GWT: Premier League round 26

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I said numerous times its not a penalty but he clearly made contact. Why should Lamela get banned for getting hit and the ref making the wrong call.

Take into consideration Lamela's injury history.

Yeah, I take that back, obviously. If there's contact nobody should be banned at all regardless of if the call was crap.

Still, I'm not sure how an assistant with that view would be allowed to overrule the ref that was standing right there. Or why the ref would allow him to.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Getting kicked in the back of the leg like that cannot be compared to run of the mill incidental contact.
It’s never a penalty. Not in a million years. They got tied up. S#!t happens. It happens in every game.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
On the second penalty, I only seen it once. If van Dijk's boot made any contact with Lamela then it is unquestionably a penalty. You don't get to swing your boot, miss the ball and hit an opponent half way up the leg and not expect a foul given against you. Intent is meaningless.

Lovren is only going for the ball becuase Kane is there. Kane’s presence makes Lovren act on the ball so t should have been blown.
This is the problem with the idiotic idea of "not interfering". If you are a defender with a player behind you, you are being told to play to the whistle and also being told to trust the linesman will get it right.

If a player is offside and the ball is played in his direction then the flag should go up. His offside position is impacting the defenders positioning and reaction to passes.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Listening to the commentary, I think it's Mustoe, going on about van Dijk's kick not being intentional. Someone should tell him it doesn't matter.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Once again contact does not mean foul. There has to be impediment, recklessness or excessive force. Both penalties were pure dives.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
It’s not a penalty because VVVD made contact. He has the right to go for the ball. He can’t see behind him and he has a right to go for the ball. Lamela jumps in front and that’s where the contact comes from. By the letter of the law, he has to be able to go for the ball. Lamela like usual sells the heck out of it. The ref had a fair look at it and let the assistant over rule him. I really hope after today and the Mane red this ref is permanently banned from Liverpool matches. It would be worth a Klopp fine or suspension to get it there.

I can see some argument for that one (though it’s still a bit dodgy in my mind) but the first one is offsides at minimum and a probable dive after that.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Not sure if the NBCSN crew counts as English media or not. They’re all English and cover PL football exclusively, but employed by a US company.

They mentioned it a couple times on the post game show.

I find Mustoe and Martino are absolute idiots. Lee Dixon is beyond belief with his stupidity as well.

I like le Soux and Earle.

So i guess it depends on who is saying what.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
It’s not a penalty because VVVD made contact. He has the right to go for the ball. He can’t see behind him and he has a right to go for the ball. Lamela jumps in front and that’s where the contact comes from. By the letter of the law, he has to be able to go for the ball. Lamela like usual sells the heck out of it. The ref had a fair look at it and let the assistant over rule him. I really hope after today and the Mane red this ref is permanently banned from Liverpool matches. It would be worth a Klopp fine or suspension to get it there.

I can see some argument for that one (though it’s still a bit dodgy in my mind) but the first one is offsides at minimum and a probable dive after that.

The one where he kicked Ederson in the face? How are you still questioning that?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I find Mustoe and Martino are absolute idiots. Lee Dixon is beyond belief with his stupidity as well.

I like le Soux and Earle.

So i guess it depends on who is saying what.
Le Soux hates Liverpool because of Robbie Fowler. He will never give them a favorable opinion.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The part that bothers me the most is that it was a horrendous performance where both teams showed no quality in attack at all except for one player being brilliant at the end. And one or both teams will finish in a CL position. Probably both.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Saw this 10 times... Yeah, he hits him on the calf and it is a penalty.
Lamela was no where near being able to make a play on the ball and he was grazed at best. Weak ref makes a horrible call. Moss is the only ref that lets linemen run the game. It’s not a penalty.

Lamela May have been offsides too.

Reactions: YNWA14

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
The part that bothers me the most is that it was a horrendous performance where both teams showed no quality in attack at all except for one player being brilliant at the end.

Like I said, horrible advertisement for both teams. Of course you're in the same league as United so you don't have to worry about being the worst for a big side.

What I would think would bother you most is Klopp. Parks the bus and pretty much gives away the match and now his focus will be on the refs.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Lamela was no where near being able to make a play on the ball and he was grazed at best. Weak ref makes a horrible call.
That guy is the biggest Argentina homer on the board and he loves lamela. Good luck with this one.

Anyway. Terrible officiating. Kicked him full in the back of the leg...lol. Spurs deserved a point but shouldn't have got it.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I don't like the penalty call at all.
And the first penalty call is obviously wrong.

Yes, VVD touched him, but those kind of touches happen a dozen times in each box every game. Calling that a penalty that late? Meh, it would have finished 10-9 in that case.

Anyway, Pool were efficient parking the bus, but were tired at the end and left space.
I can read Verthongen and VVD are top 10 defensemen ten times a day on this board, but their defending this game warrants an exclusion from top 50 if you ask me. Such incredible misakes aren't made by top defensemen.

Spurs lacked creativity and should have finished this game by the 60th minute.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Lamela was no where near being able to make a play on the ball and he was grazed at best. Weak ref makes a horrible call.

Him not being able to make a play doesn't matter you can't swing your foot around and hit other players... "Grazed" VDD didn't check his kick, he's aiming to clear the ball how soft do defenders usually kick a ball to clear it?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
That guy is the biggest Argentina homer on the board and he loves lamela. Good luck with this one.

Anyway. Terrible officiating. Kicked him full in the back of the leg...lol. Spurs deserved a point but shouldn't have got it.
Game should have been 2-1.

Virgil, Lovren and Karius were all great. Just had to get Kane’s 100th goal on national tv.

Spurs should try out for the Olympic diving team.

Reactions: YNWA14

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Like I said, horrible advertisement for both teams. Of course you're in the same league as United so you don't have to worry about being the worst for a big side.

What I would think would bother you most is Klopp. Parks the bus and pretty much gives away the match and now his focus will be on the refs.
To be fair, beyond a rocket and two dodgy penalties, Spurs really don’t get a ton of chances. They carried the play but a lot of it was outside or sent behind for a corner. Liverpool were hanging on, but Spurs is a good attacking team that has given it to a lot of sides.

They also had three or four clear chances to kill the match but didn’t do it today.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

He has the right to go for the ball, but he doesn’t have the right to go for the ball through the attacker.

It’s jot a foul if the attack simply throws himself in front of the defenders kick, but if the attacker is trying to legitimately gain position then it would be a foul.

Personally I think Lamelas actions are more about trying to box out a defender so he can have a shot at goal when the ball lands, but I completely understand the other side of it.

Either way, that difference is when VAR wouldn’t be relevant to this case. It’s a judgement call, which is exactly what VAR *isn't* supposed to flag.

If you want video review of judgement calls, sure, but that’s not what VAR is designed to be this far in England.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00