GWT: Premier League Round 2

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Dude man, I just don't know why you aren't able to own the fact you called it and it happened.. Be proud!
But I didn't call it really. Like I didn't say 'he's going to score 40 goals' I just said with the positions he gets into and the chances he'd been on the end of if he improved his finishing he could score 40. I got roasted for it too but I'm not about calling people out. The main thing is that I just want to make sure you know that there is a difference between an expectation and a prediction, and that context is important. Otherwise you're empowering ignorance and that offends me. :p

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Watched extended highlights of this one (the 30 minute ones), don't think I noticed Firmino involved in any of the attacks lol, he needs a rest.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Watched extended highlights of this one (the 30 minute ones), don't think I noticed Firmino involved in any of the attacks lol, he needs a rest.
I think that was a fair assessment today. He did a ton of work defensively though, and had energy in that end but, I think Sturridge could play against Brighton on Saturday if Klopp wants to rotate.

Palace away is always a bit of a smash and grab

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
Did Max Meyer do much of anything?

I had to stop watching shortly after he was subbed on.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Did Max Meyer do much of anything?

I had to stop watching shortly after he was subbed on.
Not really but didnt really have time to. Didn't love the move he made to Palace. Tedesco unlocked him last season and it's hard to see him being utilized that well under someone as rigid as Hodgson

Reactions: Il Mediano

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
A fairly comfortable win on the road against a pretty decent club. I hate saying it as a Spurs fan but I really can't see them being ahead of Liverpool in the standings by the end of the year. I don't think Liverpool will pass Manchester city, but I think they will be a whole lot closer to first and they are to third.

I really enjoy watching the team play. Unlike the last five or six years the attention paid to the club is more than warranted.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I think Man City get 85-95 points and Liverpool get 80-90 points. Very low margin of error.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I think they can appeal to the FA to emergency move for a keeper. I think Liverpool were rejected a few seasons back for it, but I think United was allowed to do so one season?

I'd assume they'd be able to appoint another keeper to the game/tournament roster, but I'd think it'd have to be someone already in their system as opposed to simply being able to purchase someone outright.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Keita is wonderful, don't get me wrong he's probably not going to be very good in the box by any means, but his build up play is fantastic.

Not sure I like that penalty call on Salah. The guy did step on him, but if people were saying that Fellaini was a flop this one wasn't very far from that. I've seen worst not get called....

Sep 19, 2008
Has anyone else been watching this latest Amazon Prime All or Nothing series on Manchester City?

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Liverpool’s off-the-ball work was as relentless as ever, with seven more tackles and 13 more ball recoveries made than Palace, despite enjoying 63 per cent of the ball.

Oh dang.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
j68FoO0ndRsbgcGKgfNI_ZMs7hcnPKxe6VwVF-ZRDow.jpg

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Mane is closer to Salah than Benzema is to Ronaldo, and Mane is incredibly underrated (both on this board and in general), but Mane is not better than Salah.
Fair enough, though I disagree. He will outperform Salah this year and moving forward as long as they stay injury free methinks. Salah might score a bit more, but Mane is the more dynamic threat and better overall. Now, that said, I'm not saying there's some huge gap or anything; they're both top class. I just prefer Mane.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Pretty convienent to leave out giving up 4 to Tottenham, 5 to City, and 3 to Watford. Also played 4 of the other top 5 opponents on the schedule in those first 9 games, so just 6 games against the other top clubs in the last 29 games. Those stats are cherry-picking at it's finest.

It's not like they are bad defensively, but those stats are misleading.

They do have the best balance besides City, and that's all that matters.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Pretty convienent to leave out giving up 4 to Tottenham, 5 to City, and 3 to Watford. Also played 4 of the other top 5 opponents on the schedule in those first 9 games, so just 6 games against the other top clubs in the last 29 games. Those stats are cherry-picking at it's finest.

It's not like they are bad defensively, but those stats are misleading.

They do have the best balance besides City, and that's all that matters.
How is it in any way cherry picking? Cherry picking would be like 'remove the City and Tottenham losses last season and Liverpool have the best defensive record in the PL'. They still, as you said, played more games against their top opposition in the other 29 games...did the other top 6 teams have it much harder or something? Not to mention if you're including Arsenal and United in the 'other top 5 opponents' Liverpool gave up 0 to Arsenal and 0 to United in that first 9 games as well, and if you think that the City game was a good representation of Liverpool as well...

Not really sure how those stats are misleading in any way. If anything look at those 9 games and put it into context: Watford scored 2 offside goals and City were playing with an extra man for 2/3rds of the game on a fluke red.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Pretty much and random trophies from the 1910s and 1960s don't really matter like majority of United trophies are as well. All Pool has on the banners now is "Champion's League Finalist".
This is such a weird comment I don't even know where to start.

Trophies are the only thing that matter in soccer...yikes.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
How is it in any way cherry picking? Cherry picking would be like 'remove the City and Tottenham losses last season and Liverpool have the best defensive record in the PL'. They still, as you said, played more games against their top opposition in the other 29 games...did the other top 6 teams have it much harder or something? Not to mention if you're including Arsenal and United in the 'other top 5 opponents' Liverpool gave up 0 to Arsenal and 0 to United in that first 9 games as well, and if you think that the City game was a good representation of Liverpool as well...

Not really sure how those stats are misleading in any way. If anything look at those 9 games and put it into context: Watford scored 2 offside goals and City were playing with an extra man for 2/3rds of the game on a fluke red.

They played a greater % against top teams in the first 9 against the top clubs as compared to the last 29 games. There were able to pad their defensive record in the final 29 games. 44.44% vs 20.69%, that's misrepresenting the data. You can look at individual reasons in those games to provide context, but it's still simple data misrepresentation to make Liverpool's defense look better than it did.

City only play 2 teams against the other top clubs in the first 9 matches, Chelsea had 3, United had 1, Tottenham had 2, and Arsenal had 2.

All the other top clubs had a harder final 29 games and an easier first 9. It's obvious data misrepresentation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad