as long as he doesn't have to use his right foot.

12. Savant

Savant Registered User

Arsenal will still beat up on the lousy teams. The difference will be if Liverpool prove they can take 3 points consistently from the Watford's of the league. Arsenal also has a deeper squad. Both teams will be fighting for 4th.

13. phisherman

Ignoring the 3 FA Cups that were won in the past 4 years?

Strictly based on talent Arsenal has a better squad than Liverpool except at midfield.

14. YNWA14

YNWA14 Onbreekbaar

Liverpool is better at almost every position in their starting XI. The only player we'd take from them is Sanchez over Salah probably.

15. AdmiralsFan24

AdmiralsFan24 Registered User

Does NBCSN air Premier League Review anymore? Considering they ****ed us over on Extra Time just wondering if they ****ed us over on the Review show too.

16. Live in the Now

Awards:
    I'd take Koscielny and Cech too.

The meaningless trophy. Half the top flight teams rest players in it, including Liverpool. It was definitely worth resting players in it last season. I do think it is valuable to win that trophy, but I don't think it determines anything at all really. That trophy last season was also a Pyrrhic victory of sorts.

I personally think the squads are about equal on talent until midfield. And I don't know why Arsenal have done nothing about that.

17. phisherman

They haven't really done anything with the midfield ever since Vieira left. I was speaking on talent alone. Who in Liverpool's squad has Ozil's vision? Or Sanchez's skills? Lacazette's finishing?

18. Live in the Now

Awards:
    Vision clearly Coutinho does, who is still there and still going to be there. I'm not going to talk about stats because there are a few players who had the same assists as Ozil last year but it would sound crazy to bring them up. I think Firmino does too.

Mane was headed to 20 goals before getting hurt last season. He's not a better finisher than Lacazette but he has the whole package, can dribble through or past anyone, and always picks the right runs. Game intelligence is very high. Even if Mane winds up with more goals it doesn't mean he's the better finisher, he's just incredibly capable at creating a massive pile of his own chances.

There's nobody else in England with Sanchez's skill level, I've said that for about a year now. Clearly the best player on either team and for me was the best performer in the whole country last season.

19. S E P H

S E P H @SEPH_WHL

WHL
    I can't say who's team is better because we just got thrashed 4-0, but would Arsenal have done better with a better managerial if the squad was the same? Easy yes, but in the end this is fictional elements.

Also Salah is a gloried Danny Welbeck. He somehow got MOTM from Sky Sports, but should have done more. He got on the stat sheet, but should have had a hattrick based on the chances Arsenal gave him. That Cech save was superb, but Lee Dixon; an Arsenal homer said that was a bigger miss than a bigger save which I will tend to agree with. The dude will score, but for every goal he has, he will shoot right into the goalkeeper every seven or so opportunities.

Again those are players and not Wenger. In this video Neville says during the post game that he feels so sorry for the legendary man and how the players let him down. No mention of him buying those players or those tactics which killed us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73Wjud1KqTk

20. Savant

Savant Registered User

Media narrative interestingly seems to be about how bad Arsenal was as opposed to how good Liverpool was.

21. frostyflo

frostyflo Registered User

I completely agree.
    I expected a hard fought game but it was quite an easy W for Chelsea as Everton looked lost and tired...#29 looked good thou

Count me as one who believes in Morata...his scoring rate is insane and he'll only get better under Conte

22. hatterson

hatterson Registered User

Software Developer
    Frankly that's the bigger story. This wasn't a game where Arsenal played well and Liverpool still stomped them. Arsenal was atrocious and anytime a team like that is that bad, that's the story.

23. Chimaera

Chimaera same ol' Caps

Come now, there are Arsenal fans who have argued on this board that Sanchez is a mug and they could sell him tomorrow and be possibly better off.

I think some Arsenal players are severely overrated.

Ozil and Sanchez are good to great when they want to be. Lacazette should be good. But what else is really that great? Bellerin? Monreal?

I think Cech played well yesterday, but he has been on a decline for a while.

Liverpool was also missing three or four players who might have had an argument to start (Clyne, Coutinho, Lallana, Alexander Arnold).

That side isn't good enough and Sanchez knows it.

24. Adonis Creed

Adonis Creed King of the East

I prefer Liverpool fwd-midfilders...

harder working...only Sanchez is better than what they have.

Ozil-Ox-Iwobi-Walcott are inferioir to Cout-Mane-Salah...

and Lack of Zest is inferior to Firminho.

25. Wee Baby Seamus

Wee Baby Seamus Yo, Goober, where's the meat?

Were I not on my phone I'd reply with a photo of Eden Hazard laughing.