GWT: Premier League round 26

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Yes, handball was there and could have been called. 50/50 call I'd say. But if Salah was offside, that handball doesn't even exist.
Yeah, it’s the clear ball to hand or hand to ball. But the arm is away from the body.

It’s probably not offside, but it’s close

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
He sniffed out way more than he slotted. Besides the Son thing he shut everything else down. And it’s not a penalty. Over aggressiveness or not, there was no play on the ball.
You can't be happy with a CB playing well over 50% of his play. Come on.
He made one huge mistake that should have resulted in a goal, and another one (ball was not dangerous, he had no reason to kick like that) that did cost the tying goal.
To call that "great" is not a stretch, it's fantasy.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I think there was more good than bad from VVD and Lovren to be fair, but yes, anytime you concede late even if it’s dodgy there’s some questions to ask.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
idHHCBATuQiYQoT6DfQVlPBh1wargNV0NAStDt17Z8E.jpg

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Liverpool would have won if not for a dubious last minute penalty. I think the approach was fine. With a bit more focus and also luck in the final pass you would have scored 4 and you'd talk differently about the match.

Or with a little better defending and goal keeping by Spurs the game would have ended 1-1 and the penalties would have been irrelevant.

Liverpool scores a goal off a terrible mistake by Dier, gave up a goal on a ridiculous shot, had Mane botch up about 5 chances, and then had 3 points nearly rescued by an insane individual play.

Neither team offered much quality through the game and, reffing decisions aside, it’s hard to say either really deserved more than a point.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Lost in the hubbub is that Lamela was actually offside. So now it really shouldn't have been a penalty.
If he really was offside it’s absurd.

I still can’t recall having seen a side official change two massive calls on his own. Especially that late. I’m always of the opinion of let the ref make the big decisions especially when he has a good look and did nothing.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
You can't be happy with a CB playing well over 50% of his play. Come on.
He made one huge mistake that should have resulted in a goal, and another one (ball was not dangerous, he had no reason to kick like that) that did cost the tying goal.
To call that "great" is not a stretch, it's fantasy.
It’s not a penalty. It’s never a penalty. Lovren (who was great) and him were both very good today. No reason to change the narrative because the refs botched it.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Anyway, Pool were efficient parking the bus, but were tired at the end and left space.
I can read Verthongen and VVD are top 10 defensemen ten times a day on this board, but their defending this game warrants an exclusion from top 50 if you ask me. Such incredible misakes aren't made by top defensemen.

That's ludicrous. Vertonghen was fantastic apart from in one single sequence, the same that Salah scored his second goal in. You could argue that Hugo could have bailed him out there too, so the mistake wouldn't be magnified.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
So two very, very questionable penalties given despite that both 'penalties' were offside lol

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Not very conclusive to me. The angle favors the thought that he's offside. #26 probably covers him from the assistant's viewpoint.
Well is the assistant is going to over rule the ref....

I wish corporate America was run like this and I could tell me boss to piss off.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
If he really was offside it’s absurd.

I still can’t recall having seen a side official change two massive calls on his own. Especially that late. I’m always of the opinion of let the ref make the big decisions especially when he has a good look and did nothing.

Looking at the image, that’s basically an impossible call for the assistant to make. It looks like he’s maybe slightly offside, but he’s got a defender right on him and another on the near side.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
That's ludicrous. Vertonghen was fantastic apart from in one single sequence, the same that Salah scored his second goal in. You could argue that Hugo could have bailed him out there too, so the mistake wouldn't be magnified.
That defending was horrendous. Amateurish to turn away from the player and offer him a clear shot.
No way Lloris expected his player to react like this.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Looking at the image, that’s basically an impossible call for the assistant to make. It looks like he’s maybe slightly offside, but he’s got a defender right on him and another on the near side.
If the linesman can somehow call that contact certainly he can see the offside?

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis

Yeah, that's a penalty. First one wasn't but we didn't score there anyway.

Looks like a pen to me. Haven’t seen the first one yet. Clearly gets him in the calf and you can see Lamela’s leg buckle at the contact. Does he then embellish? Sure but you can see the force of the contact immediately and that can’t be acted. It certainly would be a foul in other parts of the pitch.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Well is the assistant is going to over rule the ref....

I wish corporate America was run like this and I could tell me boss to piss off.

You should look up the definition of overrule.

The ref has final authority, period. He is allowed to take input from his assistant, which he did in this case, but he’s under no obligation to follow it.

You can argue he should have trusted his initial call instead of changing it on input, but that’s fundamentally different than overruling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad