GWT: Premier League round 26

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Like I said, horrible advertisement for both teams. Of course you're in the same league as United so you don't have to worry about being the worst for a big side.

What I would think would bother you most is Klopp. Parks the bus and pretty much gives away the match and now his focus will be on the refs.
Agree with both of these though. Klopp's approach was terrible and completely gone away from what made us so successful against big sides in his tenure here. Look at how we approached Spurs last season compared to this one. We should NEVER be playing that defensively...we do not have the team to do it.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Him not being able to make a play doesn't matter you can't swing your foot around and hit other players... "Grazed" VDD didn't check his kick, he's aiming to clear the ball how soft do defenders usually kick a ball to clear it?
It’s not a penalty. That happens on 95% on the corner kicks in the PL and there was no play on the ball. It’s not a penalty.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
That guy is the biggest Argentina homer on the board and he loves lamela. Good luck with this one.

Anyway. Terrible officiating. Kicked him full in the back of the leg...lol. Spurs deserved a point but shouldn't have got it.

Yeah, "homer" It took me double digits to see the play to change my mind that it was a penalty. I have favourites from both teams soo? How about you though?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
BTW, honest question : isn't Salah offside on the last goal? I had doubts, but couldn't get a replay that showed it. Very early on the play, before he dribbles.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
He has the right to go for the ball, but he doesn’t have the right to go for the ball through the attacker.

It’s jot a foul if the attack simply throws himself in front of the defenders kick, but if the attacker is trying to legitimately gain position then it would be a foul.

Personally I think Lamelas actions are more about trying to box out a defender so he can have a shot at goal when the ball lands, but I completely understand the other side of it.

Either way, that difference is when VAR wouldn’t be relevant to this case. It’s a judgement call, which is exactly what VAR *isn't* supposed to flag.

If you want video review of judgement calls, sure, but that’s not what VAR is designed to be this far in England.
If the Ref is getting overruled by his linesman then it proves VAR is needed. Clattenberg would never have deferred to his linesman on a play like that.

It’s a shockingly bad call.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Game should have been 2-1.

Virgil, Lovren and Karius were all great. Just had to get Kane’s 100th goal on national tv.

Spurs should try out for the Olympic diving team.
Seriously?
How can you guys rate VVD's game as great when he basically offered Son a clear path to goal? Son should have scored and 100% of the blame was on VVD.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
BTW, honest question : isn't Salah offside on the last goal? I had doubts, but couldn't get a replay that showed it. Very early on the play, before he dribbles.
No. And then he dribbled through 7 people.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Liverpool would have won if not for a dubious last minute penalty. I think the approach was fine. With a bit more focus and also luck in the final pass you would have scored 4 and you'd talk differently about the match.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Seriously?
How can you guys rate VVD's game as great when he basically offered Son a clear path to goal? Son should have scored and 100% of the blame was on VVD.
Maybe? But he was great most of the game and Son clearly didn’t hurt them. He did a whole lot more right than wrong.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
It’s close. I haven’t seen a clean look but it looks like he might be played on.

There’s also a dicey handball in the box as well.

Reffing was all over the place.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Like I said, horrible advertisement for both teams. Of course you're in the same league as United so you don't have to worry about being the worst for a big side.

What I would think would bother you most is Klopp. Parks the bus and pretty much gives away the match and now his focus will be on the refs.

I'm a little more worried by Mane because he had another mid-table level performance and has been doing that all season. Parking the bus was a result of failed final balls that should have resulted in two or three goals. There was one at the end of the first half that was horrendous and would have been an automatic 2-0. Probably would have killed the game right there.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Agree with both of these though. Klopp's approach was terrible and completely gone away from what made us so successful against big sides in his tenure here. Look at how we approached Spurs last season compared to this one. We should NEVER be playing that defensively...we do not have the team to do it.

Did you watch the first half at all?

Last year's game against Spurs Liverpool conceded a massive pile of possession in the second half because the chances were finished and it was 2-0. Your memory is not very good.

They have to play defensively because Coutinho is gone. It would have been 2-0 or 3-0 if he was there and game over, but you think they don't need him. Lol.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden

Nope there is a Tottenham player below him. Don't know who it was but he is in left defender position

here it is: Clippit

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Maybe? But he was great most of the game and Son clearly didn’t hurt them. He did a whole lot more right than wrong.
When a CB offers a goal to an opponent, he doesn't have a great game. Oh and he offered a penalty (even though I don't like the call) because of over-agressiveness.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
To be fair, beyond a rocket and two dodgy penalties, Spurs really don’t get a ton of chances. They carried the play but a lot of it was outside or sent behind for a corner. Liverpool were hanging on, but Spurs is a good attacking team that has given it to a lot of sides.

They also had three or four clear chances to kill the match but didn’t do it today.
Liverpool had a better 1st half. Spuds has a better 2nd half. Liverpool took their chance against play in the 2nd half. Spuds didn’t take their chance against play in the 1st half. They were saved by the refs.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
It’s close. I haven’t seen a clean look but it looks like he might be played on.

There’s also a dicey handball in the box as well.

Reffing was all over the place.
Yes, handball was there and could have been called. 50/50 call I'd say. But if Salah was offside, that handball doesn't even exist.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Liverpool would have won if not for a dubious last minute penalty. I think the approach was fine. With a bit more focus and also luck in the final pass you would have scored 4 and you'd talk differently about the match.
This is possible. Still don't like to see us playing this way and while our final ball was shit this game we shouldn't be sitting back and inviting pressure like that especially after it fails.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
When a CB offers a goal to an opponent, he doesn't have a great game. Oh and he offered a penalty (even though I don't like the call) because of over-agressiveness.
He sniffed out way more than he slotted. Besides the Son thing he shut everything else down. And it’s not a penalty. Over aggressiveness or not, there was no play on the ball.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Like I said, argue the penalty all you like, but Van Dijk 'grazed him'? Lamela dove?

Get a hold of yourselves.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
This is possible. Still don't like to see us playing this way and while our final ball was **** this game we shouldn't be sitting back and inviting pressure like that especially after it fails.

A team can't attack all game against a team like Tottenham and not get scored on or have the energy to finish the game. They 100% must take their chances in the first half.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I'm a little more worried by Mane because he had another mid-table level performance and has been doing that all season. Parking the bus was a result of failed final balls that should have resulted in two or three goals. There was one at the end of the first half that was horrendous and would have been an automatic 2-0. Probably would have killed the game right there.
There were a number of poor final balls. I also had some issues with Milner and Henderson going forward and missed passes, but thought they were ok to good first half.

I would put a bit of the question on Klopp going with neither Ox or Gini, but they certainly lost steam second half. They looked labored.

Mane questions abound, but some of them seem to be to me that he’s forcing it. A goal or two and he will be right back to where it needs to be.

Wasn’t Firminos or Roberson’s best game either going forward either.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Another thing with VVD is it feels so good to have a strong center back who doesn't get bullied so easily by attackers. Both Matip and Lovren tends to get outmuscled way to easy

Reactions: YNWA14

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad